1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bill_St, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I imagine that you would be hospitalised only if your coronavirus symptoms warranted it, whether you have diabetes or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Possibly off topic but this seems to be the running CV19 discussion, so please forgive a minor transgression.

Corona-shaming is becoming a real problem. I work in a high pressure engineering environment where some of us literally cannot do our job without interacting closely with colleagues. We cannot test and commission complex systems and maintain a two metre air gap. It’s simply impossible. Yet those who are not in our position are constantly whining about it. I respect their right to be super vigilant but, honestly, if it’s that much of a concern then they should go home.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So much change here in the state of Washington...

March 17 - K-12 schools closed; all places where people socialize or engage in recreation activities closed (but take out from restaurants still okay).

March 26 - "Stay Home Stay Safe" begins; non-essential businesses close.

April 2 - "Stay Home Stay Safe" and non-essential business closures extended to May 4th.

That's a total of 7 weeks and we're only 2 1/2 weeks into this so far. Thankfully, even though our department - (we're "essential services") - transitioned to a rotating "skeleton crew" beginning on Tuesday, I learned Wednesday morning that I'd still be able to work so we'll still have some income coming in.

These efforts are making a difference as compared to the other harder hit states of New York and New Jersey, but we need to and will continue. These are the graphs that the governor presented tonight: the second graph shows that despite our efforts, positive COVID-19 tests are still rising; in the first graph, Washington State is the yellow line; other states are New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and California...

#1263 Winnie53, Apr 3, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know EXACTLY what you mean Jim! x

5. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But also, the Germans were testing anyone who asked to be tested, not primarily the very sick turning up at hospital. So it was a younger, stronger & healthier sample.

The FT graph wizard guy is good on this. His graphs are brilliant, & there is no paywall. I’m attaching link below here to his Tweet thread? which has his comments also, incl on this. Germ’s death rate has actually been growing apace all the while.

Here is link to tweet thread. I really recommend following these. They show the rate of increase very clearly. Ghastly as it is.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1245822180694212609?s=21

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. KK123

I think that's too simplistic and not true, (the bit about being overweight & obese pointing to 'type 2') and it's also stereotypical. If the 70% are overweight then even now only a small proportion have diabetes, there could be a myriad of reasons as to why they have become seriously ill. It is most likely overall health as well as pure luck/dna as to who gets seriously ill and who doesn't. I think that trying to point the finger at any one thing may give people a reason to think 'I won't get it because I'm not this, that and the other'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I hate info like this.
    The much better question - as you so rightly say - is by what mechanism does having excess weight lead to higher risk? Insulin resistance? high bp? lower lung capacity through a more sedentary lifestyle? Metabolic syndrome? the list is a long one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LucySW

Re deaths in Germany & everywhere, remember they reflect infection 3-5 weeks previously. So for the moment they will continue to get worse everywhere. They won’t lessen off till 5 weeks after lockdown.

Lucy

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

This post is for fellow T2s who are obese with massive IR high BP and mild asthma and are over 60...just like me . I got through the virus. At first I didn't know what it was until I got ever drier. It was the dryness that made breathing difficult. I am still sore from all the coughing but I am also still here. Statistics don't mean a thing on an individual level. We are all individuals.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #1269 zand, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  10. LucySW

Bless you Zand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. KK123

Oh dear, is that how you respond as if it's simply me being 'defensive'?, I have no reason to defend anything, I was merely pointing out your stereotyping.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I see you have edited your post, but considering 65% of the UK population are considered overweight or above, I would expect those getting coronavirus to be overweight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. lucylocket61

exactly. so please dont be defensive.

• Like Like x 2
  14. lucylocket61

there are T2's on insulin as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

An article explaining the difficulties with the way deaths are being recorded and how hard it is to compare as a result. Also to work out what is BECAUSE of covid and what is merely present at death from other causes.

All of these are being recorded as covid deaths in the U.K. apparently not in Germany. It also highlights that whilst many of those dying would have done so within months anyway (statistically not individuals) it it the short time span ie the comparatively short peak that is so overwhelming.

Certainly an interesting read that raises a fair few questions in addition to those being asked more widely.

I find my thoughts confused about what’s most appropriate now given where we are right now (not back in January or February with hindsight), made more so by the problems with the data feeding those thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LucySW

I see I was defensive myself and have deleted my response and the original post, which I wrote in good faith and, as I said, while tired. Please withdraw the phrase "your stereotyping".

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

18. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

intersting Jim.

as always appreciate what you say.

surely in such an unprecedented time, we should lock down or not, slow the virus of not.
    the idea some can still go to work, is a necessary evil.

but all and sundry, (not meaning you, i mean the home extensions, the luxury flats etc )
    if you are essential i can't say.
    but if the lock down as is doesn't do the trick, and it's looking unlikely, then we simply step it up to the next and next levels as have others

surely better if we all step back now, and ONLY let those truly essential take the chance of spreading it, with as many precautions as practical, because we all benefit.

for me i'd say if you can't commit as a company to the 2 metre rule, then unless your building
    a hospital, etc to be finished in the next few weeks, that sacrificing you and those you work with, is in the national good.
    your are not essential...imho.

i do of course realise this creates hardships which is where the govt should and is trying to lead.

others may disagree.

but the longer this goes on the tighter restrictions become the more infections the more deaths etc etc
    doesn't seem too far fetched.

SHORT tight lock down OR a drift into tighter and tighter controls, as numbers mount because we did not take stronger action earlier.
    decisions decisions, huh

for the record .
    diabetic asthmatic, 60,,in the zone, so self isolating.

stay well, fella.

19. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My wife is a nurse in a nursing home just along the coast in West Sussex. As yet they have no PPE and the hospital is begging them to take elderly people from the wards to free up beds. The home is actually full at the moment but they are also scared that they will import the bugs from the hospital if they co-operate.

I don't think there are any plans to send people to hospital if they get the virus. The CQC has basically said isolate and hope for the best as far as I can work out.

• Hug Hug x 1
  20. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately, cancer stops for nothing, not even Covid-19. We are still installing and maintaining radiotherapy equipment in hospitals and oncology centres all around the world.
    There are precautions that can be taken, - this level of PPE is not normal attire.
    (Did somebody mention a photo opportunity?)
    upload_2020-4-3_17-31-16.png

Just wondering, does your role stop you wearing an appropriate level of PPE?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook