Tea raise

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Yea I just wanted to see if the pastry and bread really advanced it but happy to say it did not, quite happy with that number to be honest

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are obviously very lucky and can cope with grain and legumes, which are usually not for type twos.
If you can keep to fairly low carb, nothing extreme you should be OK judging by the numbers you have reported. Testing after meals a few times should be reassuring if you see numbers like those.

Reactions: Gricep

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
You are obviously very lucky and can cope with grain and legumes, which are usually not for type twos.
If you can keep to fairly low carb, nothing extreme you should be OK judging by the numbers you have reported. Testing after meals a few times should be reassuring if you see numbers like those.
Cheers, makes me feel better

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but I wouldn’t be thrilled with over 8 after 2 hrs but that’s just me. Sure it could be worse and if I ate what you did it would be. Not best please with anything over 7 post meal personally but I’m not new and have always been pretty strict.

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
It's not the worst start tho

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not the worst start tho
Quite. I hit 20's after bread myself, so yeah, it could certainly be a whole lot worse! See what I mean with testing being motivational? Sometimes the meter has good news. Could it be better? Yeah. But it wouldn't take more than a few little tweaks to get there. Keep in mind that if you do keep eating carbs, the numbers will keep getting higher (as diabetes is progressive unless stopped in its tracks). But right now...? To start with? Your numbers aren't anywhere near as bad as they could be. That bodes well for the immediate and long term future. :)

Reactions: HSSS

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Quite. I hit 20's after bread myself, so yeah, it could certainly be a whole lot worse! See what I mean with testing being motivational? Sometimes the meter has good news. Could it be better? Yeah. But it wouldn't take more than a few little tweaks to get there. Keep in mind that if you do keep eating carbs, the numbers will keep getting higher (as diabetes is progressive unless stopped in its tracks). But right now...? To start with? Your numbers aren't anywhere near as bad as they could be. That bodes well for the immediate and long term future. :)
Yes you were correct, I feel much better today.......thank you so much

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that once I started to see below 8 my numbers sank steadily downwards as it must have stopped hammering my metabolism and allowed restoration of normality.
Soon I was seeing under 7, then under 6 - so I was approving the direction of travel more than the actual numbers.
The foods eaten, I could not contemplate, but that is good too, most optimistic.

Reactions: Gricep

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Quick update, 7.9 on waking 6.5 2 hours after breakfast

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi my bloods on waking this morning was 7.5 then after 2 cups of white tea with sweeteners in went to 8.5....is this normal ?
If I have a cup of tea - any time of day - with semi skimmed milk (and Without any sugar or sweetener), my blood glucose also goes up significantly.
I think it is the milk. After all, there is the type of sugar called LACTOSE in milk....? That will be what is making your blood glucose rise.
Not the sweetener, not so much your liver (though of course in the morning that might well contribute to any rise of BG), but the milk you put in your cup of tea!

To combat this, you could replace cow's milk with for example, unsweetened, almond milk which has no carbs at all, but has other nutritious stuff, and this will prevent such a high rise.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I found that once I started to see below 8 my numbers sank steadily downwards as it must have stopped hammering my metabolism and allowed restoration of normality.
Soon I was seeing under 7, then under 6 - so I was approving the direction of travel more than the actual numbers.
The foods eaten, I could not contemplate, but that is good too, most optimistic.

Very good Resurgam. Well Done!

oompaloompa

I'd take a look into the effective of caffeine on blood sugar too. For coffee especially, if I don't give ever so slightly more insulin my blood sugar can sometimes spike or go high. But I'd discuss this with your dietician if you have access to one :)

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
If I have a cup of tea - any time of day - with semi skimmed milk (and Without any sugar or sweetener), my blood glucose also goes up significantly.
I think it is the milk. After all, there is the type of sugar called LACTOSE in milk....? That will be what is making your blood glucose rise.
Not the sweetener, not so much your liver (though of course in the morning that might well contribute to any rise of BG), but the milk you put in your cup of tea!

To combat this, you could replace cow's milk with for example, unsweetened, almond milk which has no carbs at all, but has other nutritious stuff, and this will prevent such a high rise.
There is also the option of using lactofree milk.

Reactions: BringBackTheMcRib

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None of us know how high we went pre-diagnosis as we weren't pricking our fingers back then.
My fasting was 7.5 around diagnosis so not far from where you are now.
After 12 months of low carbing & losing 5 stone I'm now in the low 4's fasting & I'll be back in the 4's 2 hours after eating a sandwich.
Potential for progress here is massive, it's all in your hands.

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone find having a shower can raise BGL's? For example, I can get up, test my blood (which may read as 5.8). I then go into the shower and if I were to check it afterwards, it can have risen to 8.2!! All without having had anything to eat or drink

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone find having a shower can raise BGL's? For example, I can get up, test my blood (which may read as 5.8). I then go into the shower and if I were to check it afterwards, it can have risen to 8.2!! All without having had anything to eat or drink
Doe sit happen at all times of day or just in the morning. Investigate dawn phenomenon or foot on floor phenomenon. It might not be the shower.

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doe sit happen at all times of day or just in the morning. Investigate dawn phenomenon or foot on floor phenomenon. It might not be the shower.
Yes, different times of the day. I'd already considered the dawn phenomenon Just wondering if my body is reacting to the heat? Maybe need to start having cold showers!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, different times of the day. I'd already considered the dawn phenomenon Just wondering if my body is reacting to the heat? Maybe need to start having cold showers!
I’ve definitely heard people say a hot shower/bath effects numbers. Some higher some lower. Same as weather/air temps can have an effect.

Reactions: LindiePops