COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

M

Member496333

Possibly off topic but this seems to be the running CV19 discussion, so please forgive a minor transgression.

Corona-shaming is becoming a real problem. I work in a high pressure engineering environment where some of us literally cannot do our job without interacting closely with colleagues. We cannot test and commission complex systems and maintain a two metre air gap. It’s simply impossible. Yet those who are not in our position are constantly whining about it. I respect their right to be super vigilant but, honestly, if it’s that much of a concern then they should go home.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much change here in the state of Washington...

March 17 - K-12 schools closed; all places where people socialize or engage in recreation activities closed (but take out from restaurants still okay).

March 26 - "Stay Home Stay Safe" begins; non-essential businesses close.

April 2 - "Stay Home Stay Safe" and non-essential business closures extended to May 4th.

That's a total of 7 weeks and we're only 2 1/2 weeks into this so far. Thankfully, even though our department - (we're "essential services") - transitioned to a rotating "skeleton crew" beginning on Tuesday, I learned Wednesday morning that I'd still be able to work so we'll still have some income coming in.

These efforts are making a difference as compared to the other harder hit states of New York and New Jersey, but we need to and will continue. These are the graphs that the governor presented tonight: the second graph shows that despite our efforts, positive COVID-19 tests are still rising; in the first graph, Washington State is the yellow line; other states are New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and California...

Attachments

• COVID-19 Graph - Cumulative Cases Per 100000 NY NJ CT WA CA.2020.03.30.jpeg
    COVID-19 Graph - Cumulative Cases Per 100000 NY NJ CT WA CA.2020.03.30.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Percent of COVID-19 tests in Washington that are positive.png
    Percent of COVID-19 tests in Washington that are positive.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly off topic but this seems to be the running CV19 discussion, so please forgive a minor transgression.

Corona-shaming is becoming a real problem. I work in a high pressure engineering environment where some of us literally cannot do our job without interacting closely with colleagues. We cannot test and commission complex systems and maintain a two metre air gap. It’s simply impossible. Yet those who are not in our position are constantly whining about it. I respect their right to be super vigilant but, honestly, if it’s that much of a concern then they should go home.

I know EXACTLY what you mean Jim! x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard a German doctor saying exactly that in a TV interview a few days ago. He went on to say this would possibly change and the Germans should expect to see a large increase in recorded deaths.

But also, the Germans were testing anyone who asked to be tested, not primarily the very sick turning up at hospital. So it was a younger, stronger & healthier sample.

The FT graph wizard guy is good on this. His graphs are brilliant, & there is no paywall. I’m attaching link below here to his Tweet thread? which has his comments also, incl on this. Germ’s death rate has actually been growing apace all the while.

Here is link to tweet thread. I really recommend following these. They show the rate of increase very clearly. Ghastly as it is.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1245822180694212609?s=21

Reactions: zand

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some report published by the NHS yesterday (2 April) had in it that most of the UK seriously ill are overweight or obese. Something like 70 per cent. Sorry, too tired to find it, but was reputable. That wd seem to pt to T2. Thro what mechanism tho?

I think that's too simplistic and not true, (the bit about being overweight & obese pointing to 'type 2') and it's also stereotypical. If the 70% are overweight then even now only a small proportion have diabetes, there could be a myriad of reasons as to why they have become seriously ill. It is most likely overall health as well as pure luck/dna as to who gets seriously ill and who doesn't. I think that trying to point the finger at any one thing may give people a reason to think 'I won't get it because I'm not this, that and the other'.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some report published by the NHS yesterday (2 April) had in it that most of the UK seriously ill are overweight or obese. Something like 70 per cent. Sorry, too tired to find it, but was reputable. That wd seem to pt to T2. Thro what mechanism tho?

I hate info like this.
The much better question - as you so rightly say - is by what mechanism does having excess weight lead to higher risk? Insulin resistance? high bp? lower lung capacity through a more sedentary lifestyle? Metabolic syndrome? the list is a long one.

Reactions: KK123

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i think it will be almost impossible to winnow ‘facts’ out of the recorded numbers for anything. :(

only yesterday I read that the reason Germany has such an astonishingly low C-19 death rate is not because people are not dying. Rather it is because the death certificates record cause of death differently from other countries, and if the COVID-19 made someone so ill that their heart gave out, then they are recorded as dying of heart failure, not C-19.

as @HSSS says, we will only see anything clearly when the horrendous final numbers are in.

Re deaths in Germany & everywhere, remember they reflect infection 3-5 weeks previously. So for the moment they will continue to get worse everywhere. They won’t lessen off till 5 weeks after lockdown.

Lucy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This post is for fellow T2s who are obese with massive IR high BP and mild asthma and are over 60...just like me . I got through the virus. At first I didn't know what it was until I got ever drier. It was the dryness that made breathing difficult. I am still sore from all the coughing but I am also still here. Statistics don't mean a thing on an individual level. We are all individuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedrick69 and KK123

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This post is for fellow T2s who are obese with massive IR high BP and mild asthma and are over 60...just like me I got through the virus. At first I didn't know what it was until I got ever drier. It was the dryness that made breathing difficult. I am still sore from all the coughing but I am also still here. Statistics don't mean a thing on an individual level. We are all individuals.

Bless you Zand.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one is pointing the finger. It is a discussion. No need to be defensive. We’re all in this together.

Oh dear, is that how you respond as if it's simply me being 'defensive'?, I have no reason to defend anything, I was merely pointing out your stereotyping.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you have edited your post, but considering 65% of the UK population are considered overweight or above, I would expect those getting coronavirus to be overweight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

An article explaining the difficulties with the way deaths are being recorded and how hard it is to compare as a result. Also to work out what is BECAUSE of covid and what is merely present at death from other causes.

All of these are being recorded as covid deaths in the U.K. apparently not in Germany. It also highlights that whilst many of those dying would have done so within months anyway (statistically not individuals) it it the short time span ie the comparatively short peak that is so overwhelming.

Certainly an interesting read that raises a fair few questions in addition to those being asked more widely.

I find my thoughts confused about what’s most appropriate now given where we are right now (not back in January or February with hindsight), made more so by the problems with the data feeding those thoughts.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, is that how you respond as if it's simply me being 'defensive'?, I have no reason to defend anything, I was merely pointing out your stereotyping.
I see I was defensive myself and have deleted my response and the original post, which I wrote in good faith and, as I said, while tired. Please withdraw the phrase "your stereotyping".

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

intersting Jim.

as always appreciate what you say.

surely in such an unprecedented time, we should lock down or not, slow the virus of not.
the idea some can still go to work, is a necessary evil.

but all and sundry, (not meaning you, i mean the home extensions, the luxury flats etc )
if you are essential i can't say.
but if the lock down as is doesn't do the trick, and it's looking unlikely, then we simply step it up to the next and next levels as have others

surely better if we all step back now, and ONLY let those truly essential take the chance of spreading it, with as many precautions as practical, because we all benefit.

for me i'd say if you can't commit as a company to the 2 metre rule, then unless your building
a hospital, etc to be finished in the next few weeks, that sacrificing you and those you work with, is in the national good.
your are not essential...imho.

i do of course realise this creates hardships which is where the govt should and is trying to lead.

others may disagree.

but the longer this goes on the tighter restrictions become the more infections the more deaths etc etc
doesn't seem too far fetched.

SHORT tight lock down OR a drift into tighter and tighter controls, as numbers mount because we did not take stronger action earlier.
decisions decisions, huh

for the record .
diabetic asthmatic, 60,,in the zone, so self isolating.

stay well, fella.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
bbc
Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group - that's the local NHS management in that part of Sussex -
letter to care homes etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52155359

My wife is a nurse in a nursing home just along the coast in West Sussex. As yet they have no PPE and the hospital is begging them to take elderly people from the wards to free up beds. The home is actually full at the moment but they are also scared that they will import the bugs from the hospital if they co-operate.

I don't think there are any plans to send people to hospital if they get the virus. The CQC has basically said isolate and hope for the best as far as I can work out.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Unfortunately, cancer stops for nothing, not even Covid-19. We are still installing and maintaining radiotherapy equipment in hospitals and oncology centres all around the world.
There are precautions that can be taken, - this level of PPE is not normal attire.
(Did somebody mention a photo opportunity?)
upload_2020-4-3_17-31-16.png

Just wondering, does your role stop you wearing an appropriate level of PPE?

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife is a nurse in a nursing home just along the coast in West Sussex. As yet they have no PPE and the hospital is begging them to take elderly people from the wards to free up beds. The home is actually full at the moment but they are also scared that they will import the bugs from the hospital if they co-operate.

I don't think there are any plans to send people to hospital if they get the virus. The CQC has basically said isolate and hope for the best as far as I can work out.

Can't begin in here to say how that makes me feel ..so how must people like your wife and their families feel about all this.

Awful situation.
My best wishes to you and your family.
May you all stay safe and well.