Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was stood outside our local coop today I won't go in the wife did I drove her up in the car when two ladies mother and daughter drove up in their range rover parked grabbed 2 trolleys and dashed into the shop they came out two minutes later with empty trolleys saying there's nothing in there not even fruit and veg,in loud disgusted voices i said yes it's crazy isn't it must be all these panic buyers they got in their car and drove off at high speed presumably to another store.

Edit to add
I had a delivery from Asda's last week and have managed to book one for Saturday hopefully will get my order apart from that I'm taking each day as it comes freezer is pretty full anyway.

Reactions: type two paul

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not even trying to eat properly.
I'm disgusted with myself.
I bought a little pre-diagnosis comfort food as well as "good" food but I'm eating up all the comfort food first.
t1870.gif

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to defrost the freezer so let it get rather empty, it took two shopping trips to restock it and the two fridges but that was before all the excitement started. I was surprised that it took so long for the situation to dawn on people.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was the first time I had trouble, with daughter unexpectedly back from Uni in Spain, food is disappearing fast! I needed to get eggs, Tesco had none but found a tray of twenty four in the local corner shop, they had loads!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was the first time I had trouble, with daughter unexpectedly back from Uni in Spain, food is disappearing fast! I needed to get eggs, Tesco had none but found a tray of twenty four in the local corner shop, they had loads!

I haven’t been able to get eggs for a week, so yesterday I went onto Amazon and bought some freeze dried powdered organic freerange eggs. Mix with water and scramble or omelette as usual, apparently. Delivery tomorrow, I hope.

will be a whole new adventure, but its a darn sight easier than trying to find the eggs in the shops at the moment.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t been able to get eggs for a week, so yesterday I went onto Amazon and bought some freeze dried powdered organic freerange eggs. Mix with water and scramble or omelette as usual, apparently. Delivery tomorrow, I hope.

will be a whole new adventure, but its a darn sight easier than trying to find the eggs in the shops at the moment.
Tricky to make fried eggs though! ;):joyful:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh gosh this is starting to sound like World War 2 ...
I hope someone develops a vaccine soon or we will all start needing rationing books. ...

Saskia - I read with interest someone reporting from overseas on here, stating that where they lived they had gone through this silly, panic-buying, hoarding stage, but people end up running out of cash to buy, unable to store what they've bought, and so on, and end up just backfilling, buying to replace what they have used since they last shopped.

We're not stockpiling here, although we have ensured our freezers are well stocked, but only with what we eat anyway.

Our butcher has started doing home deliveries, once a week for their customers, over-65. Bravo, I say!

Whilst it will be a while before we are in "normal", or even "new normal" again, it will come. We've all just got to ensure we stay as healthy as we can and be kind to ourselves and each other whilst we get there.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well there is one thing even the panic buyers are finding empty stores now.

Did see this on twitter

"Replying to @frankbrunoboxer

Woman in @AldiUK yesterday with 80, yes 80 tins of tomatoes! Watched with anticipation as she edged along to the checkout. Cashier called Manager who took 76 tins back to the shelves. Anger eruption right there! Pure greed - no need - but nice to see @AldiUK act responsibly "

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Nope.

have retreated, after a pretty decent week, into a sugary diet again.

Have to eat something and if its carbs then its better carbs than nothing.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well there is one thing even the panic buyers are finding empty stores now.

Did see this on twitter

"Replying to @frankbrunoboxer

Woman in @AldiUK yesterday with 80, yes 80 tins of tomatoes! Watched with anticipation as she edged along to the checkout. Cashier called Manager who took 76 tins back to the shelves. Anger eruption right there! Pure greed - no need - but nice to see @AldiUK act responsibly "

Totally agree, that is just selfish.... there are limits here in Australia on what you can buy, which applies to all the stuff that people are panic buying, which is helping to limit the amount of empty shelves, but I was not able to get a single roll of toilet paper today.

Good to see management step in, it happens here too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Local coop are supposedly limiting quantities you can buy of certain items but staff not enforcing it probably out of fear of taking the brunt of some greedy swines anger.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Young lad in the area T1 needs to inject can't get alcohol wipes told to use soap and water.:banghead:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I can honestly say that in 19 years of injecting I never once used an alcohol wipe before doing so...

49 years for me....the first 5 years my dad managed to "obtain" alcohol wipes and they were used BUT for 44 years I have never used them either

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco are also apparently limiting quantities - at least for some online purchases - to two of an item. Morrisons, when I was online shopping last night were limiting to 2 on some special offers. Some things I'd already ordered which were reported as out of stock last night seem to be back again today, so hopefully I'm getting everything. However they've done an unexpected (but probably not unreasonable) early cut off for changes to orders, as I discovered when I just went to cancel my pack of little tomatoes as I've I've still got more than I can eat, so I'll end up with a surplus! But I'm not stockpiling them - honest!! :oops:

I have to do all my food shopping online and don't have much space to keep very much as I share fridge freezer with a carb eating husband. Last week I got everything I needed from Ocado, except for my months supply of dog food, which was supposed to come from their Fetch pet store with my delivery - however for some unspecified reason they'd decided to cancel...:banghead:

Our small local shop is generally OK for things like eggs, fruit & veggies, cooked meat, cheese, but tend to favour low fat dairy in general. and there is very little suitable main meal wise in their freezer. So I've decided last night that I'm treating myself to a mini table top freezer so that I can have a few emergency backup rations to hand. I feel justified and a bit less vulnerable food wise now since I'm both T2 and a well past my sell by date OAP.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I can honestly say that in 19 years of injecting I never once used an alcohol wipe before doing so...
Maybe so and OK for you and many others but this lad has always used them and feels unsafe not using them but can't get them not even from his pharmacy that is what annoys me.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get a bottle of alcohol on script to put on a cloth and wipe, big dark brown old chemists type bottle but they discontinued that, don't remember too much about it tbh, just it being n THE cupboard at my parents house so 35 years back.