COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so how would a 70 year old type 1 diabetic, with quite a few high readings, also with obesity, and hypertension stage 2 cope with the illness, would I get better or could it be the worse case scenario

It depends on a multitude of factors.. mainly where you live as you may well not come into contact with anyone who has it.
You are female which is a bonus
As for your various co morbidities its impossible to say but remember that even the most seriously ill about 85% recover so...
Get some Vit D out in the sun and stop worrying?

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so how would a 70 year old type 1 diabetic, with quite a few high readings, also with obesity, and hypertension stage 2 cope with the illness, would I get better or could it be the worse case scenario
nobody knows, as there is a huge variation in how seriously ill, or not, someone gets from this, regardless of their state of health beforehand.

Reactions: HSSS

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a standard text message from my surgery this morning. Tempted to sign up to see what is being advised. The web address will likely lead some lucky people to the forum as it’s not far removed from the address of this site:

‘This message is to let you know of the various free Diabetes educational and motivation opportunities to stay healthy, especially during this current COVID-19 crisis. For your safety and convenience all courses are done online and via phone. You may be offered a 1-1 dietitian, personalised plans, get sent a fitness tracker and/or scales. You can also ask questions directly from the experts in Diabetes. If you are interested, you can self-refer. Visit diabetesbooking.co.uk or call xxx xxxx xxxx and they can talk you through the available programmes to suit your needs.’

A quick glance at the website shows separate info for type 1 and type 2, and some (cautious) mention of keto/low carb.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent interview with Dr. John Campbell on the significant difference wearing a mask can make when we leave our homes...

Nichola211

Hey I was told a few months ago I was type 1 diabetic, I had a hbc1 of 64 and I’m asthmatic. Should I be worried about going back to work and my kids going back to school? If work make me go back can I say no? I work in an office, what do you guys think?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey I was told a few months ago I was type 1 diabetic, I had a hbc1 of 64 and I’m asthmatic. Should I be worried about going back to work and my kids going back to school? If work make me go back can I say no? I work in an office, what do you guys think?

On page 90, post #1797 of this thread, I shared the proactive steps our department took as we continued to work through COVID-19. I encourage you to go back and read it.

Other than three of us in our department becoming ill the first week in March - (may or may not have been a mild cases of COVID-19; we'll never know; and we didn't return to work until we were well) - we've had only one illness, and that person tested negative for COVID-19.

Each day I disinfect my computer and desk with wipes and keep a mask available to wear when away from my cubicle. We all wash our hands repeatedly throughout the day and practice 6 foot distancing.

COVID-19 will be with us for at least another year. Not working wasn't an option for me, so from the beginning I chose to continue working while at the same time taking steps to protect myself.

My husband and I eat a real, whole food diet - (no processed foods) - that could be best described as a low carb diet in the 50 to 75 carb a day range. I've always taken nutritional supplements. At minimum, I encourage our family and friends to take a good quality multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. In addition, we keep vitamin C in the powder form of ascorbic acid, or sodium ascorbate which is easier on the stomach, on hand to take if we become ill. I take a gram of vitamin C with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed. Is it preventative? I don't know. It just makes me feel better. Go to isom.ca to learn more about use of vitamin C. I also walk daily, strive to get good quality sleep, etc.

I wasn't taking my supplements for 6 months last year - (and paid for it dearly when I got the flu last November) - so am taking 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily to get my vitamin D levels back up.

But that's just me. We each have to find our own way through this.

Whether or not you have diabetes is far less important than what your current health status is. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition. While there's nothing you could have done to prevent it, there's lots you can do to maintain your good health going forward. Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and ask lots of questions on how to maintain your health and good control of your glucose levels. :)

Reactions: LucySW

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The devil on this is in the detail.

If you read the paper, being over 50 and having type 1 is a bigger risk factor than simply having type 1, and additionally, other co-morbidities play a large part, especially cardiovascular related ones.

If you're under 50, there haven't been enough deaths in hospital of people with type 1 to report accurately in the statistics.
There have been zero deaths for T1 under 50 in the reported data sample.

*** update: the actual number is small, but not zero, but has not been given in the table. thanks @Draco16

Last edited:

Jamie H

Not strictly true. Numbers for under 50s were extremely low and surpressed due to data protection. Point remains that risk for that age group, esp under 40s, is extremely low.
Screenshot_20200520_005135_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes (from paper 2,) there have been 22 deaths for T1 under 50, or 5.4% of the T1 deaths.

So...
under 50s make up 53.9% of T1's and account for 5.4% of the deaths.
over 50s make up 46.1% of T1's and account for 94.6% of the deaths

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting 4 minute video: "Elmhurst Hospital After the Coronavirus Surge: From Chaos to 'Scary Silence'", filmed in Queens of NYC by The New York Times...

Reactions: urbanracer

Jamie H

Yes (from paper 2,) there have been 22 deaths for T1 under 50, or 5.4% of the T1 deaths.

So...
under 50s make up 53.9% of T1's and account for 5.4% of the deaths.
over 50s make up 46.1% of T1's and account for 94.6% of the deaths
Yes I got to that number with subtracting the published data from the total on paper 2.. Also given the statement "risk if very low in under 40s" it must have been a very small number if it was decided not to publish it... Given that it was easy to get to the number of under 50s being 22.

Age seems again to be the biggest factor across the population but unfortunately this is magnified by the occurrence of diabetes. I think the CMO needs to rethink advice across the board for the higher risk groups. The lower risk still need to ensure complacency doesn't set in!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
LONG POST ALERT
COVID-19

I feel i should share my journey for info as a t2 diabetic who came through this. This seems the most appropriate thread.

I've just had it confirmed I have had (most probably) CV19.

Here is my social media post (just easier, hope this is ok):

I've just splashed out £69 for a home test for CV19. Its an antibody test which basically confirms whether you have had it in the PAST

I bought mine online. From Medichecks. Approved by Public Health England, PHE and the FDA. They send you a kit which includes a lancet (easy to get blood with one of these but better to run your fingers under warm water first) and a small test tube, plus clear instructions and a reply envelope. I posted it back Tuesday, got confirmation email of receipt yesterday and results today.

I HAVE TESTED POSITIVE.

I am sharing my journey for info. Many, like me, were extremely poorly towards the end of last year and early 2020. This might help others.

Here goes:

23rd November 2019
Eric (hubby) fell ill, fever, chills, cough, headache, aching muscles but NO RUNNY NOSE. Eric wasn't well for almost a week. But didn't need to seek medical assistance. Dosed up at home.

27th November
Phil my son fell ill with severe headache, aching body, felt so bad he was in bed for 2 days as he couldn't lift his head off the pillow. NO RUNNY NOSE

27th November

I fell ill. Never felt as bad in all my life. You know you're poorly when you get messages of concern from your son (never really seen me poorly).

Symptoms
Fever
Persistent cough (my post on fb actually say 'a cough that would kill a horse'
Wheezy as! (Post says 'like I smoke 100 a day)
Headache (which I never get)
Nausea
Lack of appetite (lost 5lbs)
NO RUNNY NOSE

1st DECEMBER

I seemed to start to feel a little better when I was hit by a 2nd wave on 1st Dec. I was due to go to my friend's special birthday but could not get warm and stayed lying on the floor in front of the gas fire feeling gutted. STILL COUGHING

3rd DECEMBER
Started to feel a little better. We had tickets for Les Mis at the Cinema (live streaming) and I almost gave them away because I was coughing so much and didn't want it to effect others enjoyment. But i went and actually posted:

'Thought it wouldnt be fair on people who paid a lot of money. They didnt pay that to hear me coughing. But no, I wasnt on my own, there was a whole choir of us coughing in perfect harmony'

8th DECEMBER
Due to see Retake That (tribute act to take that) . Eric had booked us in at Bella Italia for pre dinner in the hope i would eat something. NOTHING (waitress kindly boxed it up for me to take home for Phil who was by then fully recovered). Just wanted to go home. Feeling so poorly.

My post

'Home, settee, cough cough cough.
Rang Dr at 8am. Got cancellation apptment at 10! New dr. I was his 1st pt. Straight from hospital.

Never one to miss an opportunity I took him in an armful of info, inspirational stories, etc etc etc. Dr Unwin NICE ENDORSED guidelines. His Twitter link. Confirmed 73rd patient in remission saved £57k etc etc. New Dr so had 30 mins to do my thing in between his checks! Anyway I have a bacterial chest infection and am on antibiotics. Wheezy as. Got to go back if no improvement. I just want my appetite back. Funny nauseous feeling at the mo. So many dropping like flies in this area. 15 of Ammas (daughter) pupils off with norovirus!'

The antibiotics didn't work for my 'chest infection' and I almost went back. But it was improving.

I was still coughing up to late March. I would like an xray as I suspect some sort of scarring.

This virus knocked the wind out of my sails. I have an ongoing complaint case with Diabetes.org.uk as they give shocking advice out to diabetics and it needs to stop. I didn't have the energy to pursue this (not like me) and as such placed it on the back burner. That said it has become very apparent that COVID-19 targets metabolic syndrome, i.e. diabetes, obesity, blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and the health Secretary Matt Hancock is in talks with a group of top cardiologists including esteemed Dr Aseem Malhotra, who advocate low carb for improving metabolic health, so with any luck the official guidelines will be changing to something that actually benefits health, and not just for diabetics. That eatwell plate needs smashing up!

HOW DO I FEEL
I feel relieved to have had my suspicions confirmed. Hopefully won't be needing a ventilator any time soon! I won't feel as threatened with people breathing down my neck in the supermarket either! That said I know that this isn't a guaranteed that I won't get it again.

I also feel that me losing 4 stone (no longer overweight) and being well in control of my blood sugars (my blood sugar levels are lower than my non diabetic husbands) and my BP and cholestrol being optimal now may just have saved my life. So i also feel very lucky!

Hubby may just have benefited by losing almost 2 stone too!

Added some pics if anyone is interested in low carb way of eating.

Diabetes.co.uk is an excellent site with wonderfully helpful forum members

Diet doctor is amazing

https://phcuk.org/sugar/

For info

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/french-army-returned-wuhan-military-21988912

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200523-101936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200523-101936_Chrome.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_20200523-144955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200523-144955_Chrome.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 358

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought this UK study App is interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52770313

mainly because it covers symptomatic ppl who aren’t bad enough to need medical attention - rather than the official figs which are more to do with hospitalisations, test results and deaths.

data collected by the symptom-tracking app suggests the disease has a wide range of symptoms. Fatigue, shortness of breath, diarrhoea, delirium, skipped meals, abdominal pain, chest pain and a hoarse voice were all associated with the virus.

But the strongest warning signs of infection are a loss of taste or smell, according to findings from the team, published in the journal Nature Medicine. These symptoms were added to the UK's list of those that people should self-isolate with on Monday, several weeks after Prof Spector and other experts had called for the guidance to be changed.

The KCL scientists have also noticed there are patterns in the different symptoms people with Covid-19 have, which they think form six distinct groups. They hope soon to be able to predict how the disease will progress in a person, based on the symptoms they have on the first day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Good advise from Leunig for those coming out of Iso, now that the rules are being relaxed a bit...

welcome-back.jpg

Reactions: Bill_St

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez thank you for sharing your story and test result. So interesting.

I was talking with some friends a few days ago, and they, like me, had the "flu" in November. They both went in to have the antibody test done, but it came back negative. For a variety of reasons, they think something went wrong and they're considering having the tests done again. I want to have the test too, but am going to wait until we know which test is the most accurate.

Recently, I came across some information that there was an unusual change in activity in the area surrounding the Wuhan P4 lab between October 7 - 24, and that it's thought a hazardous event occurred between October 6 - 11 there. Months ago, I read it's believed COVID-19 began circulating in California in November and December, which may have been related to the Tesla plant there (and in China). And, of course, Washington state was the first epicenter in the US. I hope one day we'll have a better understanding of what actually happened.

Reactions: Debandez

Jamie H

Wouldn't read too much into sensationalist headlines from any newspaper during this pandemic.

I think If sheilding for diabetics does become policy it certainly won't be a blanket policy. The article itself has a quote from someone in diabetes UK saying the data shows a one size fits all approach isn't the way to go.

"It’s important to remember that everyone with diabetes is different, so a blanket ask of shielding for everyone with diabetes is unlikely to be appropriate"