Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read about pleas for scientists for rationing.

In principle I agree with this rather than they way shops are doing it now. 2 tins per shopper is very different for a slight pensioner v a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. My mum (live alone) would have 2-4 meals from that. It would feed 2 of my kids leaving one starving along with me and his father. Only answer right now is repeated visits repeating exposure.

However the plea is for it to be based on eatwell:arghh:
I definitely agree with you and made this same point about the actual number of mouths to be fed when we were discussing limits. Supermarket managers and programmers need to learn to apply just a little common sense to such restrictions, though I'm not sure how they would check family sizes for online orders, but ration books would/should at least be per person...

Husband mentioned some restriction to two of certain items on his carby order from Tesco last week , and I was limited when editing my LCHF order last night to a rather more generous 7 actual meat items and I think that fish was counted separately, but I was number 8000 and something :eek: in the online queue to access Ocado earlier on so have no way of checking this at the moment...

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morrisons had the wholemeal bread I eat so I was pleased to grab a loaf but did look the odd one out in the queue as I had 3 things in my basket.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read about pleas for scientists for rationing.

In principle I agree with this rather than they way shops are doing it now. 2 tins per shopper is very different for a slight pensioner v a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. My mum (live alone) would have 2-4 meals from that. It would feed 2 of my kids leaving one starving along with me and his father. Only answer right now is repeated visits repeating exposure.

However the plea is for it to be based on eatwell:arghh:
https://apple.news/AA9-v49GeQrmbPQg2J6HV1A
https://apple.news/AA9-v49GeQrmbPQg2J6HV1A

Interesting that they’re worried about supplies of fresh fruit and veg. In the supermarkets I visited at the weekend, those were the best stocked aisles. Pretty hard to stockpile.

joffy01582

Sainsbury's doesnt recognise diabetes as being in a disabilty/vulnerable group ......their idea of someone with a disability is someone who is wheelchair bound ......i try to best food for myself but after the hoardes have emptied the racks it leaves little else

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After having a real tantrum with Ocado over them claiming two future orders were already dispatched :mad::mad::mad:, I finally got this sorted yesterday, and also managed, in spite of having serious issues accessing their site at lunch time, to finish editing what is now today's delivery. And out of what was a quite a large order for me, I'm relieved to see that I just had one substitution (toiiet rolls) , and two not absolutely vital food items unavailable, so a big thank you to them for this. And now I'll be eating normally and relatively calmly for the next week.:hungry:

Reactions: Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wife works for the NHS and there is a Morrison's next to the hospital so she was able to pick up some stuff in the NHS only hour this morning including toilet Rolls and tinned tomatoes a minor miracle hallelujah.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered a near neighbour who normally delivers fruit and veg to the now closed restaurants is selling fruit and veg boxes to local households - not only convenient but better quality than we usually get. Now if only I could find a local chicken farm with some eggs.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone struggling for deliveries this company may deliver in your area, sadly not to my area but hope it helps someone - you just put in your postcode to see if they cover your area

https://www.beelivery.com/

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I discovered a near neighbour who normally delivers fruit and veg to the now closed restaurants is selling fruit and veg boxes to local households - not only convenient but better quality than we usually get. Now if only I could find a local chicken farm with some eggs.

Or a few chickens like my Nan used to have! x

Reactions: kev-w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just tried to log into my Asda account just out of idle curiosity really but found my self in an on line queue to sign in.o_O

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Food wise not doing too bad.. In the absence of meat there has been stuff like mushrooms, broccoli, peppers & celeriac left behind..
So been on a low carb vegan journey some nights.. With celeriac steaks? (Half aprox the carb content of spuds.)

I actually had a proper meal today for lunch, one that would have been a good meal before T2 diagnosis. Roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, green peas. The beef and peas came from cans, the potatoes, dried, came from a box. I am not buying any fresh foods these days; I want food that hasn't been handled or breathed on or sneezed on by other customers; food that was hopefully processed before the coronavirus hit. The only "fresh" foods I am eating these days are yogurt and cheese.
Hello,
I like your style!

However,
On the subject of handled veg; along with bird poop & dead insects, isn't that what washing in preparation & cooking meant to avoid? The cooking process would take care of the rest...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Then of course there is celeriac mash and fries also hasselback celeriac .

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just tried to log into my Asda account just out of idle curiosity really but found my self in an on line queue to sign in.o_O
I wouldn't bother. All slots are booked (in my area anyway) until April 9th. Cannot book beyond that yet. Every man and his dog is in on this now. I used to always do home delivery up until Feb. The system's in melt down. Time to grow your own.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wouldn't bother. All slots are booked (in my area anyway) until April 9th. Cannot book beyond that yet. Every man and his dog is in on this now. I used to always do home delivery up until Feb. The system's in melt down. Time to grow your own.
Yes I as I said somewhere else people are booking multiple delivery slots by ordering loads of single items then cancelling at last minute the ones they don't want.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I as I said somewhere else people are booking multiple delivery slots by ordering loads of single items then cancelling at last minute the ones they don't want.
Sainsbury's say you can only make one booking a week. In an email today they said they have had more contacts to their customer care in two weeks than they normally have in a year with people trying to book slots.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Unbelievable. TBH I'm not going to use it until things are back to normal as I am young enough to drive to the shop. I think older folk or those at high risk should get priority. But that's probably not gonna happen.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I visited my local morrisons supermarket yesterday evening, there was a small queue outside to limit the numbers inside but was able to get the shopping I needed with no problem I even got to hit the mark downs :p