COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

lindisfel

Expert
I don't understand your reply. What I meant was, if there are 10 deaths, and they have tested 1,000 people, that's a 1% death rate, if they test 10,000 people with the same 10 deaths then that's a 0.1% death rate. So an implication that they are not testing to make the figures better is not logical.

If they dont test, no comparison can be made, they can only make a comparison after an epidemic and compare the deaths per million population between countries.

It's all academic, because the way they are managing it, it will soon get out hand if they dont do more.
I cant see how not testing is going to find the subclinical who need isolating to help the elderly and impaired not get it.

Only by isolating ourselves, without symptoms, before we get it, if we have impaired health, can we gives ourselves better than a dogs chance of survival.
We will need to lock down to survive, like Italy, and they did it rather late.
D.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I would disagree.
It gives a pointer to the progression of the disease and speed of recovery. Eventually, we would hope the number recovered will be many more than the number of deaths. The progression gives a comparison between the tactics of countries as time passes.

No it doesn't. It tells you nothing about the trajectory. It's like testing your blood sugar on any normal meter and coming up with a number that doesn't tell you if your glucose levels are going up or down.

The chart compares countries that are on different points of the curve. No point in comparing the UK with China unless you know that data for China in the 2nd week, which of course we don't because it was (reportedly) suppressed.

The speed of recovery will also vary significantly from person to person, perhaps even region to region depending on the standard of care, so you cannot deduce anything from these numbers.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
France just now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51886497

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has ordered the closure of all non-essential public locations from midnight (23:00 GMT Saturday) in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The measure applies to restaurants, cafes, cinemas and nightclubs, as well as "non-essential" businesses

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
France just now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51886497

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has ordered the closure of all non-essential public locations from midnight (23:00 GMT Saturday) in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The measure applies to restaurants, cafes, cinemas and nightclubs, as well as "non-essential" businesses
What are we missing JJ? What is going on are the old and sickly simply expendable because of some experiment the rest of the world just dont recognise, most importantly our far eastern friends who have the most experience. I dont want Italy’s experience here, lets pray for Europe (thats the one we all hate btw). Sorry, no offence, but very cross.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are we missing JJ? What is going on are the old and sickly simply expendable because of some experiment the rest of the world just dont recognise, most importantly our far eastern friends who have the most experience. I dont want Italy’s experience here, lets pray for Europe (thats the one we all hate btw). Sorry, no offence, but very cross.

personal opinion.

events are moving too fast.

A) the Irish border makes NO sense to have one half shutdown while the other half stays open
I think the North will quarantine as well.
that would make scotland break ranks and boris knows it.

B) the people he wants to still run schools etc, are asking WHY..they will be on the frontline of any infection, most likely.
so they MAY decide en mass NOT to go to work.
sporting bodies have NOT been told to shut yet are doing so
businesses are starting to decide for themselves to protect their customers and staff, more will follow suit.
as the first trench of infections in the workplace cause concern the first death of people we know
will cause panic, from then on the narrative is lost and boris starts to buckle.

i imagine the pressure is already on as this needs a united front to defeat it, and boris has put us out of step.
people looking at other countries to see those citizens seemingly better protected and query WHY and decide not to take the chances Boris wants us too, and this all unravels.

My best guess early next week he talks about taking more action, as numbers mount to horrendous proportions in Europe, he caves and we go into lock down as well.late next week, weekend monday at latest

i'd say if you haven't got enough for the quarantine, get it asap.

Might look stupid by end of week, but just ask yourselves, IF a colleague get diagnosed, will many still want to go in, or take that self isolation sickie, just to be on the safe side..?..14 days where your not at risk, and see how this all pans out.

Multiply that by a given numbers..business will make that call if boris doesn't

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, those dependent on governmental authority before they can get any pay or financial help while self isolating are sitting duck, economic hostages.

So few have the money to make their own decisions.

Sad.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
personal opinion.

events are moving too fast.

A) the Irish border makes NO sense to have one half shutdown while the other half stays open
I think the North will quarantine as well.
that would make scotland break ranks and boris knows it.

B) the people he wants to still run schools etc, are asking WHY..they will be on the frontline of any infection, most likely.
so they MAY decide en mass NOT to go to work.
sporting bodies have NOT been told to shut yet are doing so
businesses are starting to decide for themselves to protect their customers and staff, more will follow suit.
as the first trench of infections in the workplace cause concern the first death of people we know
will cause panic, from then on the narrative is lost and boris starts to buckle.

i imagine the pressure is already on as this needs a united front to defeat it, and boris has put us out of step.
people looking at other countries to see those citizens seemingly better protected and query WHY and decide not to take the chances Boris wants us too, and this all unravels.

My best guess early next week he talks about taking more action, as numbers mount to horrendous proportions in Europe, he caves and we go into lock down as well.late next week, weekend monday at latest

i'd say if you haven't got enough for the quarantine, get it asap.

Might look stupid by end of week, but just ask yourselves, IF a colleague get diagnosed, will many still want to go in, or take that self isolation sickie, just to be on the safe side..?..14 days where your not at risk, and see how this all pans out.

Multiply that by a given numbers..business will make that call if boris doesn't

Ps. How many can live on £94 a week, or nothing if they are self employed.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lucylocket61 ..i agree, it is not ideal..but events may force this on us.

will happen who knows, my guess is out there now.

pray i'm wrong..i do.

but for those who took no heed earlier,
now is not the time to ignore this virus and hope it goes away.
do what you can, and do it soon.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the senior Australian federal gov cabinet members has been confirmed with CV 19, two others are being tested for it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-13/peter-dutton-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/12055104

Just thinking out loud here, what plan a is in place for all of those refugees on the Greek / Turkey border if the manage to get past the barbed wire and a CV 19 outbreak starts amongst them.

if i'm brutally honest i doubt little provision has been made or will be made.
( many camps in turkey greece, and inside syria, and other states )
the borders WILL be shut, one by one..god only knows how far the defence of it, will go during this.
will the turks take them back..who can say.

won't be any protests on the streets to stop it, if we are all in lockdown.
i suppose there are turkish military etc at the border, (they arranging transport to the border)
troops eyeballing each other with an intent to defend the homeland come what may...
this could all unravel very quickly into a real mess.

if countires have to resort to this to treat their own, where will any refugees go..?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world...alian-patients-treated-in-tents-and-warehouse

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
best post regarding the reasoning behind the decision NOT to quarantine as has Europe.

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538?s=20

doesn't make pretty reading but it does make sense of what is being done, even if i don't agree

a thought comes to me, that IF the modelling is right, why would italy, spain, france, Germany have such huge numbers,
be locking down much of the country, and be struggling so much with the number of cases. ?

i mean THIS is where we PLAN to be in a few weeks time..(optimitstic i think )
and at that time we (according to that theory link above ) will not be struggling so much as we 'll have many getting sick who don't need treatment..well that is the plan as i see it, let many get sick and build that herd immunity.

pretty sure the EU states wouldn't be treating people if they didn't need to ?
can we really balance this and still cope..

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am still busy listening to interviews and lectures, reading articles, and writing. Here's what I have to share for now...

Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route
— Also new: Like SARS, COVID-19 may induce liver damage

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85315https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85315

I learned about this from vaccine researcher Peter Hotez, MD, PhD this morning by listening to the newest Peter Attia podcast, The Drive - (linked below).

In China, some COVID-19 positive patients weren't tested initially because they presented with "diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and/or abdominal discomfort before the onset of respiratory symptoms" resulting in hospital workers getting ill. So when away from home, I am choosing to avoid buffets, hot bars, salad bars, potlucks, as well as eating food that others brought to share at the office, at meetings, or at other gatherings, or eating from candy bowls at the office. So long as everyone is washing their hands immediately before handling food that is being shared or digging into the candy bowl, we’re okay. But if people become more lax in this important habit, that’s when we start getting into trouble. Dr. Hotez referred to it as "fecal-oral transmission", a common problem on cruise ships. That said, whether or not my concern is valid is not known yet when it comes to COVID-19. [sigh]

#97 - Peter Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.: COVID-19: transmissibility, vaccines, risk reduction, and treatment

Dr. Peter Hotez M.D., Ph.D., Dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine Baylor College of Medicine, shares his expertise on viral disease and how it applies specifically to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it (SARS-CoV-2). Dr. Hotez informs us about the current state of disease progression, which has many unknowns, but has thus far been greatly determined by the delayed response time and lack of testing. Moreover, we discuss what we can do on a country, state, community, and individual level in order to collectively slow transmission of the disease. He shares with us a potential hope in convalescent plasma therapy and underscores the need for US federal involvement – particularly in the creation of a specialty task force to address areas of concern and unknowns.
Disclaimer: This is information accurate as of March 13, 2020, when it was recorded.

If that link doesn’t work, go to PeterAttiaMD.com and try to find it. Scroll down to “Content” and click on “Podcast”. On that page you can subscribe or click on “Want to view all past podcasts on a single page? View our podcast archive.” And I think it will give you access. Don’t know because I’m a subscriber.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read that article by Robert Preston.

Ermmm….where is this army of volouteers coming from?

What if friends and family are self isolating?

I can’t see how this works for many old people.

What about the vulnerable and disabled and carers?

And why the wait for so long?

So many assumptions with this plan.

lindisfel

Expert
Don't know whether you've just heard but two hundred scientists, who believe the Governments approach is flawed, have written to Boris saying that he needs to change the strategy or there will be a massive peak and many will die.

They are denying now that achieving herd immunity is a strategy they are trying to achieve, it apparently is just a feature of their procedure.

I think they are making it up and now they know they are on quicksand.
D.