COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We did our usual weekly big shop earlier. No empty shelves that I could see. Just no sanitisers or paracetamols. Plenty of loo rolls, soaps and the usual food stuff. However ..... Shock, horror. NO RED WINE BOXES, and that was the same in the other 2 local supermarkets (Sainsbury and Tesco). We had intended to get an extra one to keep for any future lock down but the stock-pilers seem to have beaten us to it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO RED WINE BOXES
Now it's really getting serious! Actually if you weren't so far away we could do a swap, our local large Sainsbury's has plenty of red wine boxes but no toilet rolls, must be a distribution problem rather than a real shortage. I went to a local Co-Op today and overheard an assistant trying to explain to a very old man that they didn't have any soap, he couldn't take it in and kept saying " I mean just an ordinary bar of soap".

Reactions: Bill_St

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much happening...

The governor of Washington State has closed K-12 schools for 6 weeks in the three counties most affected. After work, I continued our planned preparations for sheltering in place if needed. Bought fever reducing medications, then returned them. Will listen to the Ivor Cummins interview tomorrow - (thanks for the link Indy51).

Got everything I wanted except for alcohol to set up a smart phone cleaning station at work with alcohol, cotton balls, and stainless steel tongs. A co-worker is also looking. Hopefully she found some. I didn't. But at one of the drug stores, did find toilet paper so that's good.

Our family has four households here, so bought sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) in powdered form for each. I want them to have on hand what they need if they become ill. The only nutritional supplement I couldn't find was a zinc/copper formulation that I prefer, but was able to get a different zinc.

I don't use bleach so bought a bottle just in case to surface clean daily where needed.

At the food co-op, mostly stocked up on sources of protein and fat, and of course vegetables and some fruit for this week. Still thinking about it. Trying to be thoughtful. I only want to buy just what we truly need. Don't want to over do it.

No word yet on whether or not our department will stop the practice of sharing food and candy temporarily. Fingers and toes crossed. It's not my decision. I can only make the request.

As I was listening to the nephrologist Suzanne Humphries, MD's lecture again on vitamin C again last night, she said something that really caught my attention. When using vitamin C to treat an illness it's important also to reduce carb and sugar intake "because sugar competes with vitamin C at the cell." at minute 01:09:36...

This lecture has been the most helpful to me in understanding how vitamin C works and how to most effectively use it.

Am still catching up with you all but got an hours worth of reading in this morning. I don't know how I'd get through this without you. You're contributions continue to keep me informed and empowered.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So much happening...

The governor of Washington State has closed K-12 schools for 6 weeks in the three counties most affected. After work, I continued our planned preparations for sheltering in place if needed. Bought fever reducing medications, then returned them. Will listen to the Ivor Cummins interview tomorrow - (thanks for the link Indy51).

Got everything I wanted except for alcohol to set up a smart phone cleaning station at work with alcohol, cotton balls, and stainless steel tongs. A co-worker is also looking. Hopefully she found some. I didn't. But at one of the drug stores, did find toilet paper so that's good.

Our family has four households here, so bought sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) in powdered form for each. I want them to have on hand what they need if they become ill. The only nutritional supplement I couldn't find was a zinc/copper formulation that I prefer, but was able to get a different zinc.

I don't use bleach so bought a bottle just in case to surface clean daily where needed.

At the food co-op, mostly stocked up on sources of protein and fat, and of course vegetables and some fruit for this week. Still thinking about it. Trying to be thoughtful. I only want to buy just what we truly need. Don't want to over do it.

No word yet on whether or not our department will stop the practice of sharing food and candy temporarily. Fingers and toes crossed. It's not my decision. I can only make the request.

As I was listening to the nephrologist Suzanne Humphries, MD's lecture again on vitamin C again last night, she said something that really caught my attention. When using vitamin C to treat an illness it's important also to reduce carb and sugar intake "because sugar competes with vitamin C at the cell." at minute 01:09:36...

This lecture has been the most helpful to me in understanding how vitamin C works and how to most effectively use it.

Am still catching up with you all but got an hours worth of reading in this morning. I don't know how I'd get through this without you. You're contributions continue to keep me informed and empowered.

Oh good one about the carbs n vit C
And the forum itself is and always has been a group effort of looking after each other, to my mind.
We all bring something to the table.
. Stay safe
@Winnie55

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We did our usual weekly big shop earlier. No empty shelves that I could see. Just no sanitisers or paracetamols. Plenty of loo rolls, soaps and the usual food stuff. However ..... Shock, horror. NO RED WINE BOXES, and that was the same in the other 2 local supermarkets (Sainsbury and Tesco). We had intended to get an extra one to keep for any future lock down but the stock-pilers seem to have beaten us to it.

Panic buying of the WORST sort, if you ask me.;)

Missus know what it is like round here, yet in Feltham lots of soaps etc ..
Distribution, mmmhh does make some sense.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is...the only thing I can eat and keep down at the moment is carbs..so the vitamin C I am taking is useless then. :(

Kev68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm struggling to find specific info on associated risks with diabetes. Everything just states that there is increased risk of complications and presumably higher death rate. Does anyone have anything specific they can share?

As the peak is currently predicted for June would it not be "better" to contract the virus now when there isn't as many critical care beds taken up with cover-19 sufferers? I know June will mean less flu etc but surely that will be outweighed by more cover-19 cases.

If 60% of the population needs to contract this in order for herd immunity to be reached that will mean a) more chance of getting it than not and b) huge numbers at the peak.

Thanks for any info, K

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is...the only thing I can eat and keep down at the moment is carbs..so the vitamin C I am taking is useless then. :(

Not at all Zand. If I'm understanding her correctly, you just have to increase your intake of vitamin C to compensate. When I had the flu last fall, on day 4 I just needed something comforting. I made myself a baked potato topped with butter, steamed broccoli, and cheddar cheese. It greatly helped my state of mind, but my glucose levels dramatically shot up. Would I do it again? Yes. Once. Sometimes I just need a little pick me up to push through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez and zand

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kev68, my husband and I are each in three high risk categories. I can't change that. What helps me is to focus on what I can do. Be prepared. And know that we're all feeling as you are.

Keep in mind that most in the high risk categories are recoverying.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HSSS, that's the best government issued guideline I've seen to date. Glad you re-posted the link. Perhaps we should re-post it daily.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With the greatest respect your daughter needs a kick up the ****.
If she wants to infect herself, that's fine. But it's during the (5 - 12?) day incubation period when she is symptomless but able to infect others that the danger lies. It could me by Mum.
Sorry to say I've heard this too often - it is purely reckless and selfish.
I completely agree.

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our US president...I have no words...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/behind-trumps-coronavirus-shift-235000842.html

Monday...

WASHINGTON — As President Donald Trump jetted back to Washington on Monday after a weekend of golfing and fundraising in Florida, an intervention was awaiting him at the White House.

Administration officials, increasingly concerned about the messaging on and response to the coronavirus, had spent the weekend scrambling to craft a strategy to shift the president's response, which had been focused on downplaying the threat and accusing the media of creating undue concern, according to people involved in the effort.

So, as Trump stepped off Marine One and walked straight to the West Wing just after 3 p.m. Monday, his top economic and health officials were waiting to make their case for why a more serious fiscal and public health response was urgently needed. Those at the meeting included economic adviser Larry Kudlow, Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin.

Shortly after the meeting wrapped, Trump appeared ready to start taking a stronger approach — at least compared to the one he had offered that morning, when he likened the coronavirus to the seasonal flu, tweeting of the flu that "nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on."

Thursday...

Meanwhile, one of the nation's top health officials was telling lawmakers on Capitol Hill that the federal response was falling short on a key front, with the nation failing to meet the necessary capacity for coronavirus testing. That didn't keep Trump from heaping praise on his own response Thursday.

"Because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office during a meeting with the Irish prime minister.

"Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many," he said. "But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it."

Reactions: lindisfel

lindisfel

Expert
Our US president...I have no words...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/behind-trumps-coronavirus-shift-235000842.html

Monday...

WASHINGTON — As President Donald Trump jetted back to Washington on Monday after a weekend of golfing and fundraising in Florida, an intervention was awaiting him at the White House.

Administration officials, increasingly concerned about the messaging on and response to the coronavirus, had spent the weekend scrambling to craft a strategy to shift the president's response, which had been focused on downplaying the threat and accusing the media of creating undue concern, according to people involved in the effort.

So, as Trump stepped off Marine One and walked straight to the West Wing just after 3 p.m. Monday, his top economic and health officials were waiting to make their case for why a more serious fiscal and public health response was urgently needed. Those at the meeting included economic adviser Larry Kudlow, Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin.

Shortly after the meeting wrapped, Trump appeared ready to start taking a stronger approach — at least compared to the one he had offered that morning, when he likened the coronavirus to the seasonal flu, tweeting of the flu that "nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on."

Thursday...

Meanwhile, one of the nation's top health officials was telling lawmakers on Capitol Hill that the federal response was falling short on a key front, with the nation failing to meet the necessary capacity for coronavirus testing. That didn't keep Trump from heaping praise on his own response Thursday.

"Because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office during a meeting with the Irish prime minister.

"Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many," he said. "But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it."

It amazing, they are not going to let their elderly die if they can marshall all their vast resources to help.
We are in hands of......I wouldn't like to say what I really think.
I heard what Rory Stewart, who dealt with Ebola, thinks!!
D.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do feel for the US @Winnie53 .

mans is a moron..all the 'best' 'fantastic' 'great'..utter utter pants
he can't seem to discus anything without making it all about HIM..

and his pro---noun----ciation of ...Corono .............................................................virus..

Comic timing...:hilarious:

i love american humour so don't want to feel fooled.

i think i recognise charlie from casualty, and is that the lawyer prosecutor guy from billionaire..??
but this IS Alec Baldwin..Right :bag:

he is VERY good btw.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do feel for the US @Winnie53 .

mans is a moron..all the 'best' 'fantastic' 'great'..utter utter pants
he can't seem to discus anything without making it all about HIM..

and his pro---noun----ciation of ...Corono .............................................................virus..

Comic timing...:hilarious:

i love american humour so don't want to feel fooled.

i think i recognise charlie from casualty, and is that the lawyer prosecutor guy from billionaire..??
but this IS Alec Baldwin..Right :bag:

he is VERY good btw.

Watching the press conference right now. Unbelievable