What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 how’s the pork going? Been offline all day so just seen your posts. No idea about deep frying - bet it’ll be good though!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like OMAD for me today. After a couple of black coffees this morning went on a wet and windy charity beach dog walk. Dennis had fun with a few other barking mad pals until they discovered a dead beached dolphin and it took a group effort to shoo them away.
Lunch was already partly prepared https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-club-casserole/servings/7 for a few family members. Everyone enjoyed it ( well, there were empty plates all round) found some DGF peanut and chocolate brownies when clearing the freezer yesterday so had one of those with cream for pud. Couple glasses Shiraz throughout.
Youngest daughter has decided she’s a chess master so is challenging all. I’ve left them to it and curled up on sofa with Little D.
Doubt I’ll eat any more, that was a very nutrient dense meal.
@Annb I wonder what the dietician will say about your bg numbers after the beans? @Debandez has done a similar experiment on herself recently - trying to eat according to DUK guidelines and she found the same as you - very high bg. Glad you’re feeling a bit better today.
I've not tried that DD recipe yet. Looks kind of lasagne-like? I've been going through the Facebook videos (I've "liked" quite a few keto sites) and I've come across a few I know I'll enjoy.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19992298/bacon-ranch-chicken-poppers-recipe/

These look VERY moreish!

https://lowcarbyum.com/baked-chicken-and-zucchini-casserole/

A kind of Mediterranean feel.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51902/pizza-pepperoni-bites-recipe/

Another very moreish nibble.

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-chicken-green-bean-casserole-recipe/

I would add more greens to this - tenderstem broccoli/asparagus.

I've put them in CMT as well.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not tried that DD recipe yet. Looks kind of lasagne-like? I've been going through the Facebook videos (I've "liked" quite a few keto sites) and I've come across a few I know I'll enjoy.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19992298/bacon-ranch-chicken-poppers-recipe/

These look VERY moreish!

https://lowcarbyum.com/baked-chicken-and-zucchini-casserole/

A kind of Mediterranean feel.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51902/pizza-pepperoni-bites-recipe/

Another very moreish nibble.

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-chicken-green-bean-casserole-recipe/

I would add more greens to this - tenderstem broccoli/asparagus.

I've put them in CMT as well.

Will definitely be having a go at a couple of those.
My meal wasn’t really lasagne- like. No layers, it’s all mixed together then a crispy cheese topping ( which I suppose is a bit lasagne like) very tasty though I’m struggling to find dill pickles / gherkins that aren’t in sweetened vinegar.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will definitely be having a go at a couple of those.
My meal wasn’t really lasagne- like. No layers, it’s all mixed together then a crispy cheese topping ( which I suppose is a bit lasagne like) very tasty though I’m struggling to find dill pickles / gherkins that aren’t in sweetened vinegar.
I can help with that - Mrs Elswood Haimisha is what you're after. ASDA & Sainsburys have them up here. Tesco used to but just have the sweet ones now.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...CPGqUPi87sG2qMl-vYIaAiE4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Where did today go? What started out as ‘I’ll just sort out the shoes/mess at the bottom of the wardrobe’ somehow turned into a full-on reorganise all cupboards/sort stuff for the charity shop (just how many t-shirts does one woman need?) and generally have a clear out day. A proper workout! Finally finished 20 minutes after the IP announced dinner was ready - the keep warm setting came in handy.

On to food. Breakfast was M&S Arbroath kippers with butter.

Dinner was slow cooked shoulder of lamb with garlic and rosemary. Left it in a bit longer on your recommendation @DJC3 - good move, the bone just came right out and the meat was very tender. Allowed myself a dessert - whipped some double cream and whipped creamy cheese together and then added to some (25g) gently melted Montezuma’s absolute black with orange and cocoa nibs that a friend gave me for my birthday. Delicious.

Edited for typo

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you handle oats ? I love oats but they give me a spike . Maybe it’s the additive stuff though since I buy it in different flavors .

Awww you have a 4 month baby niece ! I love how they smell at that age . I sniffed my niece so much when she was a baby . She smelled like vanilla ice cream .
Yes I can handle oats, blueberries and yoghurt without spiking. Have been for over a year. FBG 4.2, after 1 hour (meal 52g rolled oats, 170g full fat greek yogurt, 40g blueberries) 5.2, after 2 hour 4.5. I would say that's handling it. Yeah my niece is absolutely adorable and lovely, I hug her, she is making noises and responds to peoples voices, she has just started teething so she gets grumpy at times. It's also great having my sister close we have a great relationship, and her husband is an amazing top bloke.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was 2 meals a day which often happens on Sunday. Did brunch for Mr PM and Zi at 12.00 as he was heading out to the Emirates. I had scrambled egg piled high on slice of LL toast. Mr PM getting a burger outand I am having a meaty lamb chop with portion of mashed swede & carrot left over from Christmas with LOTS of butter. Maybe a couple of gins, still the weekend!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Tea for breakfast, AM + sweetener. CWC and sugar free caramel syrup around 10.30. Hi-lo cheese sandwich with 4 cherry toms and maybe 80 gms cucumber + more TWAM+S around 1.40. Evening was 2 x Sainsbury 97% sausages, 2 eggs, 4 x streaky bacon, reduced s & s tommy k, mini portabello mush and 1 slice Hi Lo + butter to dip into egg and tommy k. 72.5 kgs (21.4 BMI) so ideally I would limit OMADS for a while but ... 72 kgs is low enough.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Chook and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Where did today go? What started out as ‘I’ll just sort out the shoes/mess at the bottom of the wardrobe’ somehow turned into a full-on reorganise all cupboards/sort stuff for the charity shop (just how many t-shirts does one woman need?) and generally have a clear out day. A proper workout! Finally finished 20 minutes after the IP announced dinner was ready - the keep warm setting came in handy.

On to food. Breakfast was M&S Arbroath kippers with butter.

Dinner was slow cooked shoulder of lamb with garlic and rosemary. Left it in a bit longer on your recommendation @DJC3 - good move, the bone just came right out and the meat was very tender. Allowed myself a dessert - whipped some double cream and whipped creamy cheese together and then added to some (25g) gently melted Montezuma’s absolute black with orange and cocoa nibs that a friend gave me for my birthday. Delicious.

Edited for typo

Well done for the sorting. Must be Spring in the air as I did a similar thing last night - around midnight I stupidly started to sort a bit of paperwork and realised there were several piles that I hadn’t filed, and a lot of stuff which needed chucking. Ridiculous time to start, finally made myself go to bed at around 2am but I still have piles of half sorted papers around - it was tidier before I started.
Agree about the lamb shoulder - the longer the better. Today was my first proper dessert for ages too, maybe we should make a pact - puddings for Sundays only?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for the sorting.
I’m knackered. Aching all over. LOL
finally made myself go to bed at around 2am but I still have piles of half sorted papers around - it was tidier before I started
Know that feeling. Hope you get them sorted.
Today was my first proper dessert for ages too, maybe we should make a pact - puddings for Sundays only?
I’m trying to ditch them altogether, 2 in 2020 so far so not doing badly.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb sorry to hear about the bean and pancake fiasco. I have two small tins of reduced sugar beans in the cupboard that may never get used. Mr PM likes the Branston ones. Its awful that they made you feel so bad afterwards though probs due to big jump in BG and effect of artificial sweeteners. I know, its a constant effort to be “good” and even then we are not always rewarded. Its harsh that you fancied a small tin of beans but it just didnt work out.
Not long ago I did brunch for Mr PM before he set off for the footie and cutting a fresh crusty giraffe loaf the smell was tantalising and all I fould think was how nice it would be to have two thick slices spread with butter. I had a tiny slice of LivLife toast piled high with scrambled egg instead which was very nice but it was not as good as it could have been! Take care Ann and good luck with the dietician.
I got a salt & pepper loaf for Hubby and had the same problem. Worse, it was freshly baked and I could smell it all the way home. Like you, all I could think about - warm slice and butter. I resisted though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

its been a watery theme for the last week, culminating today in a detached downpipe from the bathroom and guttering.
Mr B was merrily showering, and I was aghastedly watching all his water spew out or the downpipe/soilpipe and splash enthusiastically down the walls and 2 windows. Thankfully both windows were closed.

Major troop mobilisation, and we hit B&Q at 10am for Mr B to hit the ground running with a bacon roll :hilarious: and me to bang my head against the shelving. Standard sizes seem to have changed. Oh well, we managed.

This house is basically held together by cheap bodge jobs, and we are gradually dealing with them one by one.

This time, some previous botch-artist chose to attach the downpipe clips (white plastic) to pieces of untreated wood, and then to the wall. 10? 20? years later, the wood has rotted to the texture of sponge, and the recent storms just ripped the whole mess off the wall.

All sorted now. By the Dynamic B Duo, a trusty electric drill, electric screwdriver, a Gorgeous Assistant and a good few expletives.

Fuel during this adventure was
Him: bacon roll, Me: lc hc
Him: cheese and ham rollups, Me: sirloin
D for both: lime and chilli chicken stirfry, finished with cream.

Oh, and I also fitted some hanging shelves in the new look hall.

Phew! Feet up, and a long glass of something cold now.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good job @Brunneria and Mr B! @Goonergal - I'm asking myself where the weekend went having had the boys here and back to their swimming lessons today. Can't remember if I said but No. 2 wanted a wetsuit for swimming too but, unlike big brother he wanted knee length and short sleeves. Highly delighted with new suit until he asked where's the head cover bit?? Eh? Then I realised he was talking about burka wetsuits. I pointed out I was only ribbing his brother as he constantly complained about the cold. Awww! I wanted to be a ninja Well done with the clear out @Goonergal. I did the wardrobe back in August when we had the bedroom ceiling collapse but I need to revisit the kitchen before that gets mixed up. Today was another OMAD. Bed 5.2 FBG 5.6. BGs are very stable. Week 7 of the Diet Doctor schedule starts tomorrow. I'm sticking with it although I would like a bit DGF something or berries or HC something! I'll stick at it though. The only alcohol I've had since 1 January is my campari and soda on a Sunday.
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing at swimming lessons.
D. The DD pork chop with the cheesy cauliflower steak. I also added a couple of mushrooms and green beans. I may have a Skyr later. Usual campari and soda.
Ah well Monday tomorrow and back on the school run.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 do you have the DD Eat app? I’ve just discovered that all my meal plans are saved on it. Not the original Wt loss for good ones, but if they’ve been adapted and saved they’ll be there, along with all the other weekly plans I’ve ever done. Much easier for me to access as I use my phone for everything and if I’m out shopping it’s much simpler to look at an app than trawl through emails for this weeks plan.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to add the photo.
DD-350-2-1.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 do you have the DD Eat app? I’ve just discovered that all my meal plans are saved on it. Not the original Wt loss for good ones, but if they’ve been adapted and saved they’ll be there, along with all the other weekly plans I’ve ever done. Much easier for me to access as I use my phone for everything and if I’m out shopping it’s much simpler to look at an app than trawl through emails for this weeks plan.
I think it is currently iPhone only. I'm sure I read they are working on the Android version. What I do currently is keep an internet tab open on the week I'm on so I can access the recipes/list etc.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m trying to ditch them altogether, 2 in 2020 so far so not doing badly.

That’s definitely the best plan, and I agree that abstinence is often easier than cutting back. Once I have a little of anything puddingy or chocolatey it sort of opens the floodgates. Never is too long a time for me though so I shall just have to try to limit them. ( also I have a lot of DGF cakes in the freezer and quite a lot of chocolate in my cupboard, shame to waste them)