1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy your day hugs to all who need them

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother I'm planting more veg than usual this year too, mainly more toms and beans!
    As far as easing the lockdown is concerned, I think it's too early. I certainly wouldn't want to travel, don't want to go clothes shopping but would like a hair cut.
    I hope @MeiChanski is OK too

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Morning all, hope you’re all keeping well and sane x

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  5. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning, 6.8 waking, the young un's mum is working today so I've the young un coming, no need to think about ladders :p but I'll be filling and sanding again in what feels like my own personal groundhog day :banghead: and I've just remembered I need to put a script in for needles and Libres last week :)

On a bright note last night's rain may have left some mud on my cycle routes so I'll have a ride and check it out once the little un goes back to mum this aft...

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, bgs behaving here, went and got a click & collect grocery shop this morning then spent an hour and a half on the phone to a friend. No wonder time seems to evaporate right now!

Hope you're all well, your bgs are steady and that you have a good day

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Thank you @kev-w I wandered in to say hello and you reminded me I needed to do my repeat prescription! All sorted now. I've certainly been getting through Levemir faster at the moment but it's edging back down again as my walking amounts are going up now I can get out more than once a day, and the interesting first-time experience of an exploding carbuncle has almost cleared up. Blimey, but I don't recommend that experience!! I've never been prone to boils, or even acne in my dim and distant teenage years, always been careful about personal cleanliness, been away from the generous germ-sharing students for weeks and almost every other human being so how that one happened is a complete mystery.

Been involved with more student support from a distance again this week. They have loved seeing and talking to us via video calls! (Two of them were very tearful to start with - but giggly by the end.) But, after an hour and a half each day on it, I feel like I've done a full day's work. I am so glad I don't have to work this way much but it's been much better for this very visual lot than regular phone calls have been, apparently, and since this was an approach we were eventually allowed to take, it seemed sensible to do so.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

Unfortunately I was tested again and I’m still positive for the coronavirus. Symptoms seems to come in waves - on and off but today was quite bad. My manager told me to go to work so she can personally swab me, I don’t know why but she is risking herself to test me. It’s not like I have magic powers to tamper my own result to stay out of work. SSP isn’t doing much for me :(

I don’t know whether I am contagious or not, but I wouldn’t risk it. But I don’t think my GP would sign me off work for another 2 weeks.

• Hug Hug x 8
  9. Fairygodmother

It’s unbelievable @MeiChanski, I thought people who tested positive had to isolate for 14 days: surely if you’ve had another positive test then another 14 days should start the day the second test was taken. Do you have a copy of the second result that you can send an image of to your manager? Have you emailed your GP so you can get his response to an extended sick note in writing? Have you gone through the process of applying for another sick note?
    I understand that this is hard to do when you’re feeling very unwell, but maybe your boyfriend could help you if he’s still symptom free?
    And I really hope that your waves of bad times with the virus gradually subside. It seems to affect people in a great variety of ways.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. ArtemisBow

ArtemisBow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry Mei, I hope it clears off swiftly for you. You shouldn’t have to be worrying about work at this time, just focusing on your health.

Our walks the last 2 days have been interesting, people round here seem to have interpreted the lockdown easing as licence to have giant family outings in any green space. Maybe they all live together but I think it’s unlikely.

I walked past a van with Kev’s Window Cleaning on the side earlier, are you operating in the London area @kev-w? Otherwise I was waving at some poor innocent bystander...

Diamonster has been a bit of a loose cannon - more nighttime hypos. Not sure what’s going on, maybe the heat isn’t helping though.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

:p Oops no I'm up north :) and mine has 'services' at the end :)

Made me chuckle tho :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Mei - If you have a second positive test, I doubt your GP would have much choice but to sign you off for the appropriate time-frame.

Please call your GP and discuss this with them. If they will not help, hopefully this information from my GP's website, regarding isolation notes. It has been there since before lockdown.

Frankly, it appears your manager is misguided. Not only is your manager apparently keen to risk her own wellbeing, but that of the vulnerable people you are all there to look after, and keep safe.

Maybe she hadn't really thought it through.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@MeiChanski. I would call your GP and tell them you are still having symptoms and the paperwork to say you are still testing positive and see what they say.

It would also be nuts and with a still positive test to go back to work and expose people and especially the most vulnerable.

Good to see you again and that you are hanging in there!

• Agree Agree x 3
    #27573 Marie 2, May 19, 2020 at 10:42 PM
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  14. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@MeiChanski sorry to hear you're still feeling rough. Great advice from @Fairygodmother & @DCUKMod, please find a way to take that advice as your manager's suggestion just sounds absurd. Hope you feel better very soon (((hug)))

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Fairygodmother

16. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Really sorry you're still having symptoms @MeiChanski, and work issues on top. Hope you can speak to your gp on the phone, as there's no way you should be at work until you're better, especially in a care home. Good to see you posting, sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care, look after yourself, and let us know how you get on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@MeiChanski Get well soon. Your manager is a ????***!!!!! and I could call him/her a lot worse. I agree with everything everyone has said. Big hug

• Like Like x 2
  18. Robonthego

Robonthego · Newbie

Hey LooperCat, New to posting on this forum but been reading it for a while as I have attempted to set up my loop. All ready to go now. Having to use a miao miao on a Libre with Omnipod so have pulled Cal Young's Spike branch. I'm really annoyed that after some considerable pain getting "full spike" on my phone (was getting a error in spike resigner) it doesn't work with apple watch OS 6. Anybody solved this? Is the "pancreas app" you mention here the one that's been developed and rolled out by University of Cambridge at 70 quid a month? Does anyone have any experience with that. Looks to be quite prescriptive around what equipment you need in order to get entry. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've looked for forum etiquette but can't see anything. Sorry for all the questions - you seem to be in the know.

• Like Like x 1
  19. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

good morning everyone its going to be a scorcher today big hugs to mei and anyone else who needs one enjoy your day everyone :happy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Fairygodmother

Good morning Karen, good morning all.
    It’s already warm. I’ll be waving the hose over the garden later. What’s the betting there’ll be a hosepipe ban in the next month or so. We’ve had floods, then plague, now some drought this year. Oh I forgot, there’ve been a few fires too. No locusts in the UK yet, do mice digging up the broad beans count? No, didn’t think they would. Well that’s a relief.
    Hugs to all who need them from me too. Have as good a diaday as you can.
    Hope you get the work problem sorted out today @MeiChanski! Hope too that you throw off Covid sooner rather than later!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook