What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 today coming from spending time with our beautiful grandchildren. Sleep over. Lots of cuddles. And Eurovision the story of Firesaga (Netflix). Highly recommended.

Happy Sunday to all.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 today coming from spending time with our beautiful grandchildren. Sleep over. Lots of cuddles. And Eurovision the story of Firesaga (Netflix). Highly recommended.

Happy Sunday to all.
Woah. Where did my Saturday go?:angelic:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
5.0 this morning. Higher and safer after eating dinner last night. Don't like waking to low 4's. Have a great day.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning. Higher and safer after eating dinner last night. Don't like waking to low 4's. Have a great day.
Nice start to the weekend for you. Must be a nightmare for T1 trying to balance insulin, food and exercise. Your morning numbers and latest A1c suggest you do this well. Like the way you roll fwiw.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.5 today. I confess I had an extra long lie in this morning and arose at 10am. Is it normal to have such a dip? It's not like I missed breakfast because I don't normally eat until lunchtime.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3.5 today. I confess I had an extra long lie in this morning and arose at 10am. Is it normal to have such a dip? It's not like I missed breakfast because I don't normally eat until lunchtime.
Scroll back through this thread and you will soon realise normal is so last year. Roller coaster is the new way for you young 'un.

Reactions: MrsA2

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

It's a lovely normal blood sugar reading. Well done.

Physiologically, as you're not on insulin or sulphonylureas, it's likely to be 3.9 mmol/L or higher due to the meter accuracy being at least plus or minus 0.5 mmol/L. (Unless you've just collapsed at the end of a marathon.)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's a lovely normal blood sugar reading. Well done.

Physiologically, as you're not on insulin or sulphonylureas, it's likely to be 3.9 mmol/L or higher due to the meter accuracy being at least plus or minus 0.5 mmol/L. (Unless you've just collapsed at the end of a marathon.)
Don't forget the 15% can be either way so it could equally have been as low as 2.975 and as 3.9 or below can be defined as hypoglycemic it depends on how you feel if you feel OK then that's probably alright I for one don't feel well at that level and would probably treat it as a hypo and have some carbs to bring it back up but I tend to spend a lot of time on that roller coaster @ianpspurs mentioned.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Don't forget the 15% can be either way so it could equally have been as low as 2.975 and as 3.9 or below can be defined as hypoglycemic it depends on how you feel if you feel OK then that's probably alright I for one don't feel well at that level and would probably treat it as a hypo and have some carbs to bring it back up but I tend to spend a lot of time on that roller coaster @ianpspurs mentioned.
Only if you're on insulin or sulphonylureas. Homeostasis is maintained in a normal person at 3.9 or above by a glucagon response.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Only if you're on insulin or sulphonylureas. Homeostasis is maintained in a normal person at 3.9 or above by a glucagon response.

I am on neither and have been as low as 2.2 3.9 or lower is the level which hypoglycemia is diagnosed medically and that is not my opinion it is the medical professions

" Hypoglycemia is detected by measuring blood sugar levels with a glucose meter. Any blood glucose level below 4.0 mmol/L indicates that the individual has hypoglycemia. Urine tests do not detect hypoglycemia"

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html#:~:text=Hypoglycemia is when blood glucose,type of tablets called sulfonylureas.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I am on neither and have been as low as 2.2 3.9 or lower is the level which hypoglycemia is diagnosed medically and that is not my opinion it is the medical professions

" Hypoglycemia is detected by measuring blood sugar levels with a glucose meter. Any blood glucose level below 4.0 mmol/L indicates that the individual has hypoglycemia. Urine tests do not detect hypoglycemia"

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html#:~:text=Hypoglycemia is when blood glucose,type of tablets called sulfonylureas.
Your profile says T3E drug-induced? There are other reasons for no glucagon response. It's still rare.

This is a good article outlining other rare causes of hypoglycemia (blood sugars below 3.9) without insulin such as medications for kidney failure, excessive alcohol drinking without eating, some critical illnesses such as severe hepatitis, long term anorexia nervosa, rare tumour of the pancreas, pituitary tumour disorders.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypoglycemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373685
I was guessing not the average person posting here. More likely to be a glucometer meter accuracy range.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A good plan, I agree.
Now I know why Cadfael never mentions the drink even for medicinal purposes.
Is Burnley back in the Premier League this season I wonder? I noticed Sheffield United playing today. Stands looked empty.
I wonder how Benedictine would affect my blood sugars?
Burnley are in the Premier League and stands are empty due to covid.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
H
Your profile says T3E drug-induced? There are other reasons for no glucagon response. It's still rare.

This is a good article outlining other rare causes of hypoglycemia (blood sugars below 3.9) without insulin such as medications for kidney failure, excessive alcohol drinking without eating, some critical illnesses such as severe hepatitis, long term anorexia nervosa, rare tumour of the pancreas, pituitary tumour disorders.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypoglycemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373685
I was guessing not the average person posting here. More likely to be a glucometer meter accuracy range.
hypoglycemia ie blood sugars less than 4.0 is hypoglycemia no matter how you got there or how you feel about it and should not be ignored and a guess is just that a guess when advising people I find it best not to go by assumptions but to give them what are to my best knowledge the facts and then let them decide for themselves their best course of action if I were to wake to a level of 3.5 what I would do and recently have done is to have a small amount of carbs then check my bloods again after a suitable time to ensure they have come up above 4.0 but I do know that someone with RH may tackle it differently in order to avoid the roller coaster ride.

It is always the individual's prerogative to do what they feel is best for them but based on a proper and informed understanding .