What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an impressive haul you have there. It must have been quite a weight to be carrying so far and for so long.

Most of that went in my backpack, but I did also have 2 bags to carry as also stocked up on detergents, loo roll and other assorted household items. Never looks very much in the trolley!

Thought of @Tipetoo as there was some Bundaberg ginger beer and root beer on sale .

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast: h/m low carb granola, one slice burgen with butter
lunch: lo dough wrap with cheese, salad and one teaspoon of pickle. protein bar.
tea: corn fed roast chicken - never seen such a yellow bird, quite unnerving - crispy chicken skin, green beans, carrots, h/m gravy, onions. cherries and cream.
snacks: lots of chocolate covered coffee beans included in a special offer dark selection Hotel Chocolat tempted me with

Even though I am eating a few more carbs seem to have lost a bit of weight and an inch from waist??? Must be all the walks. Managed to forage some lamb leg steaks, bottle of wine and a yummy Yorkshire Provender soup from co-op. Looking forward to using the lamb to test out my george foremen grill which arrives on Monday. Also, waiting for a mini food processor bought with christmas gift cards. Total kitchen re-vamp in line with new low carb cooking style!:angelic:

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all cold and wet today but made it easier to do my paid work - sat at pc all day! A bit more work tomorrow afternoon but then hopefully finished until May.
Breakfast scrambled eggs
Dinner chicken curry with raita ( using some mint from garden) with a chaffle and gin and soda followed by rhubarb fool and yogurt
Later will have decaf coffee and one montezumas 100% peanut butter egg.
Hoping to have virtual coffee mid morning tomorrow via zoom with some friends.not done this before so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Later will have decaf coffee and one montezumas 100% peanut butter egg.
really tried to like those peanut butter eggs, but I'm ashamed to say they went in the bin! Like the absolute black too so can't understand it

Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had the mussels for my dinner - there were 2 packets in the box and I had one of them. The other one will go in the bin. Must admit, I haven't had mussels for years but these just were not nice! It wasn't just the "sauce" although that was pretty awful but the mussels themselves were tasteless and too soft - overcooked but not rubbery overcooked, just disintegrating. An experiment, but a failed one. Had a slice of bread and marmite instead.

Neil says he won't be repeating the prawns experiment either. Headache and washed out today - not a serious effect, but an effect that happens with some dodgy foods for him. He's pretty useless with all animal products - even honey - but he can eat tinned mackerel in brine or sardines in brine so he thought he might be able to eat prawns. But no.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Jaffa carb killa bar
Late Lunch: Cold chicken drum stick followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: Last cold chicken drumstick with coleslaw, pork scratchings and leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Then I had a low carb clementine shortbread which I made this afternoon. I wanted to make lemon ones but couldn’t get a single lemon on my Tesco delivery, so requested an orange, only a clementine came Instead! :joyful:

75BC2CB5-57DE-43D9-A94A-FAD28AD2BF63.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18-04-2020
Usual breakfast, CWC, nut granola, scrambled eggs, CWC
Lunch was very late due to extensive (and expensive)shopping trip. We had lettuce, radish,tomato and cucumber. Pate on toast for me, sesame baguette for him.
Dinner. Bolognese, mine served on buttered cabbage. His though was the real deal -Spaghetti Bolognese.
Mad rush to get everything done before he leaves for the UK.
Had thought we would have one, or two weeks to prepare and pack. Actual time 2 days, except he didn't get the notification until 5pm, so most of that day was already gone.
Few jobs he wanted done still unfinished, or abandoned. Will be down to me, or not, some is very heavy work.
Think I mentioned we had got our stuff inside. Well that's as far as it went. Many boxes still piled up in the living room. That will be task for me as well.
While sorting I found some more French bean seeds. Previous twentyish seeds planted produced two good plants and four wimpy ones. Will be ripping those out If they don't pick up by the time new seedlings are ready for planting out.
Think I need a plan of action for tomorrow- it's going to be so strange. On my own, ok for a while, three, maybe six months. That's a bit different. So glad it's summer coming. Think winter would be unbearable.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First time popping my food on here!
Brekky. Gluten free flakes and blueberries
Lunch. After hypo so didn’t enjoy it too much, bacon egg mushroom slice toast
Dinner. Home made paella, half pack savoury rice, prawns, crab sticks, chorizo
Activia yogurt and blueberries

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a birthday in our house today - daughter’s partner so we tried to make it jolly. ( meant I didn’t get out to Lidl to check on the new gadget though)
Her favourite breakfast is crumpets with melted cheese and Worcestershire sauce so they had that and I had a cheese and ham fried sandwich made with 90 second mug bread. I’d forgotten how easy and good this is.

She also had requested a bbq for dinner - seemed such a good idea last week but we sat in the cold drizzle and persevered in true Brit style. I wore a scarf and woolly hat too. I ate a lamb chop, Halloumi and a couple of Heck chicken sausages with salad. 2 glasses red.

While searching for the mug bread recipe earlier I came across another old favourite - the IP custard pots. I made some of these and had one while they had birthday cake, they are still very good. I used monkfruit sweetener instead of erythritol.
Very glad to get indoors again for Zoom quiz with rest of family and friends.
@Goonergal what a good crop! Even in a back pack it must have been heavy though.
@SlimLizzy I can imagine how daunted you must feel. I hope all goes well for Mr S departure and agree a good routine will be vital for you.
IMG_2419.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The bread and marmite was a bad idea yesterday evening - BG shot up to 18.5 by bed time. - admittedly it had been a bit on the high side all day (FBG 9.5).

This morning it is 8.8, so it's obviously still going to be high - after 2 days when it kept dropping into the low 4's. I'd even had to eat 4 boiled sweets to get it up to 5 and start to feel OK. But not yesterday or today, obviously.

Breakfast will be bacon and egg, in a little while. Hopefully, no lunch.
Dinner will be roast lamb and some mixed vegetables - also roast with the lamb.

@SlimLizzy - hope all goes well for your husband over the next weeks and that you manage to cope by yourself. It can't be easy being left on your own and isolated, especially when you have been working together so well and achieving so much. Take care of yourselves - both of you.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
18-04-2020
Usual breakfast, CWC, nut granola, scrambled eggs, CWC
Lunch was very late due to extensive (and expensive)shopping trip. We had lettuce, radish,tomato and cucumber. Pate on toast for me, sesame baguette for him.
Dinner. Bolognese, mine served on buttered cabbage. His though was the real deal -Spaghetti Bolognese.
Mad rush to get everything done before he leaves for the UK.
Had thought we would have one, or two weeks to prepare and pack. Actual time 2 days, except he didn't get the notification until 5pm, so most of that day was already gone.
Few jobs he wanted done still unfinished, or abandoned. Will be down to me, or not, some is very heavy work.
Think I mentioned we had got our stuff inside. Well that's as far as it went. Many boxes still piled up in the living room. That will be task for me as well.
While sorting I found some more French bean seeds. Previous twentyish seeds planted produced two good plants and four wimpy ones. Will be ripping those out If they don't pick up by the time new seedlings are ready for planting out.
Think I need a plan of action for tomorrow- it's going to be so strange. On my own, ok for a while, three, maybe six months. That's a bit different. So glad it's summer coming. Think winter would be unbearable.

@SlimLizzy You are SO brave - I know I couldn't do what you are planning. Please say a big thank you to Mr S and next Thursday when I do the usual clapping for carers I will be thinking of him and you.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DJC3 I had to laugh at your BBQ - next door bought one of those fire pits yesterday. She experimentally lit it, stood next to it for half a glass of wine then shot back indoors.

@ianpspurs I thought of you when I was unpacking the salad, avocados and mackerel fillets from my Asda order. I hope you are both okay - I'm missing your posts. x

Its a lovely sunny day here but definitely a bit nippy in the shade. I'm glad today is roast dinner day - the oven is warming up the kitchen (which is at the north facing back of the house) nicely.

We had a personal care morning this morning - Mr C and I attempted to cut each others hair and (luckily) didn't make a bad job of it.

So today...

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: (Mr C will have roast chicken and stuffing). I will have quorn fillets, both will have roast parsnips and carrots, steamed cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and broccoli, gravy and h/m low carb cranberry sauce

Plenty of decent decaff coffee, water and red wine

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That rotisserie chicken you did looked brilliant. How do you do a Chinese meal in it??
"14 langoustine. Gave Hubby the job of removing the shell - I cleaned them. Marinade of a mix of Tamari soy, lemon juice, crushed chilli, parsley, little bit of Monk fruit. While they were soaking I halved a pack of cherry tomatoes, button mushrooms and broke broccoli down to small florets. Seasoned with salt, black pepper , little olive oil and dried cumin. Put on a greaseproof circle in a pyrex bowl. 190C for 10 mins. While that was in I stir fried rice for Hubby and cauli rice for me and found a dish that would fit the air fryer and hold the seafood flat with the marinade. Since the langoustine were cooked they only needed a 3 min blast at 180C in the air fryer.
Loved the mixed veg and the langoustine were nicely spiced.
I really want lobster or lobster tails as there are loads of recipes for them."

It was a Chinese youtube site I found. She did quite a feast in the Air Fryer and it didn't require many alterations. Above was what we had. If I'd been able to get them I would have added clams.

Soak the clams in water, add salt to help cleaning. When ready to cook give them a rinse in boiling water. Line a bowl that fits the air fryer with foil. Put in a layer of enoki mushrooms. Add the cleaned clams, chopped onion, garlic, spring onion, coriander, Tamari soy, rice wine, little water. Cover over with foil and into air fryer 180C for 10 mins (stop at 5 mins to give a mix). Can give a few mins blast to reheat.

The lobster I wouldn't regard as Chinese but it appealed to me. Half and devein the lobster. Make a mix of chopped onion, garlic, coriander, spring onion and butter. Spread on the lobster halves and put in a foil lined dish. 180C 10 mins. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top then a quick blast to melt it.

I've also found a cauliflower fried rice recipe and chicken and cashew nuts which I'm going to do for Hubby. I'm going to settle down and start working out air fryer Chinese/Thai and will gradually add to CMT. I do have a few Thai dishes there already but many should be convertible for the air fryer.

It's just a case of timing and yesterday was easy with the langoustine being cooked.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"14 langoustine. Gave Hubby the job of removing the shell - I cleaned them. Marinade of a mix of Tamari soy, lemon juice, crushed chilli, parsley, little bit of Monk fruit. While they were soaking I halved a pack of cherry tomatoes, button mushrooms and broke broccoli down to small florets. Seasoned with salt, black pepper , little olive oil and dried cumin. Put on a greaseproof circle in a pyrex bowl. 190C for 10 mins. While that was in I stir fried rice for Hubby and cauli rice for me and found a dish that would fit the air fryer and hold the seafood flat with the marinade. Since the langoustine were cooked they only needed a 3 min blast at 180C in the air fryer.
Loved the mixed veg and the langoustine were nicely spiced.
I really want lobster or lobster tails as there are loads of recipes for them."

It was a Chinese youtube site I found. She did quite a feast in the Air Fryer and it didn't require many alterations. Above was what we had. If I'd been able to get them I would have added clams.

Soak the clams in water, add salt to help cleaning. When ready to cook give them a rinse in boiling water. Line a bowl that fits the air fryer with foil. Put in a layer of enoki mushrooms. Add the cleaned clams, chopped onion, garlic, spring onion, coriander, Tamari soy, rice wine, little water. Cover over with foil and into air fryer 180C for 10 mins (stop at 5 mins to give a mix). Can give a few mins blast to reheat.

The lobster I wouldn't regard as Chinese but it appealed to me. Half and devein the lobster. Make a mix of chopped onion, garlic, coriander, spring onion and butter. Spread on the lobster halves and put in a foil lined dish. 180C 10 mins. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top then a quick blast to melt it.

I've also found a cauliflower fried rice recipe and chicken and cashew nuts which I'm going to do for Hubby. I'm going to settle down and start working out air fryer Chinese/Thai and will gradually add to CMT. I do have a few Thai dishes there already but many should be convertible for the air fryer.

It's just a case of timing and yesterday was easy with the langoustine being cooked.

The Chinese langoustine dish sounds completely wonderful. I can almost smell it. I love lobster too; there are a couple of fishermen round here offering to deliver shellfish, but of course they’d be live and I’m not sure I could cope with plunging into boiling water or whatever I’m supposed to do. It’s feeble of me I know and I probably shouldn’t eat anything Ican’t deal with killing.
I’ll have to look at YouTube a bit more I think.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DJC3

I quite like the Taylor's of Harrogate one - I actually prefer the cheap and cheerful Asda own brand ground decaff (made quite strong) but the Asda one wasn't available this week so I got the Taylor's as a sub for the same price of the cheap Asda one - just having to remember not to use so much of it per brew. I can't drink non decaff - I'm very caffeine sensitive.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late last night, hanging around the internet at 11.45 waiting to queue for a Tescos delivery slot, i decided that Mr B deserved a pressie. Something to just say how wonderful he is.
I rootled around a bit, and found that Betty’s tearooms are still doing mailorder cakes
https://www.bettys.co.uk/
At some point this week a Betty’s lemon and lime high carb cake, and a pack of Betty’s posh caff coffee will arrive for him.
Also, strangely, some Betty’s florentines fell into the basket too.
Very pleased with my haul.
I still have some Deliciously Guilt Free cakes in the freezer from before xmas, so i can have those at the same time he has the carby ones.

B: sausage and egg
L: meatloaf
D: will be lamb chunks and lamb heart stew. Will need it too. V busy in garden today. Dogs exhausted with all the supervision they have been doing.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55