Diabetic nurse opinion on corona risk

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of posts on this thread have been edited or deleted when a disagreement escalated to rudeness/belittling or personal attack. We are all entitled to our own opinion, but insulting others because they hold a different view is most definitely against the forum rules.

If there are further instances of this which require the mod team to step in again, there may be further sanctions including thread bansapplied to those involved.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being able to eat pavlova any more
Went and had my hbac1 this morning , a bit un nerving as I was greeted with my nurse in mask and gown!!
Anyway.....
Asked about government advice on self isolating etc, she said I didn’t have diabetic numbers and providing nothing stupid happens on this hbac1 I wasn’t classed as a diabetic exactly and the rules wouldn’t apply to me as I have no other conditions.
Never planned on self isolating anyway as I need money to live!
Thoughts on this?

I work in a small independent Museum. We have closed to protect our volunteers and visitors. Our whole cultural sector has closed down. This means that I might lose my job, my house, my work place. I don't know if you can appreciate how stressful this is. We have done this altruisticalky but we are now faced with bankruptcy as we can't generate income from ticket sales and our shop and cafe are now closed. The longer the restrictions on social gatherings the more staff will lose their jobs. So please social distance. Please self-isolate. Please lets get this over quickly. Because as the retail and hospitality and cultural.sectors shut down people's lives are being shattered. Never mind getting the virus, the economic impact is going to be devastating for many, many people. Our consolatiion will be that we can all go and stack shelves for panic buyers! .

I understand people need to work, but don't not social distance, because you can spread the virus without symptoms .And it spreads quickly.

Reactions: porl69

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a small independent Museum. We have closed to protect our volunteers and visitors. Our whole cultural sector has closed down. This means that I might lose my job, my house, my work place. I don't know if you can appreciate how stressful this is. We have done this altruisticalky but we are now faced with bankruptcy as we can't generate income from ticket sales and our shop and cafe are now closed. The longer the restrictions on social gatherings the more staff will lose their jobs. So please social distance. Please self-isolate. Please lets get this over quickly. Because as the retail and hospitality and cultural.sectors shut down people's lives are being shattered. Never mind getting the virus, the economic impact is going to be devastating for many, many people. Our consolatiion will be that we can all go and stack shelves for panic buyers! .

I understand people need to work, but don't not social distance, because you can spread the virus without symptoms .And it spreads quickly.

Hi Bec, thanks for your post, it's a timely reminder that this is not 'just' about postponing a social life for a few months, it's about people's livelihoods. I do hope you manage to get through this from that perspective. x

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you have no idea if T1 or T2 and how well controlled they were..

I think you are overly worrying yourself ..

How many 70+ year old Italians are diabetic anyway (and mostly they'd be T2 ..... all that pasta!) ?

Goes to show how healthy the Mediterranean diet actually is, unless northern Italy have a different diet. The number of Italians with corona virus is only half of the Chinese and yet, the numbers of those who have died is nearly the same as China. Give to show how many people have underlying conditions.
Unless someone has complications of other conditions putting them at risk. Remember this attacks the respiratory system, the lungs, fatigue, breathlessness and continued cough and high temp are the main symptoms. Asthma, copd, emphysema and so on those on or have immune suppressants, some medication will suppress the bodies system.
However being diabetic, with good control without complications, should be fine.
Yes levels can go array.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goes to show how healthy the Mediterranean diet actually is, unless northern Italy have a different diet. The number of Italians with corona virus is only half of the Chinese and yet, the numbers of those who have died is nearly the same as China. Give to show how many people have underlying conditions.
Unless someone has complications of other conditions putting them at risk. Remember this attacks the respiratory system, the lungs, fatigue, breathlessness and continued cough and high temp are the main symptoms. Asthma, copd, emphysema and so on those on or have immune suppressants, some medication will suppress the bodies system.
However being diabetic, with good control without complications, should be fine.
Yes levels can go array.
Exactly what the “Mediterranean “ diet is varies enormously depending on who you listen to. Fish olive oil and vegetables v pasta and pizza???

Italy are known to be recording cause of deaths differently and it also depends enormously on testing regimes what the % are.

M

Member496333

The 35% number being bandied around is a misrepresentation of reality. It is not true that 35% of diabetics died. Only that among those that did die, 35% were diabetic. This number is meaningless on its own. For one thing it means that 65% of those who died did not have diabetes. Therefore those without diabetes are significantly more likely to die from COVID-19? I'll have ten sugars in my coffee, then. Thanks :shifty:

Statistics are meaningless without context and rational analysis :pompous:

Reactions: ByeBye

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 35% number being bandied around is a misrepresentation of reality. It is not true that 35% of diabetics died. Only that among those that did die, 35% were diabetic. This number is meaningless on its own. For one thing it means that 65% of those who died did not have diabetes. Therefore those without debates are significantly more likely to die from COVID-19? I'll have ten sugars in my coffee, then. Thanks :shifty:

Statistics are meaningless without context and rational analysis :pompous:
Exactly. You can not switch the statement around as is being done.
All red cars have steering wheels. All cars with steering wheels are NOT red.
A ridiculous statement to try and emphasis the point.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Further posts have been deleted for bickering.

Any new instances of bickering or rudeness on this thread will also result in post deletions and sanctions, including thread bans, will be imposed.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst 35% on the face of it, appears high I wonder whether any of the octogenarians in China/Italy who sadly died, ate NO rice or noodles/pasta.

We need significant time to get the stats and interpret them, probably years. Trust me, there won't be a category for T2 low carb. This thing is too new, information is changing hourly. I for one, take no notice of the red tops or click bait headlines.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had the opposite from my GP yesterday during a telephone consultation for something else. He was very specific that, as a diabetic, I must self isolate for 12 weeks.
I cannot self isolate my mum needs me to go and care for her she is 87 and in a wheelchair .

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Just realised this is in the type 2 part of the forum, so maybe my opinion is not really relevant here???
It is relevant everywhere and anywhere if you care
Po

Legfan

Tom Hanks is 63 and a type 2,he has caronavirus and is out of hospital and on the mend. It is not a death sentence and i bet most of the diabetes deaths were in line with the other factors, 70+, other health complications etc.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is an additional complication, and possible contributer to slower recovery or death.

It's a risk factor, that is all

Honeyend

Most of the people who are admitted into intensive care are over 70 and men, the chances are some will have some sort of diabetes even if its not formally diagnosed, this is without CV-19 and alot of these patients die. ITU have very few patients under the age of sixty, a young person who has been involved in a RTA is not the norm. I am not a statistician but I think you need to know how many of the total population of that area have diabetes, what sort and how well it is controlled and what age groups they fall in to, to draw any conclusions.
I am more interested why young people who are normally class as in good health are dying, do they have undetected conditions or something that links them? The spread in the UK is interesting, you would expect around airports, transit hubs, but some areas have far less cases, even though they have an airport and historically imigrant population.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14
Most of those tested positive will have been a contact with someone known to have CV, been in a high risk area or had symptoms. There have been around 65,000 tests completed, but they just tell you that you haven't got it that day, which is useful for tracing and if you are in isolation. An antibody test perhaps would show we has had it, and recovered which are not being picked up, what is the commonality between them.
I have no idea how the Italian health system works, in a America if you can pay they will keep you on a ventilator indefinately, the whole baby P case shed a light on how an American consultant would agree to treat without even seeing the patient, or assesing if the treatment would be effective.
It will be interesting when all this is over to over lay the 'normal' death rate over this years. Norovirus is down and so is rotavirus is down this year, perhaps due to the extra hand washing, norovirus is a bug to most of us but can kill.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...wales/2018to2019provisionaland2017to2018final
Some of the stats are scary, especially for the middle aged.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I'm 64 type 2, levels are well with the range and I'm active and still working, and at the moment have no symptoms of this disease. my problem is do I follow the government guidelines and stay off work for 12 weeks or wait to see if I actually come into contact with a carrier. My head says one thing but my heart another. I'm obviously a bit concerned but not overly worried. Just wondering what other like people are thinking

jane1950

If your HbA1c levels, would my doctor say I have to isolate for 12 weeks at home, or would it just be social distancing, with being home as much as possible

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had the opposite from my GP yesterday during a telephone consultation for something else. He was very specific that, as a diabetic, I must self isolate for 12 weeks.
I'm 64, type 2 on insulin, bloods well within the required range, quite fit and still working. I've been told that I shouldn't go into 12 week isolation unless I feel I have covid- 19, no one in my family has it and we have 3 generations in the household, I'm confused and concerned but not overly worried. But deep inside I'm thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and isolate.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If your HbA1c levels, would my doctor say I have to isolate for 12 weeks at home, or would it just be social distancing, with being home as much as possible
It's confusing Jane, but I think that sooner or later the decision will be taken out of our hands, I can see a total lockdown coming

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm 64, type 2 on insulin, bloods well within the required range, quite fit and still working. I've been told that I shouldn't go into 12 week isolation unless I feel I have covid- 19, no one in my family has it and we have 3 generations in the household, I'm confused and concerned but not overly worried. But deep inside I'm thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and isolate.

I'm the same age as you, also with Type 2 (but no longer on insulin). I just think its better to be safe than sorry.