What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those who administer the soup kitchen charity think this is a great idea and great use of their resources as some of those people they can no longer cater for will hopefully be identified amongst those who are vulnerable. The charity has offered all the stocks of food in the warehouse to start them off.
While lots of things seem to go wrong at the moment, quite a few other things go very much right because of people doing some creative thinking to help eachother :)
Thank you for your compliments re art work and posting your animal experiences. How sad you lost your mother to the wilder elements of our world but hope my work touched you with a positive and lovely memory of your mom.
Yes it did! Thanks for that :)
I paint for pleasure and hopefully to share my imagination with others, so never sell my work but give it away to who ever enjoys it.
That's wonderful!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all from the quietness of the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of strange days and staying at home came in at a fair to middling 4.3 this am.

Stayed at home yesterday and will be doing so now unless I need to forage for wine and other essentials.
The garden is looking spruce after supervising Mrs Miggins from the safety of the summer house.
I have now set up a gym in the conservatory; road bike on a back wheel conversion kit, resistance bands, kettle bells, weights and exercise mat - probably will only visit it once.
Hope everyone is well and not going insane just yet. I had my insanity melt down quite a long time ago and do my mind altering mantra, curtesy of a wonderful CBT psych, as and when - you have to escape into the realms of reality some times - Make it so Spock.

Here is my favorite version of “From A Distance”, words included for @gennepher
Have a great day if you can, don’t forget to wear your hoola hoop if you venure outdoors.

Koffy calls

Love that song - hadn't heard that version, thank you.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to post fbg earlier, I think. I think it was 6.9. I can remember my temperature, that was 35.9 C at the same time.

I used to grow my own veg and stuff when J was alive. It was all in pots, curly kale, tomatoes, cornsalad, lemon balm and other herbs, applemint, loads more, but I stopped when he died in 2009. Also the snails and slugs had a field day.

However I did go over a bit more to truly wild stuff as garlic, sorrel, elder trees and you can eat the blossom from the elder tree and that was nice when it was sun kissed (which snails and slugs did not like), oh and I encourage dandelions for the salad leaves, and more stuff that I cannot remember the names of now. I have Sweet Cicely growing, it is already flowering. Everything in my garden is either good for butterflies and bees, or some part is edible. The sea kale is still growing, but that is very tough, though the fresh shoots could be nibbled.

I need to get my survival books out again. J even bought me an SAS survival book...I was more interested in wild herb garden books.

J made me promise to keep all my books, and information books (he was 20 years older than me and didn't approve of technoloy) so I could survive in case the world had a disaster...

I think it might be time to root out my books ...my memory is coming back to which plant is for what ..oh and the stinging nettles are all growing again ...nettle soup!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Things to do when you are stuck indoors and a bit bored - see how long it takes to wear out your flooring with a bit of a jog. Going to have a go at 5 miles each day and see what happens.

upload_2020-3-23_13-57-7.jpeg

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to hear that some common sense is prevailing. How are the minxes?
They are a great company to work with so relieved I emailed them this morning...hmm what can I say about the minxes they are tormenting Harry like mad...did I say Harry had eaten half the connecting gate to gain access well he has...the gap is blocked but Charlie & Lola stand our side & peer in at him poor Harry...they spend lots of time out in the garden they love it...eat like mad both so big & of course their absolute favourite sleeping...both doing great so far.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Things to do when you are stuck indoors and a bit bored - see how long it takes to wear out your flooring with a bit of a jog. Going to have a go at 5 miles each day and see what happens.

View attachment 39643
Wasn't there a Frenchman a couple of days ago who ran a marathon on his balcony?

oh and the stinging nettles are all growing again ...nettle soup!
Ever tried nettle pesto? It's very good!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perceived risk.. Very subjective.
2020.. Risk calculator.

Diving a car .. Pretty ok, but risky.:)
Diving a motorcycle.. For some to risky:D
Get on and airplane.. Risky but many do it :happy:
Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane..
Don't EVEN go there..:banghead:

But Standing less then 2 metres from another human being.....:wideyed::woot::mask::***:

Perception, is surely about choice ?

As In @Muddy Cyclist choosing to self isolate for the greater good for example.
But with the govt's inability to handle the food situation across the country effectively, now forced as @PenguinMum , @gennepher , @HarryBeau and many others here and across the land are
To taking notice if the elevated risk and
Conducting themselvesd differently
due to THAT perceived risk.

One that almost every single recognised authority across the world had recognised as life threatening, with tens of thousands either dead or expected in the coming months.
I doubt there is much debate about the perception of the risk..it is perfectly clear that covid IS A CLear & Present Danger.

If others are happy to think this isn't so, maybe a part of the 'Media hype" far too many look to in many discussions.

I'd suggest a simple search on line for the common concensus from doctors world wide in affected ICU wards, and see why they aren't as ambivalent towards this disease, like they are almost every other one that they face, year on year.

I live in London.
Have lived through most of the bombing campaigns, all of the recent extremist attacks.
Bad things happen.
But me, my mistress, my daughter and all our fellow Londoners, got back on the buses and trains, to stick two fingers up at those who dared attack us.

We also have all the evils of society, the robberies, the stabbings, the murders
But we don't and didn't shut up shop.

Sure we may have taken small actions , that different route, maybe a bus not the train for a while.

All those things people do every where, just so they can have that modicum of belief that right HERE, this few feet of space, is as safe as I CAN make it be right now.

Anyone want to point out where is safe in London right now?...work, parks, buses, trains, hospitals... According to the govt all unsafe, take the necessary action..this is a public emergency.

They aren't warning about trips over kerbstone, not are they mentioning burglaries, and as far as I know none of them are warning about the invasion of Norman's, Gauls or Anglo saxons

The issue here and now IS covid..it's the only game in town.

And if a few aren't taking this seriously, I do fear, they aren't part of the solution, they are part of the problem, regardless of who they are.
Whether in govt or on here.

Discuss among yourselves as much as you wish..I'm going to be busy making sure me & mine are as safe as possible regardless of the drivel.

My tip would be begin doing the same.
This is coming.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unlike many families our kids and grandchildren have never needed to communicate with us through video technology as we met for family meals and outings so regularly. Now we are keeping in touch in such a way I am amused by my grandaughters when they are holding the device, I am seeing more of the inside of their nostrils than ever before. :)

Nearly saw coffee spewing out of mine!
Thank you for the good laugh.
s0210.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Lovely sunny dawn breaking down here on the coast.

Another tricky day yesterday. Had forgotten to take meds. WITH food, two previous days, tried catch-up, so inevitable trouble in the bathroom dept. No pictures available. Hope I can settle body/and mind today.

7.5 mmo/lt at 0545. Temp. 36.1 C.

Always look on the bright side of life.

I hope you can too. Thanks for not posting pics! :D

Since you are on the coast, can we please talk about neaps, spring, and running seas? I'm reading "Have His Carcase" and Google is having trouble keeping up.
t57105.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear!

However it reminded me of our Guinea-pig named Tom Brown Mrs MC had for her class 45 years ago. It came home one school holiday and was put in a cage with an open run on the floor in our kitchen. At the time we also had a cat and an English Setter, sensitive readers don't panic this is not a horror story :joyful:.

Tom Brown was a character we used to leave the cage open and each morning he would rush across the kitchen floor squeaking to greet us. He would often leave his cage and bask in the sun by the glass door, he was House trained always returning to his run for the necessary. Our English Setter would lie with him in the sunshine and on cold days Tom Brown would lie on the Setter. If we called him he would come running some times his legs skidding on the linoleum floor whilst trying to get going. Cat was always stalking him but our Setter would see him off and this continued until he had lived out his life and passed away naturally, such an amazing little creature.

Oh, he became such a part of the home he never went back to the classroom.

I enjoyed your story about Tom Brown. What a perfect name for a school guinea pig. :)
I am picturing him basking on the English Setter, and being saved from the cat. Thank you for posting about them.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So much for the great Gov idea of keeping 70 year olds at home. Mrs MC and I have just tried to shop on line at all of our local supermarkets NON can offer any Pick up or Delivery slots to select from :banghead:

So I have to go shopping or subject my kids to the risk. No alternative.

Edit just for info we are not desperate YET! But it does not bode well in my opinion.

Looks as if Boris will have to get supermarkets to put their older, more vulnerable customers first in deliveries as well as special shopping hours.
I wonder they haven't already implemented this. (I haven't heard anything about it here either.) :(

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to @annabell1 for providing the link to this. Outdoor exercise and ideal food may be challenging.

Thank you for posting the video. :)
It worries me, though. Many older people living in senior/elder housing do not have cooking facilities. Some people in my building, although we all have kitchens, have their stoves turned off for their own and their neighbors' safety. I still have my stove working, thank goodness!
I have stopped buying fresh foods for the duration, because I think that canned and frozen foods may have been packaged before this pandemic hit, while the produce section of my grocery store is full of people who handle, breathe on, and for all I know sneeze and cough on the fruits and vegetables.
Same with fresh meat -- someone has to be hands-on to prepare and package it.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perceived risk.. Very subjective.
2020.. Risk calculator.

Diving a car .. Pretty ok, but risky.:)
Diving a motorcycle.. For some to risky:D
Get on and airplane.. Risky but many do it :happy:
Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane..
Don't EVEN go there..:banghead:

But Standing less then 2 metres from another human being.....:wideyed::woot::mask::***:

Perception, is surely about choice ?

As In @Muddy Cyclist choosing to self isolate for the greater good for example.
But with the govt's inability to handle the food situation across the country effectively, now forced as @PenguinMum , @gennepher , @HarryBeau and many others here and across the land are
To taking notice if the elevated risk and
Conducting themselvesd differently
due to THAT perceived risk.

One that almost every single recognised authority across the world had recognised as life threatening, with tens of thousands either dead or expected in the coming months.
I doubt there is much debate about the perception of the risk..it is perfectly clear that covid IS A CLear & Present Danger.

If others are happy to think this isn't so, maybe a part of the 'Media hype" far too many look to in many discussions.

I'd suggest a simple search on line for the common concensus from doctors world wide in affected ICU wards, and see why they aren't as ambivalent towards this disease, like they are almost every other one that they face, year on year.

I live in London.
Have lived through most of the bombing campaigns, all of the recent extremist attacks.
Bad things happen.
But me, my mistress, my daughter and all our fellow Londoners, got back on the buses and trains, to stick two fingers up at those who dared attack us.

We also have all the evils of society, the robberies, the stabbings, the murders
But we don't and didn't shut up shop.

Sure we may have taken small actions , that different route, maybe a bus not the train for a while.

All those things people do every where, just so they can have that modicum of belief that right HERE, this few feet of space, is as safe as I CAN make it be right now.

Anyone want to point out where is safe in London right now?...work, parks, buses, trains, hospitals... According to the govt all unsafe, take the necessary action..this is a public emergency.

They aren't warning about trips over kerbstone, not are they mentioning burglaries, and as far as I know none of them are warning about the invasion of Norman's, Gauls or Anglo saxons

The issue here and now IS covid..it's the only game in town.

And if a few aren't taking this seriously, I do fear, they aren't part of the solution, they are part of the problem, regardless of who they are.
Whether in govt or on here.

Discuss among yourselves as much as you wish..I'm going to be busy making sure me & mine are as safe as possible regardless of the drivel.

My tip would be begin doing the same.
This is coming.

Hi, just want to say I am in agreement with you all the way, but you know that. By the same token, I need to say that for me I cannot give way to panic, and if I may I'd like to explain why only because someone else may have the same sort of thing going on.

Below is a photo of one of my old pilots' logbooks, I blanked out my surname to protect the guilty and put a red box around the bit that's relevant here. The reason for the photo is to prove I'm not just waffling ;)

So, on that day I had taken a friend for a flight in my Cessna, we'd run from Derby to Caernarvon and then down to Haverfordwest via the RAF low fly zone in the valleys. I'd done the run every weekend whilst the RAF boys were in the pub and loved it. We left H'west and climbed to 10,000ft to run over the beacons and down to Swansea for lunch, but 15 miles out of Swansea the engine failed and as we only had one it was going to get tricky.

My friend wasn't taking it well and at that moment, that literal instance, I knew that if I panicked we would die on some hillside in Wales. There was no 'if' there was only 'we will' and thru' sheer force of will I held it together and did the numbers, I knew a 3 deg descent would give me a glide in of 500ft and that I should be able to glide into Swansea. As you can see from the logbook we landed safely, had the magneto replaced (the plane was older than me :bag:) and flew back to Derby after having our lunch. My friend said later "I really thought we were going to die until I saw how calm you were. You freaked me out".

So there's my story of actually being in a life or death situation and not panicking. Just to balance the books here's why I can't afford to panic.

Remember the B'ham bombings? I do because I was on one of the teams that treated those kids. I was their age and used to drink in those same pubs. I'll keep it short, what I saw, the choices that were made in triage, left me with PTSD and I quit medicine later on because of the nightmares. I know I did my job correctly, I also know I was panicking and that panic drove those events so deep I can recall every second right now, it will never leave me.

In these times, you are right my friend, we need to do everything we can, put everything in place to protect ourselves and those we love. It would be criminal not to.

It is also important to grasp the reality that some things are beyond us. Whether it was the ground rushing towards me, the senior doctors marking those we could not save, or knowing that there are people who will ignore the facts of this pandemic.

I have no family as such, you, all of you here, are surrogates in that sense and I don't want to see anyone in pain through something they can't control.

IMG_1208.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@OldButBold that is some account, brave to share, braver still to live through. Me and Mr PM do not have to worry about parents, our two sons are in their 20s and hopefully when they get CV it will be manageable and they will move on. If one of us gets it bad and doesnt come through that will be very sad, mainly for the other, but not tragic because the young must always be the ones to survive. Fact, what I believe, bottom line. BUT I have moments when I am really scared and that will go on as will I as long as I can. Seize the day, Mine’s a gin and no point in leaving that Taliskar behind! ;)

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wasn't there a Frenchman a couple of days ago who ran a marathon on his balcony?

Ever tried nettle pesto? It's very good!
No I haven't. But I have enough nettles for a whole pile of stuff, I just won't be using them in place of toilet paper....

Reactions: HarryBeau