How often do you check BG?

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering how often folks check their blood glucose level.

I typically do six checks a day:

Fasting/breakfast preprandial.
Breakfast 2hr postprandial.
Lunch preprandial.
Lunch 2hr postptandial.
Dinner preprandial.
Dinner 2hr postprandial.

Occasionally I'll do more, particularly if I'm trying a new food.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I used to do at least as often as you. As my lifestyle food is now settled I only test occasionally tmaybe in a week 5 or 6 times in total.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lunch preprandial.
Lunch 2hr postptandial.
Dinner preprandial.
Dinner 2hr postprandial.

Lately I've been experimenting a little with food/patterns again, so I have been checking a few times a day. But before that, only when I ate in a place unknown to me, or if I was feeling off somehow. Which is what i'll go back to once this experiment is over. :)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Minimum 4 times a day
Breakfast
Dinner
Tea
Bedtime
Only because I have the Libre though
xx

Reactions: kev-w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These days, hardly ever.
even when still testing fairly regularly I only checked after my evening meal to see if it was OK to have a dessert.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge

Lunch preprandial.
Lunch 2hr postptandial.
Dinner preprandial.
Dinner 2hr postprandial.

There is no standard protocol; it all depends on why we test. There is the glycemic cycle (6 times a day) to have a broad idea about how the body react after meals. There is fasting plasma glucose which is supposed to check the lowest ever over a day. I have performed all of these. There is another way aiming at seeing how the body reacts to a particular meal/type or quantity of a certain food item. The procedure is as follows: test just before a meal (pre-prandial) and then once every half an hour (post-prandial) for a period of two hours; i.e., 4 times with intervals of 30 min. I do this protocol to see how a certain food or the quantity of it affects my blood glucose. Yet, the way we eat might have consequences on the effect of foods containing sugar on our blood glucose. I found out that starting my meal with a healthy lipid (butter, olive oil, meat, fish, etc.) buffers the glucose peaks. I need to point out that I am following a LCHF diet as much as possible. I am not: vegan, vegetarian or carnivore. All I am after are healthy nutrients: essential lipids (not trans-fats or seed oils), vitamins, minerals and bio-available proteins (animal- or plant- sourced, although I prefer animal-based). When diagnosed my Hba1c was 66 mmol/mol, Jan. 2020 40 mmol/mom; I am on no diabetes medication. Just a good diet and regular exercise.

MarkHaZ123

Probabky around 8-10 times a day depending on the day. I have the libre so it makes it easier when out

If it's a normal day il check....

During the night
Morning
Mid morning
Before dinner
Mid afternoon
Before tea
Mid evening
Before bed

If I go out on the bike or play football it will be even more, usually every hour whilst out

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I used to test 8to10 times a day, even now with the libre and x drip I test once a day, but look at my readings 15 to 25 times a day

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine would be the same as MarkHaZ123 ordinarily

Before breakfast
2 hrs after
Before lunch
2 hours after
Before dinner
2 hours after
Before bed
Around 3am

But at the moment it’s every two hours because I’m unwell

D

Deleted member 308541

Fasting and before and after breakfast, lunch, dinner, I can keep good control this way.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Twice a day these days but have a transmitter on the Libre so I get 5 minute updates on my phone, >10x before the Libre....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When first diagnosed I tested 8 times a day fasting, before and after each of 3 meals and bedtime.
Once my HbA1c was in the normal range and I had enough meals tested I went to max 5 times/day. I always do fasting and before and after dinner though. Like @Tipetoo , it keeps me on the straight and narrow as I put all my readings into the MySugr app to watch the estimated HbA1c trends.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially (ie seven years ago), James tested before and after each meal, therefore six times a day. Once it had fully sunk in that bread, however brown and bitty, muesli, despite all the health claims and fruit, regardless of its supposed life giving properties, really were just sugar bombs and we fully adopted a low carb lifestyle, testing became repetitious. About a year later, we planned a week of tests, just to check things over, but it was pointless, low carb doesn't put your sugars up.
He hasn't tested for years, but his occasional HbA1c's are all in the 30's.
Sally

Reactions: Bex72

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just started using a libre 2 days ago so I've been scanning an awful lot (it's fascinating!) and doing an actual blood test maybe 3-4 times a day, previously it would be at least 8 times a day, sometimes up to about 15 if my bloods were being particularly hideous!