Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Some little ***** has dug up some of the broad beans I planted, so I put some old netting over the veg bed, balanced on bits of stuff husband hadn’t already incinerated. I also planted out squash and tomato plants in places there are usually flowers. I think I’m just taking out an insurance against another C-19 spike (please don’t let that happen), and we moderate risk oldies being cooped up until there’s a vaccine.
How are the rest of you feeling as lockdown’s gently lifted?
@Fairygodmother I'm planting more veg than usual this year too, mainly more toms and beans!
As far as easing the lockdown is concerned, I think it's too early. I certainly wouldn't want to travel, don't want to go clothes shopping but would like a hair cut.
I hope @MeiChanski is OK too

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, 6.8 waking, the young un's mum is working today so I've the young un coming, no need to think about ladders :p but I'll be filling and sanding again in what feels like my own personal groundhog day :banghead: and I've just remembered I need to put a script in for needles and Libres last week :)

On a bright note last night's rain may have left some mud on my cycle routes so I'll have a ride and check it out once the little un goes back to mum this aft...

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, bgs behaving here, went and got a click & collect grocery shop this morning then spent an hour and a half on the phone to a friend. No wonder time seems to evaporate right now!

Hope you're all well, your bgs are steady and that you have a good day

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @kev-w I wandered in to say hello and you reminded me I needed to do my repeat prescription! All sorted now. I've certainly been getting through Levemir faster at the moment but it's edging back down again as my walking amounts are going up now I can get out more than once a day, and the interesting first-time experience of an exploding carbuncle has almost cleared up. Blimey, but I don't recommend that experience!! I've never been prone to boils, or even acne in my dim and distant teenage years, always been careful about personal cleanliness, been away from the generous germ-sharing students for weeks and almost every other human being so how that one happened is a complete mystery.

Been involved with more student support from a distance again this week. They have loved seeing and talking to us via video calls! (Two of them were very tearful to start with - but giggly by the end.) But, after an hour and a half each day on it, I feel like I've done a full day's work. I am so glad I don't have to work this way much but it's been much better for this very visual lot than regular phone calls have been, apparently, and since this was an approach we were eventually allowed to take, it seemed sensible to do so.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Unfortunately I was tested again and I’m still positive for the coronavirus. Symptoms seems to come in waves - on and off but today was quite bad. My manager told me to go to work so she can personally swab me, I don’t know why but she is risking herself to test me. It’s not like I have magic powers to tamper my own result to stay out of work. SSP isn’t doing much for me :(

I don’t know whether I am contagious or not, but I wouldn’t risk it. But I don’t think my GP would sign me off work for another 2 weeks.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s unbelievable @MeiChanski, I thought people who tested positive had to isolate for 14 days: surely if you’ve had another positive test then another 14 days should start the day the second test was taken. Do you have a copy of the second result that you can send an image of to your manager? Have you emailed your GP so you can get his response to an extended sick note in writing? Have you gone through the process of applying for another sick note?
I understand that this is hard to do when you’re feeling very unwell, but maybe your boyfriend could help you if he’s still symptom free?
And I really hope that your waves of bad times with the virus gradually subside. It seems to affect people in a great variety of ways.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Mei, I hope it clears off swiftly for you. You shouldn’t have to be worrying about work at this time, just focusing on your health.

Our walks the last 2 days have been interesting, people round here seem to have interpreted the lockdown easing as licence to have giant family outings in any green space. Maybe they all live together but I think it’s unlikely.

I walked past a van with Kev’s Window Cleaning on the side earlier, are you operating in the London area @kev-w? Otherwise I was waving at some poor innocent bystander...

Diamonster has been a bit of a loose cannon - more nighttime hypos. Not sure what’s going on, maybe the heat isn’t helping though.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I walked past a van with Kev’s Window Cleaning on the side earlier, are you operating in the London area @kev-w? Otherwise I was waving at some poor innocent bystander...

:p Oops no I'm up north :) and mine has 'services' at the end :)

Made me chuckle tho :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends,

Unfortunately I was tested again and I’m still positive for the coronavirus. Symptoms seems to come in waves - on and off but today was quite bad. My manager told me to go to work so she can personally swab me, I don’t know why but she is risking herself to test me. It’s not like I have magic powers to tamper my own result to stay out of work. SSP isn’t doing much for me :(

I don’t know whether I am contagious or not, but I wouldn’t risk it. But I don’t think my GP would sign me off work for another 2 weeks.

Mei - If you have a second positive test, I doubt your GP would have much choice but to sign you off for the appropriate time-frame.

Please call your GP and discuss this with them. If they will not help, hopefully this information from my GP's website, regarding isolation notes. It has been there since before lockdown.

Frankly, it appears your manager is misguided. Not only is your manager apparently keen to risk her own wellbeing, but that of the vulnerable people you are all there to look after, and keep safe.

Maybe she hadn't really thought it through.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@MeiChanski. I would call your GP and tell them you are still having symptoms and the paperwork to say you are still testing positive and see what they say.

It would also be nuts and with a still positive test to go back to work and expose people and especially the most vulnerable.

Good to see you again and that you are hanging in there!

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski sorry to hear you're still feeling rough. Great advice from @Fairygodmother & @DCUKMod, please find a way to take that advice as your manager's suggestion just sounds absurd. Hope you feel better very soon (((hug)))

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry you're still having symptoms @MeiChanski, and work issues on top. Hope you can speak to your gp on the phone, as there's no way you should be at work until you're better, especially in a care home. Good to see you posting, sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care, look after yourself, and let us know how you get on.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@MeiChanski Get well soon. Your manager is a ????***!!!!! and I could call him/her a lot worse. I agree with everything everyone has said. Big hug

Reactions: hh1 and kev-w

Robonthego

Morning. Rest day so that means uni work. Struggling to study at home, really missing the university atmosphere and especially the library! Sitting on my bed makes it hard to get into the academic groove. Hey ho. I’ve been writing down recipes for my son to cook, he’s got really into baking bread.

Not much to report on the diabeetus front, time in range in the 92-95% range, Loop working well. New phone arriving today (hopefully) so I’ll need to build the pancreas app onto it, before I can switch to using it as my everyday phone.

Hey LooperCat, New to posting on this forum but been reading it for a while as I have attempted to set up my loop. All ready to go now. Having to use a miao miao on a Libre with Omnipod so have pulled Cal Young's Spike branch. I'm really annoyed that after some considerable pain getting "full spike" on my phone (was getting a error in spike resigner) it doesn't work with apple watch OS 6. Anybody solved this? Is the "pancreas app" you mention here the one that's been developed and rolled out by University of Cambridge at 70 quid a month? Does anyone have any experience with that. Looks to be quite prescriptive around what equipment you need in order to get entry. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've looked for forum etiquette but can't see anything. Sorry for all the questions - you seem to be in the know.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
It’s already warm. I’ll be waving the hose over the garden later. What’s the betting there’ll be a hosepipe ban in the next month or so. We’ve had floods, then plague, now some drought this year. Oh I forgot, there’ve been a few fires too. No locusts in the UK yet, do mice digging up the broad beans count? No, didn’t think they would. Well that’s a relief.
Hugs to all who need them from me too. Have as good a diaday as you can.
Hope you get the work problem sorted out today @MeiChanski! Hope too that you throw off Covid sooner rather than later!

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w