Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend and I have been working on a temporary enclosure all afternoon, after picking up Melle (the white one) and Roti. It's amazing, the things one can fit in my old Citroën C3 :hilarious:
They had to stay in the car for a while too, while we prepared their shed (mainly cleaning out trash, making a door, and screwing a board over a hole in the floor). The are used to getting fed treats by hand, but clearly not used to being handled, getting them in and out of the car and into their shed was an interesting exercise.

Once locked in their shed we built a temporary enclosure with plenty of grass to eat. The plan is to let them eat my whole garden in the future but we'll have some work to do on the garden fence first! I'll have to make something to keep them out when the doors to my garden are open too!

97998824_10220802605009291_7871612014802501632_o.jpg

97998455_10220802616169570_5936161977263980544_o.jpg
@Antje77 your new boys are beautiful! They look quite small (bearing in mind I know very little about goats); are they a small breed? How lucky they are to have found a home with you.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Lovely names, do they have a translation?
They’ve got lots to eat Antje. I really like the way you’ve adapted what’s to hand to make the pens in your car and your garden. Goats like your two are better than a lawn mower!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve just googled Melle and see that it’s liquorice toffee. And of course a roti is a roti. Yum!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 your new boys are beautiful! They look quite small (bearing in mind I know very little about goats); are they a small breed? How lucky they are to have found a home with you.
The're not very big goats, but definitely bigger than we thought when we brought a big dog bench for picking them up :D. Luckily the bench was foldable so there was enough room left to just put the goats in the back of the car!
Lovely names, do they have a translation?
They’ve got lots to eat Antje. I really like the way you’ve adapted what’s to hand to make the pens in your car and your garden. Goats like your two are better than a lawn mower!
I love the liquorice toffee of the Van Melle brand, but didn't think of them when choosing names, it was just the name to pop up, a Friesian boys' name. The only Melle I know was the cat of my mother's boyfriend, very nice cat he was too, and the name seemed fitting for this goat.
You're completely right about the origins of Roti's name. I was quite hungry when we were discussing names, and my neighbour said the goat looked like a rottweiler. Which instantly made me crave roti so here you go!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Diabetnam!

Awoke pretty blind at 2.5, & found a JB.
currently cruising at a steady altitude of 5.1 after hitting 6.0 with a coffee & a biscuit.
Yep, Lantus needs a tweak, new cartridge.. I feel I maybe wrestling my basal today.

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it a What the Heck time in T1land right now? How many other pimped up endocrine systems are there having a rebellious moment? Is it because we’ve been spooked by Antje’s job description? My 6 am foot on the floor had a new, dramatic shout this morning: 4.2 to 6.3 Within a five minute read, with a straight up arrow on the MM App and LibreLink. Dosed, and of course it came straight back down again, that’ll teach me to think I’m not awake enough yet to go through three systems to confirm.
In all honesty, these glitches are common in our lives, unless we’ve super-pimped the delivery. But boy, do they keep reminding us that this is indeed a 24/7 job however sleepy we may be.

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Some little ***** has dug up some of the broad beans I planted, so I put some old netting over the veg bed, balanced on bits of stuff husband hadn’t already incinerated. I also planted out squash and tomato plants in places there are usually flowers. I think I’m just taking out an insurance against another C-19 spike (please don’t let that happen), and we moderate risk oldies being cooped up until there’s a vaccine.
How are the rest of you feeling as lockdown’s gently lifted?

Reactions: Antje77

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning folks I hope that you are all well and your diabetes behaving

I have had a **** weekend with bloods all over the place and absolutley no reason for it that I can see. I am not stressed ( well I am now with all the high BG),feeling well, no aches or pains etc. BG has been running anything between 10 and 15. I have taken corrections but not really making a huge impact. I have tried temp basal at 125% and 150% for 4 hours at a time at it has brought BG down but only slightly.

BG was sitting around 10, so i took a correction dose to bring it down to around BG 6,and of course 1 hour later I am sitting at BG of 11.9.

I have upped my morning carb ratio so i am now taking 1 unit for every 4 g of carbs, it was 1:5. I have increased my Basal from 1.5 to 1.65 per hour during the day.

Lets try that for a few days and see how we go.

On the plus side ?? I am waiting on a letter from employer as I believe they are extending my furlough period until October. Luckily at moment I still receive full wages, hopefully they will keep doing this until October

But on negative side i should be sitting on a beach in Turkey at moment, 30 degrees, for annual 2 week holibobs. First time since 1997 I have not been to Turkey:arghh::arghh:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Antje77 ,

Sounds a little like Jilted John (Shuttleworth.)
Possibly Ian Dury?
Here's a song about goats.. :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Goat tunes...

Edit, a tiring weekend sanding and a loss of bottle back at work this morning as I froze on my 2nd climb so came home, quite odd really but such is life and I'll have a practise on my house tomorrow, it is time for a new job when I've finished the refurb but I just wanted to 'go out'.

My blood's spiked to 8 as I had a unit less for working and I didn't correct when I got home, it didn't even cross my mind tbh which was quite slack :p

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A very self isolating goatherd, @Jaylee, has he got a bit creaky? :happy:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Goat tunes...

Edit, a tiring weekend sanding and a loss of bottle back at work this morning as I froze on my 2nd climb so came home, quite odd really but such is life and I'll have a practise on my house tomorrow, it is time for a new job when I've finished the refurb but I just wanted to 'go out'.

My blood's spiked to 8 as I had a unit less for working and I didn't correct when I got home, it didn't even cross my mind tbh which was quite slack :p
That sounds horrid @kev-w. I don't go up tall ladders since I developed vertigo out of the blue some years back. Any ideas for the new career?

No news here, bgs okay, over-ate for lunch but knew I'd be working it off outside this afternoon. Just come in for a cup of tea. Hope everyone's well.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Goat tunes...

I used to be fine climbing ladders, not to any great height, but now any more than about 8 rungs up I literally cannot move. I am OK with fixed ladders though, In my work to access one of the plant rooms I need to climb about 20 steps. Must be an age thing

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin