Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
It’s already warm. I’ll be waving the hose over the garden later. What’s the betting there’ll be a hosepipe ban in the next month or so. We’ve had floods, then plague, now some drought this year. Oh I forgot, there’ve been a few fires too. No locusts in the UK yet, do mice digging up the broad beans count? No, didn’t think they would. Well that’s a relief.
Hugs to all who need them from me too. Have as good a diaday as you can.
Hope you get the work problem sorted out today @MeiChanski! Hope too that you throw off Covid sooner rather than later!
Morning all, and come on @Fairygodmother, let's look at the positives, we're still here, still standing, still talking to each other, and for all we know it might be a lovely summer where it only rains at night (Pollyanna? Moi?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:)

Have a good day all. @Robonthego you're more likely to get a response from @LooperCat if you tag her as I've done here to you and her - just type in the person's full user name including the@. Hopefully she'll pick up from my tag. Good luck - I'm still MDIing after 35 years, works for me - mostly!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, I ate a lower carb tea and spiked in the night :p I guess I'd have spiked anyway but was surprised, I rang my hospital clinic this morning, 'Hi Kevin' was the reply so they remember my voice which was pleasing, there's a lot to be said for being a champion b**lacher I reckon :) (and I can go on) but they had nothing new to tell me so all's well there...

The one data I'd like to see is to do with 'asymptomatic' carriers.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've looked for forum etiquette but can't see anything.
Hi @Robonthego , and welcome!

As this is a chatty thread, your question is perfectly fine here. You could also start a new thread about it for more visibility if you like, that's up to you.
Forum etiquette is a sticky thread in the 'Greetings and introductions' part of the forum https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/ and it's included as a link in the signature of every moderator. If you can't see signatures, try holding your phone in landscape position.

Enjoy the forum, good luck with the looping :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Robonthego and welcome.

Afternoon to everyone else.

Three days of my pre-lock down walking levels achieved and I think we can safely say my insulin sensitivity is back again. No hypos but definitely should not have bothered with fast-acting insulin at all this morning as I needed 40g of carbs between breakfast and lunch (7 miles walking - longest in one go for ages. I've not needed extra carbs for walks at all for the past 2 months) and still landed in at 4.1 before lunch.

Now seen all bar 2 students via video calls. I was seriously considering a complete change after all this is over but I have been reminded why I do all this in the first place. The looks on all their faces at seeing us all, albeit online, for the first time in two months has been so fantastic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey LooperCat, New to posting on this forum but been reading it for a while as I have attempted to set up my loop. All ready to go now. Having to use a miao miao on a Libre with Omnipod so have pulled Cal Young's Spike branch. I'm really annoyed that after some considerable pain getting "full spike" on my phone (was getting a error in spike resigner) it doesn't work with apple watch OS 6. Anybody solved this? Is the "pancreas app" you mention here the one that's been developed and rolled out by University of Cambridge at 70 quid a month? Does anyone have any experience with that. Looks to be quite prescriptive around what equipment you need in order to get entry. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've looked for forum etiquette but can't see anything. Sorry for all the questions - you seem to be in the know.
Hi and welcome to the thread! Just a quickie as I’m at work - I’m using the open source Loop, all the code and instructions you need are at Loopdocs.org - it looks daunting, but the instructions are very simple if you follow them step by step and take your time. It’s completely free. You just need to buy a radio link called a RileyLink that transfers the communication signal from your iPhone to your onmipod. That’s about £150 but is the only thing you need to buy (assuming you have an iphone and a Mac already).
Not sure about Spike on the watch, as I’m using the Loop and Dexcom apps to read my levels.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, hope you're coping with the heat and the relentless Corona virus news. I'm finding it all extremely depressing being bombarded by it. @MeiChanski hope you're getting better.
The positives yesterday were going queueing to get into the recycling centre to dump 15 bags of garden greens, coming home and filling 4 of them.
Madam BG has been doing a zig zag recently but has decided I get to wear a badge today 4.6 until the liver does a dump.
Take care

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, 25’ in our bedroom all night. We will do our daily 4 mile hike early again like yesterday. The wheat in the fields was just poking through when we first started on this route. It is now well past my waist. Amazing since we’ve had no rain. The edges of the fields are rock hard with big fissures in them.
Had brilliant numbers yesterday without any effort but also had a stinking headache all day. Which rather spoilt the affect.
@SueJB I too find the constant Covid news depressing. I have actually stopped listening and reading wherever I possibly can. As I have said before, I am retired with none of the immediate concerns and worries that I know others are stuck with. Other than missing 3 year old grandson, my at risk policeman son and dealing long distance with aged parents. I have social isolated for the whole 9 weeks without any problems. So I am also isolating from as much doom and gloom as possible. I am blessed and In a bubble I know.
Have a good day all.

Reactions: kev-w

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @SueJB I don't think you're the only one tired of everything having a Covid 19 element to it. I too am selective about what I watch and listen to, not least because I'm tired of so much speculation and second-guessing by journalists on all media. I wish news would go back to reporting facts instead of speculation and hype.

Thanks again @karen8967 8967 for the half-unit pens, have had a run of excellent morning bg as I can obviously adjust more finely now. Star sticker for you!

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, a waking 10 :/ but I've time to wait it down, self inflicted as I had two Morrisons best ham hock with leek and potato gratins for tea :)

I took my bike on the back of the car to a place called 'Thorp Arch' which was a munitions factory in ww2 and has a disused rail line nearby and rode it to a place called 'Spofforth' where there's an old castle at the top of a 3 mile hill, I was aware there was a hill but didn't realise how long it went on for and hit it at speed, which was fun as I overtook a few on the way up but the last half mile felt like it wanted to kill me :banghead:

It was fun coming back down it mind :p

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all! I did the most deliciously Normal thing yesterday and bought a coffee in the Costa shop at one of the big Swansea hospitals. I even got to pay for it and everything, like in normal times.

Bloods ok, rest day from work which means uni work.

How are you doing, @MeiChanski ?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @SueJB I don't think you're the only one tired of everything having a Covid 19 element to it. I too am selective about what I watch and listen to, not least because I'm tired of so much speculation and second-guessing by journalists on all media. I wish news would go back to reporting facts instead of speculation and hype.

Thanks again @karen8967 8967 for the half-unit pens, have had a run of excellent morning bg as I can obviously adjust more finely now. Star sticker for you!
glad they have helped hh1 the half-units really do make such a difference :happy:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Currently having a breakfast break whilst doing some proofreading for some uni student friends finishing up their year's work. (English is a 2nd language for these and all I need to do is help with sentence structure/punctuation where they've clearly been thinking in their first language!) plus I get to learn more about children's social work and mental health nursing. All-round win, really, it's one of the reasons I so enjoy this kind of proof-reading once I've worked up the motivation to do it. (Luckily, I always say I need 48 hours turnaround for it as I was not up for it after 3 days of returning to usual levels of activity and my motivation generally appears to be obeying instructions not to go out but stay hidden at home, and staying alert to any possibility of me approaching it by running away fast!)

Careful inspection of the now almost completely healed carbuncle site has confirmed my suspicion that it seems to have destroyed a small fatty lump which has been with me for all my adult life and never caused me any bother before once it had been checked out initially!! How weird. I'll keep monitoring it, though, as requested.

My head is struggling to get around the fact that next week is half-term and, in theory, I don't need to do any "work". Hmm... well, we're not contacting students, but there are some cunning plans for me preparing some activities for getting the ones who are least engaged involved. (One of the Japes' educational specialties is getting those young adults who don't want to be in education engaging, somehow.)

Let's see if diabetes can behave itself today after a good day yesterday.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do we think my extending to 2 metres painting pole, normally only in use when painting stairwells or removing spiders webs from similarly hard to reach places would like a walk today?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I totally agree @becca59, @SueJB and @hh1, the relentless Covid reports are hideously depressing.
I’m missing laughing with the ceramics crowd and meeting up with other friends immensely. Hugging growing grandchildren would be beyond ecstasy, nirvana, ditto daughters.
Highlights of yesterday were another gloriously tree-filled woodland walk; we struck out along small paths and wondered if we’d ever find our way home. Too old to be babes in the wood.
Biggest triumph was changing the Levemir cartridge - it seems to be copping out earlier and earlier despite being stored in the fridge queue, then put in a Frio when it’s in the pen.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Next door teenager’s just begun practising her saxophone, and there’s a young trumpet player further along who’s struck up too. They’re good, but it’s hard to convince their parents that we enjoy hearing them. Keep playing young’uns

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It is nice to get out of the house. Today was a snorkeling day which is always fun. Then we stopped at a newly brought back farmers market. Instead of down the middle of the shops they placed it in one of the parking lots. Each tent was 20 feet apart, one person at a time with lines painted 6 feet apart to wait. I picked up one of my favorite pineapples, but I think I like stopping at the farmers booth they have put up by the side of a road better. Since the 3 road booths are up all day there is usually no waiting and you have plenty of time to just look and see what you want.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is nice to get out of the house. Today was a snorkeling day which is always fun. Then we stopped at a newly brought back farmers market. Instead of down the middle of the shops they placed it in one of the parking lots. Each tent was 20 feet apart, one person at a time with lines painted 6 feet apart to wait. I picked up one of my favorite pineapples, but I think I like stopping at the farmers booth they have put up by the side of a road better. Since the 3 road booths are up all day there is usually no waiting and you have plenty of time to just look and see what you want.
Sounds wonderful! Snorkelling, pineapple, farm produce - heaven. Am I envious, yes!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Next door teenager’s just begun practising her saxophone, and there’s a young trumpet player further along who’s struck up too. They’re good, but it’s hard to convince their parents that we enjoy hearing them. Keep playing young’uns

I'd be happy listening to that too! My parents used to apologise profusely to anyone who ever commented on my playing, instantly assuming everyone else found my practising as monotonous as they did.

Reactions: Antje77