COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the system is already under strain. This article outlines thinking around surgeries making greater use of digital consultations. My own surgery seems to have adopted it - having spent a long time just getting through on the ‘phone this morning, I was informed that they weren’t offering appointments, just phone calls: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ch-to-remote-consultations-to-combat-covid-19
we had video consults last year (just one day a week). It was fantastic and had great reviews from those who used it. But not enough used it and it was cancelled.

lindisfel

Expert
I do wonder what impact smoking has on the course of covid19.

I seem to recollect the Chinese and Italians smoke more than the British do now?
The Southern Europeans got more Vit D due to Sun exposure, but it may not help? It's anybodies guess what their Vit c intake is?

We need to get plenty of rest, have a balanced diet, minimise our exposure and try not to worry. Easily said.
Derek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My throat is a little sore and I have had a little dry cough this morning, voice husky at times and as I am in a very small space with children, a taxi, twice a day, I put it down to that, but, as yet, not panicking at all.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I seem to recollect the Chinese and Italians smoke more than the British do now?
The Southern Europeans got more Vit D due to Sun exposure, but it may not help? It's anybodies guess what their Vit c intake is?

We need to get plenty of rest, have a balanced diet, minimise our exposure and try not to worry. Easily said.
Derek

Iran too ?

Reactions: Debandez
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Derek

It's about being aware, vigilant, listening for updates on the virus and taking sensible steps, but really just getting on with everyday life and hope for the best.
A leisure centre in a town about 17 miles away was closed down after a visitor was tested positive with the corona virus, the centre has been deep cleaned.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting and correct in what you say, @lindisfel @Robinredbreast

and as the original post was asking for the Co-morbidity of Diabetics
and the data sets very much suggest Diabetics and asthmatics along with age are at greater risk.

So what CAN we do

So for Diabetics the issues is the insulin,
better management of symptoms does seem to point at better outlook with diabetes
fewer complications etc.

and for the flu and Covid the compromised airways of asthmatics does seem reasonable
that it is THAT reaction during infections that is a factor in the illness being more harmful

For ME....LCHF has given me better lipids panels since Dx (very poor back in 2010-2018 DX)
so that will continue.
The Vit C (while intravenous ) as pointed out, does seem to offer some extra assistance if taken orally, (thank you @Winnie53 )
so that is on my list.

And for me..and this is purely anecdotal, Ginger has helped my asthma.
(pre DX i was always getting colds, one led onto a scary asthma attack that shook me
I googled and found Ginger offered properties that MAY help asthma and respiratory illnesses.
which it did to my mind..no attacks and no colds.Win.

So i will for the foreseeable future be upping my ginger intake and adding that to more dishes where appropriate
and going back to making a daily pot of fresh ginger tea.

So for me all of the Above and hoping EVERYONE follows the Guidelines re washing hands etc.

be interested in what other might be doing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Two confirmed cases of Corona virus have been found in my town and just now a third person is positive too., so that makes three and they all work for the same company as my school driver's wife !!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two confirmed cases of Corona virus have been found in my town and just now a third person is positive too., so that makes three and they all work for the same company as my school driver's wife !!
Are you able to stay home and stay safe RRB?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My belief is the bottom line is economics will rule and that will be King and I am not dismissing it BUT if we dont want an Italian situation its really vital that the UK be ON IT.

Reactions: jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My belief is the bottom line is economics will rule and that will be King and I am not dismissing it BUT if we dont want an Italian situation its really vital that the UK be ON IT.
Well I don't think enough has been done to avert an Italian situation. They are talking about people with colds being asked to self isolate...in 10 to 14 days time. Yep let it spread some more before we act! And what about people living with someone who has a cold?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you able to stay home and stay safe RRB?

Thanks Zand, I will email the council I work for so they are aware and then take it from there. I also work for another company as a food sampler /promoter, so I will message my manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I don't think enough has been done to avert an Italian situation. They are talking about people with colds being asked to self isolate...in 10 to 14 days time. Yep let it spread some more before we act! And what about people living with someone who has a cold?

The company in question regarding my towns confirmed 3 cases is Italian :wideyed:

lindisfel

Expert

I agree, Zand.
It was said that the gatherings of the religious cult in South Korea were responsible for a major spread of the virus and gatherings of skiers in Italy caused passage to British holiday makers, yet gatherings in the uk are ok?

Someone must have done a calculation of deaths of the vulnerable vrs economic damage to business interests.

They repeated what Liam Fox said, we need to have what should be a manageable peak now, as opposed to having the peak in the autumn when the health service can't manage coronavirus coming back and seasonal flu.

I find the logic a little tenuous and they are not following the lessons from elsewhere?

But who am I to question my betters, I'll just touch my forelock...oh blast...I should not touch my forelock.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This helps maintain some perspective when the chaotic response and health and human repercussions worries me . I’m really not so concerned about the economy right now. It’s world wide and will effect us all equally therefore cancel itself out, like a global devaluation. (I hope)
9CD707DC-8163-4956-BAA4-B0873BFA6B55.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
This helps maintain some perspective when the chaotic response and health and human repercussions worries me . I’m really not so concerned about the economy right now. It’s world wide and will effect us all equally therefore cancel itself out, like a global devaluation. (I hope)
View attachment 39243

Ask yourself the question, why does corona virus affect the oil price and the economy whereas cancer doesn't?

Its because we dont know what's going to happen. If deaths are 3% and sixty million in the country get it, just do the maths.

It looks to be 5% in Italy atm, just do the maths if 10s of millions get it and you'll get your answer why the markets are concerned.
I hope the tide can be turned, perhaps we are like Canute and can't change the outcome.
D.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask yourself the question, why does corona virus affect the oil price and the economy whereas cancer doesn't?

Its because we dont know what's going to happen. If deaths are 3% and sixty million in the country get it, just do the maths.

It looks to be 5% in Italy atm, just do the maths if 10s of millions get it and you'll get your answer why the markets are concerned.
I hope the tide can be turned, perhaps we are like Canute and can't change the outcome.
D.
still doesn’t explain why markets plummet - even if the population does. Or at least not to me but then I know next to nothing of the money markets. I do realise they don’t like uncertainty though which is rife.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
still doesn’t explain why markets plummet - even if the population does. Or at least not to me but then I know next to nothing of the money markets. I do realise they don’t like uncertainty though which is rife.

Who buys OR even make anything if we are all sick or in quarantine ?
must be a concern for most companies and their investors

as you say....It's the unknown that always spooks investors

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 39243
i know you mean it in a nice way..

But i don't catch cancer by some one coughing on me
i can avoid most snakes and mozzies (If i choose) most days
and the suicide.yeah, well the less said there i suppose.
and murder rate in the uk..mmhh..

but for all that i DO take the point made.and i the manner it is made.

Lets hope the many others who choose to see this as "Just flu", do at least take the precautions seriously,
it is ONLY that... that defends us at the moment...we have no other line of defense as yet..

as with quarantine, if we ain't ALL doing it, it makes little difference
just needs a few to ignore it, and we are back to square one