Chickpeas and rise in blood sugar

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I read from some online resources that chickpeas are good to control your blood sugar. So I had chickpeas wrapped in a wholemeal flour roll and had it for my lunch. I also had salad with it. My blood sugar was 6.7 before lunch and jumped to 10 just after 2 hours of my lunch. I m bit worried about it. Has anyone experienced similar?

Regards

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't eat chickpeas nor wholemeal anything.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I read from some online resources that chickpeas are good to control your blood sugar. So I had chickpeas wrapped in a wholemeal flour roll and had it for my lunch. I also had salad with it. My blood sugar was 6.7 before lunch and jumped to 10 just after 2 hours of my lunch. I m bit worried about it. Has anyone experienced similar?

Regards
Chickpeas are starchy. Starches are carbs, carbs turn to glucose once ingested. Same goes for your wrap, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- might help clarify things a little... It's everything I wish someone'd told me when I started out on this journey, maybe it'll help you too.

Reactions: biren1973

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Regards
Without you telling us if you know what kind of rise wholemeal flour roll or salad gives you it seems very difficult to know what part the chickpeas played. Maybe not as blunt as @xfieldok but I would suggest most here certainly wouldn't eat both chick peas and wholemeal roll together even if they experimented/rolled the dice with one or t'other. At least you tested and know the rise - well, under the unique combination of factors today anyhow.

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Without you telling us if you know what kind of rise wholemeal flour roll or salad gives you it seems very difficult to know what part the chickpeas played. Maybe not as blunt as @xfieldok but I would suggest most here certainly wouldn't eat both chick peas and wholemeal roll together even if they experimented/rolled the dice with one or t'other. At least you tested and know the rise - well, under the unique combination of factors today anyhow.
Thanks. I am a vegetarian and don't have much options left for my lunch or dinner. I had the impression that chickpeas and beans are good for diabetes. But I think I am wrong. I never expected it will go 10 which worries me quite lot. I take only one metformin in the night. Doctor was advising me to take two, but I try to control it with my diet and life style changes. But possibly I will go with two metformin.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I am a vegetarian and don't have much options left for my lunch or dinner. I had the impression that chickpeas and beans are good for diabetes. But I think I am wrong. I never expected it will go 10 which worries me quite lot. I take only one metformin in the night. Doctor was advising me to take two, but I try to control it with my diet and life style changes. But possibly I will go with two metformin.
Sympathy for the lack of options. At least my options are only circumscribed by personal preference. Not sure 2 or any level of metformin a day will ever impact meals containing chickpeas and wholemeal roll(s) but that's just an opinion. Testing and asking questions is always good. Best wishes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the vegetarian forum for alternative ideas.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you do something with cauliflower rice? Lots of ways of dressing it up.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just try both in isolation and test. I can have chuck peas no issue, but bread will give me a rise. Both together would not be idea for me. I know this because I eat and test, just do some trials but stick to one thing at once before you combine.

I have houmous all the time for example, but I dip veg in it not bread

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
When we first came to this forum, almost seven years ago, I remember reading that chickpeas and lentils were OK, or not too bad in the greater scheme of things. The reason for this is that the carbs they contain are mainly/partly oligosaccharides, which we don't digest easily and they have to go further through the digestive tract to be broken down. This, as is well known, can lead to flatulence!
James loves lentils and chickpeas and has always eaten them in moderation. They don't seem to put up his blood sugar and don't appear to have done him any harm. However, I do remember it being said that it is an individual thing, possibly to do with our personal bacteria and enzymes, some people will deal with them better than others.
The advice therefor remains, Eat to Your Meter, but test one thing at a time, otherwise you don't know if it was the chickpeas or what you ate with it.
Sally
ps This thread, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-on-morning-testing-please.43857/#post-409108 from six years ago touches on the subject at post 20.

Reactions: ianpspurs

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chick Peas / Humus don't give me much of a rise. Bread however will spike me into double figures, I think that only thinking about the bread would cause a rise. So a chick pea sarnie would be a complete no no for me.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chickpeas are a pulse and so shouldn't in theory do much to the levels......the roll will though....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I react to legumes more than the carbs they contain would indicate - but legumes and bread are starchy carbohydrate and it is the ability to deal with carbohydrates which is broken.
I can't offer any really useful advice - I chose to eat the lowest carb diet I can enjoy lots of salads and stir fries, but I can only manage at the most 200 calories from carbs and still keep my blood glucose down in single figures.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Like others I would not try chickpeas and bread together - but I never eat ordinary bread or rolls any more.
I am fine with a small amount of hummus rolled up in lettuce leaves - the sesame seed paste (tahini) is much lower in carbs than chickpeas so hummus is better if you want to lower your carb intake.
Also you could try making 90 second bread, I like the version with some milled flaxseed in it. After cooking just split it and carefully toast the slices.
And some salads can be high carb depending on what you included. I prefer lettuce, spinach and cucumber as a base for salad lunches. No corn or carrots and very little tomato, but use an olive oil dressing.

Other than that, maybe hardboiled eggs and cheese for lunch? I make mini muffins with egg, grated cheese and a little double cream. Great cold with a green salad.

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chickpeas are good for controlling your bgl, however you may want to review your wholemeal Roll

I spike on any bread related Foods like many other diabetics.

However I find that making Chappatis from Whole Wheat doesn't do anything to me so give that a go and see how that works for you. Invest in a skillet.

Ever Since I cut out the bread, the rice, the Pasta, anything along those lines, My bgl have been perfect.

Its just a matter of finding what works for you.

:)