1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bill_St, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I was more referring to his hysterical "modelling" than his bedroom antics..

2. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Sounds like Boris and the pole dancer. ;)
    I didn't realise Ferguson strutted his stuff on the catwalk. :)

3. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, we’re at 60,000 excess deaths from only 7% of the population having had it so far (and no overwhelmed NHS) given our quasi lockdown.

His model of 500,000 deaths from 80% of the population getting it (and overwhelming NHS critical care beds) with no lockdown does now look a little light, I agree.

Hopefully we get track and trace working, therapeutics are found, even a vaccine, and we keep deaths into the low hundreds of thousands from here.

4. bulkbiker

I think you'll find that most of the people at extreme danger of death have died.

I'll be watching the death stats from the ONS closely for the rest of the year to see if overall deaths go down after this.
    Sending the elderly and infirm back to care homes from hospital caused a lot of the "excess" deaths.
    The fudging of death certs to show COVID as a cause is a national disgrace and will taint the stats for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems that the notion that 80% of the population will get it was over-cautious.

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Those who have not caught the virus because they have been shielding, isolating or just lucky are still at the same high risk of dying as they were before.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. bulkbiker

Not really as the number of those who are infectious is reducing daily so less chance of getting it wouldn't you say?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mr_Pot

Maybe less chance of getting it but still at the same risk if they do. About 12,000 have died in care homes in the UK but that leaves another 400,000 or so in care homes who could still be at risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. lindisfel

There is one notable exception who my wife and I have a lot of respect for.
    Professor van tam, I would describe him as, a Daniel in the yes mens den.
    D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bulkbiker

Although I'd be far more interested in the number who have been infected and not died.. woudln't you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m interested in all the numbers - especially the ones before people grab them and then lay interpretation after interpretation on them just to further their own agenda - and it will be years before the mists clear on the real numbers, if they ever do.

I’m particularly concerned about countries like India, Brazil and Chile.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. lindisfel

I am also concerned about the UK, it certainly seems that the way things are being relaxed and the amount of virus there is in our country, the virus will take off again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #1912 lindisfel, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  13. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

14. bulkbiker

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

16. bulkbiker

It only helps those on ventilators though.. maybe implying that putting COVID patients on ventilators might not be either beneficial or necessary...

17. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

From the article; "It's only suitable for people who are already in hospital and receiving oxygen or mechanical ventilation - the most unwell." I read that to be basically the drug helps those most unwell (ventilation not being a factor, just something they are on because they are so unwell). It doesn't really make it clear though if it helps those which are-kinda-unwell-but-not-enough-for-a-ventilator :) It would be interesting to know.

18. Mr_Pot

The article says....
    According to the scientists who carried out the trials, one in three deaths could be prevented among patients on ventilators.
    For patients on oxygen, it could prevent one death in five.
    There was no significant benefit for patients who were not receiving respiratory support.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Lupf

Lupf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The daily press conferences of the UK government are a disgrace

Richard Horton, editor-in-chief of The Lancet, ... “It’s a betrayal of science,” he says. “It’s a betrayal of science’s responsibility to the public. It’s actually an abuse of power.” He is incensed by the two scientists standing like altar boys and girls either side of the hapless minister du jour. “They’re supposed to be giving independent advice to the government. But they don’t give independent advice.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...nd-controversies-08k37zv27#Echobox=1591374162

• Like Like x 1
  20. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I actually find it pretty funny that Richard Horton is pontificating about "betrayals of science" given the Lancet's track record over the past few years :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook