Totally unrelated to diabetes !!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because members of this forum are knowledgeable about many things
Why do I.have more hard skin on the heel of my right foot than my left foot ,any links gratefully received :) !!!!
Carol

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Why do I.have more hard skin on the heel of my right foot than my left foot ,any links gratefully received :) !!!!
Carol

Well obviously you haven't been wearing matching socks, check the colours to work out which leads to harder skin. :):):):) (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carol
Could it be your gait or shoe fitting causing more rubbing on your right foot?

M

Member496333

Anecdotally, it does actually sometimes seem that foot conditions are more prevalent on the right side. From dry skin to neuropathy - both appear more common, or worse, in the right foot. I have no idea if this is plausible, but the body is very far from straightforward, so nothing would surprise me.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Some people have one leg shorter than the other. Tailors know this, as it throws the shoulders out of line , for which they compensate by using padding in expensive suits. It is usually almost impossible to notice, check your shoe heels and you will see one is worn more than the other, or stand in front of a mirror and barefoot look at your shoulder line. good luck

Reactions: porl69

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it also be that you put more of your weight on your right foot than you do your left (I know I do) - I only found out when I went to the chiropracter and they checked out how I was balanced - I had 4kg more weight on my right foot the left foot just due to how I was standing!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently most of us have one leg longer than the other, and from first learning to walk we have compensated somehow so we don't limp. This involves putting more weight on the longer leg. I was once told this by a consultant physiotherapist who measured my legs as I was experiencing pain in one of my heels. I had no idea one leg was shorter than the other.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Anecdotally, it does actually sometimes seem that foot conditions are more prevalent on the right side. From dry skin to neuropathy - both appear more common, or worse, in the right foot. I have no idea if this is plausible, but the body is very far from straightforward, so nothing would surprise me.

When I had numbness (neuropathy) it was the right side only. The R-ALA fixed that.

So, that's one score for the right side theory.

M

Member496333

When I had numbness (neuropathy) it was the right side only. The R-ALA fixed that.

So, that's one score for the right side theory.

Same for me also. Neuropathy was much more troublesome in the right foot, and the skin was made of stone compared to the left...

Reactions: Tophat1900

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the opposite, left foot is always worse, but I always just put it down to being left side dominant, even though I'm right handed, and I know I don't stand square unless I think about it

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the opposite, left foot is always worse, but I always just put it down to being left side dominant, even though I'm right handed, and I know I don't stand square unless I think about it

This is what I thought! I am right side dominant and suffer from dry hands and feet mainly on the right side (with a slight numbness in sensation on the feet, nurse doesnt think there is damage there though), my muscles on my right leg are also weaker (collapsed arch - when doing the strengthening exercises I notice it). But I took that to be wear and tear because of the right dominance... (plus I have an old knee injury on that side, so I am sure that factors in somewhere...).

I have hard skin under my right foot, which is sadly getting worse... But I also have more of a collapsed arch here, so my foot may be moving in such a way when I walk that the skin is rubbed (is it called pronating?). Are your arches all normal? When you stand do you do the penguin feet or do the toes point out straight? My physio noted straight away that my right foot points outward when I stand. Maybe I am part penguin? :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I didn't expect so many replies I shall go and measure my legs and try to lead with my left foot !
Carol

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m left handed and I have exactly the same on my left foot

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow I didn't expect so many replies I shall go and measure my legs and try to lead with my left foot !
Carol
Another right-handed one here who starts with, and stands primarily on, her very calloused, cloven right foot. It's a thing. :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what I thought! I am right side dominant and suffer from dry hands and feet mainly on the right side (with a slight numbness in sensation on the feet, nurse doesnt think there is damage there though), my muscles on my right leg are also weaker (collapsed arch - when doing the strengthening exercises I notice it). But I took that to be wear and tear because of the right dominance... (plus I have an old knee injury on that side, so I am sure that factors in somewhere...).

I have hard skin under my right foot, which is sadly getting worse... But I also have more of a collapsed arch here, so my foot may be moving in such a way when I walk that the skin is rubbed (is it called pronating?). Are your arches all normal? When you stand do you do the penguin feet or do the toes point out straight? My physio noted straight away that my right foot points outward when I stand. Maybe I am part penguin? :D

High arches and feet definitely turn out on both sides (I blame years of standing in "1st position", heels are the worst but big toe can get bad too, but I tore my ligament in my right ankle years ago so this might also contribute to my left side being the stronger. I've found the boots hard skin foot cream works really well for me, it's got a high urea content as is thick and rich too, but if they get to bad I pay a visit to the podiatrist who'll take off the "corners" safely

Reactions: Jam&Scones