1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How often do you check BG?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Captain Crunch, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how often folks check their blood glucose level.

I typically do six checks a day:

Fasting/breakfast preprandial.
    Breakfast 2hr postprandial.
    Lunch preprandial.
    Lunch 2hr postptandial.
    Dinner preprandial.
    Dinner 2hr postprandial.

Occasionally I'll do more, particularly if I'm trying a new food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I used to do at least as often as you. As my lifestyle food is now settled I only test occasionally tmaybe in a week 5 or 6 times in total.

3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Lately I've been experimenting a little with food/patterns again, so I have been checking a few times a day. But before that, only when I ate in a place unknown to me, or if I was feeling off somehow. Which is what i'll go back to once this experiment is over. :)

4. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Minimum 4 times a day
    Breakfast
    Dinner
    Tea
    Bedtime
    Only because I have the Libre though
    xx

• Like Like x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

These days, hardly ever.
    even when still testing fairly regularly I only checked after my evening meal to see if it was OK to have a dessert.

6. NéjiSaïdi

NéjiSaïdi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is no standard protocol; it all depends on why we test. There is the glycemic cycle (6 times a day) to have a broad idea about how the body react after meals. There is fasting plasma glucose which is supposed to check the lowest ever over a day. I have performed all of these. There is another way aiming at seeing how the body reacts to a particular meal/type or quantity of a certain food item. The procedure is as follows: test just before a meal (pre-prandial) and then once every half an hour (post-prandial) for a period of two hours; i.e., 4 times with intervals of 30 min. I do this protocol to see how a certain food or the quantity of it affects my blood glucose. Yet, the way we eat might have consequences on the effect of foods containing sugar on our blood glucose. I found out that starting my meal with a healthy lipid (butter, olive oil, meat, fish, etc.) buffers the glucose peaks. I need to point out that I am following a LCHF diet as much as possible. I am not: vegan, vegetarian or carnivore. All I am after are healthy nutrients: essential lipids (not trans-fats or seed oils), vitamins, minerals and bio-available proteins (animal- or plant- sourced, although I prefer animal-based). When diagnosed my Hba1c was 66 mmol/mol, Jan. 2020 40 mmol/mom; I am on no diabetes medication. Just a good diet and regular exercise.

7. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

Probabky around 8-10 times a day depending on the day. I have the libre so it makes it easier when out

If it's a normal day il check....

During the night
    Morning
    Mid morning
    Before dinner
    Mid afternoon
    Before tea
    Mid evening
    Before bed

If I go out on the bike or play football it will be even more, usually every hour whilst out

8. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I used to test 8to10 times a day, even now with the libre and x drip I test once a day, but look at my readings 15 to 25 times a day

9. KesLouise

KesLouise LADA · Well-Known Member

Mine would be the same as MarkHaZ123 ordinarily

Before breakfast
    2 hrs after
    Before lunch
    2 hours after
    Before dinner
    2 hours after
    Before bed
    Around 3am

But at the moment it’s every two hours because I’m unwell

10. Laconic

Laconic · Well-Known Member

Hardly ever test now, only if I’ve eaten something I really shouldn’t have

11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Fasting and before and after breakfast, lunch, dinner, I can keep good control this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Twice a day these days but have a transmitter on the Libre so I get 5 minute updates on my phone, >10x before the Libre....

13. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

When first diagnosed I tested 8 times a day fasting, before and after each of 3 meals and bedtime.
    Once my HbA1c was in the normal range and I had enough meals tested I went to max 5 times/day. I always do fasting and before and after dinner though. Like @Tipetoo , it keeps me on the straight and narrow as I put all my readings into the MySugr app to watch the estimated HbA1c trends.

• Like Like x 1
  14. aspot

aspot · Member

I do 4 x a day. Before breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime.

15. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Initially (ie seven years ago), James tested before and after each meal, therefore six times a day. Once it had fully sunk in that bread, however brown and bitty, muesli, despite all the health claims and fruit, regardless of its supposed life giving properties, really were just sugar bombs and we fully adopted a low carb lifestyle, testing became repetitious. About a year later, we planned a week of tests, just to check things over, but it was pointless, low carb doesn't put your sugars up.
    He hasn't tested for years, but his occasional HbA1c's are all in the 30's.
    Sally

• Like Like x 1
  16. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just started using a libre 2 days ago so I've been scanning an awful lot (it's fascinating!) and doing an actual blood test maybe 3-4 times a day, previously it would be at least 8 times a day, sometimes up to about 15 if my bloods were being particularly hideous!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook