What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@SlimLizzy sorry you’re having such a rough time.
@maglil55 agree on Jack Charlton and sorry about your ex works do.

Am totally exhausted after a 22.9 mile circular walk along the Birmingham Mainline, Walsall, Tame Valley and Birmingham and Fazeley canals today. Very enjoyable but can now barely walk! Feet up in hotel with 2 cold drinks.

Luckily decided to eat breakfast - bit of an odd one. Finished off the small pot of clotted cream I’d bought and also ate 2 leftover Nando’s chicken wings.

On arrival back in Birmingham headed straight to Hotel Chocolat for one of their chocolate ice lollies. Very slightly lower carb count than Lindt 85% and delicious!

Dinner was more Nando’s chicken wings with Halloumi.

More relaxed morning planned for tomorrow before heading home late afternoon.

To completely exhaust we terminally lazy sorts, how many miles have you walked on your little break away? I might need a lie down when I've read it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke with a stomach pain today so just peppermint tea for breakfast.
Feeling more settled by lunchtime so had egg mayo in LoDough with added peppers and spring onions. 1 x 30g bar Sainsbury’s taste the difference 85% chocolate (4g carbs)
Dinner was Ropa Vieja an instant pot spicy beef stew. Roast veg with it and strawberries and clotted cream afterwards.

Love the new avatar @shelley262 How do you make your mushroom sauce? Is it just fried mushrooms with a dollop of cream added, or something more intricate?
@Brunneria I wish I’d seen your off road adventure to rescue your little pal. He must have been so happy to see you whizzing towards him.
Hi I fry steak in pan and put to rest then put about 1oz of butter in the pan with meat juices add sliced mushrooms and sear then add doublecream and lots of pepper. Just bubble and then keep warm while serve. It’s so easy to do. Hope your tummy carries on improving.

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Genius!

And completely off-topic, not even a food story to compensate because I haven't eaten anything since my evening meal:
@maglil55 , look what I found on the internet!
It's not only your grandson and myself loving capybara, this pretty much proves everybody loves capybara!
Hope your grandson will like this picture as much as I do :)

108847048_10221309883490936_2791942208969660001_o.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To completely exhaust we terminally lazy sorts, how many miles have you walked on your little break away? I might need a lie down when I've read it.

According to my pedometer, 65.6! Doubt it will go up by more than 5 with what is planned this morning.

Teaolat with cream to start the day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I fry steak in pan and put to rest then put about 1oz of butter in the pan with meat juices add sliced mushrooms and sear then add doublecream and lots of pepper. Just bubble and then keep warm while serve. It’s so easy to do. Hope your tummy carries on improving.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of cooking the mushrooms in the meat juice pan. Sounds delicious, I feel another steak coming in soon!

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my pedometer, 65.6! Doubt it will go up by more than 5 with what is planned this morning.

Teaolat with cream to start the day.

I could walk to the lockdown area and back, twice for those miles, but I don't think I will.

Today, I will be mainly digging and lifting some turf. "They" tell me, it's great for my core. "They" are playing golf.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Antje77 - lovely pictures - especially the one with the tortoises
@Goonergal - bloomin' 'eck!! It must cost you a fortune in trainers

Arghhhhh just trying to change the household joint bank account - the blurb made out its soooooo simple but we've filled in loads of forms both on line and paper ones and yet more forms and booklets arrived today (which are, apparently, imperative to read, from cover to cover). :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Breakfast: Omelette with a new carb free syrup - blueberry and lavender - it was lovely
Lunch: the usual bit of cheese - choice of Dolcelatte, Cheshire or Brie - not sure which one yet
Dinner: baked camembert with roasted cauliflower and broccoli to dip in it

No wine today - I've noticed that if I have more than one glass of wine of an evening I get a lower FBG the following morning but it doesn't last because my BG starts rising just before lunchtime. I think my liver has got a mind of its own!

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very abstemious (and repetitive!) yesterday, had a lot of painting to do so that cut down my opportunity to boredom-snack.

Breakfast (11g carbs): Coffee with milk, Flax and Cheddar crackers (which I made the night before) with some Cinco Lanzas cheese and a slice of my Rye and Barley sourdough

Lunch: (3g carbs) Flax and Cheddar crackers with some Cinco Lanzas cheese, Green olives stuffed with anchovies.

Dinner/snack: (6g carbs) Flax and Cheddar crackers with some Cinco Lanzas cheese, dry-roasted peanuts.

No wonder my waking test this morning was 4.3.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry just logged back in and noticed your reply This is how I make it.

HOW TO Make GHEE

Add unsalted butter into a heavy based pot and heat till melted when the butter starts to boil, turn down the heat it will bubble and hiss and you will notice foam forming on top but don't stir it just let it bubble away for about 10-15 minutes or until the foam disperses away and the browned milk solids settle to the bottom of pot. The butter will go to a nice golden colour and have a nutty smell. Remove from heat Let it cool a little, then strain through a fine-mesh strainer or a clean piece of cheesecloth into small glass jars and let cool.

Thanks annabell, that's really helpful and it looks easy enough. Will make sure I have enough butter in this week to do it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically wot I do, is pop a pan on to heat, chop an onion, stir in a 1/4 teasp curry paste, add salt and pepper, crack an egg over it, stir the egg through, and then sprinkle on gram flour, while stirring, til it forms a light batter. By then the pan is hot, so I lob the bhajis in, squash them flat, flip when crisp, and serve
No chick pea flour found. Too bad, because I wanted to eat this today. Felt cross enough by not getting my bhaji's to allow myself to sulk and not plan something else for tonight.
Which is pretty ridiculous, seeing as I'm a grown up (not too sure about the adult part though) and I live alone. So the only one not getting their meal when I refuse to cook because of not getting my way is me :banghead:.

It didn't help the cheap alarm clocks were out of stock as well. I accidently pushed the screen of my car clock too hard with my finger (there was a dirty spot) and then the whole clock was somewhere inside my dashboard. Instead of trying to retrieve and somehow re-attach it I thought to put ducttape over the hole to prevent things like pens and lighters disappearing in my dashboard as well, and simply superglue a cheap clock on top of my dashboard.

On the up side, I finally visited the Asian store in the nearest city and now own different kinds of exciting condiments, powdered spices, fresh hot peppers and hot sauces. And my mood has sufficiently lifted to surprise myself when I'll cook today :)
There are plenty of different veggies in my kitchen so dinner will happen, whatever it turns out to be!
Dinner: baked camembert with roasted cauliflower and broccoli to dip in it
Wish I'd read this before doing my shopping! Sounds like a very yummy and easy meal. I'll make this in the near future :hungry:
Thanks, I hadn’t thought of cooking the mushrooms in the meat juice pan. Sounds delicious, I feel another steak coming in soon!
Whenever I fry mushrooms I always add a few drops of Thai fish sauce instead of salt. You don't taste the fish but it really enhances the mushroom flavour!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I fry mushrooms I always add a few drops of Thai fish sauce instead of salt. You don't taste the fish but it really enhances the mushroom flavour!

Good tip thanks. I have an ancient bottle in the cupboard - not sure what Recipe I bought it for but I’ll be pleased to have a good use for it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good tip thanks. I have an ancient bottle in the cupboard - not sure what Recipe I bought it for but I’ll be pleased to have a good use for it.
And it's already fermented so it won't go off :)

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77
I believe chick pea flour is also known as gram flour, and is usually available in Asian shops.
It is still quite Carby though

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No chick pea flour found. Too bad, because I wanted to eat this today. Felt cross enough by not getting my bhaji's to allow myself to sulk and not plan something else for tonight.
Which is pretty ridiculous, seeing as I'm a grown up (not too sure about the adult part though) and I live alone. So the only one not getting their meal when I refuse to cook because of not getting my way is me :banghead:.

It didn't help the cheap alarm clocks were out of stock as well. I accidently pushed the screen of my car clock too hard with my finger (there was a dirty spot) and then the whole clock was somewhere inside my dashboard. Instead of trying to retrieve and somehow re-attach it I thought to put ducttape over the hole to prevent things like pens and lighters disappearing in my dashboard as well, and simply superglue a cheap clock on top of my dashboard.

On the up side, I finally visited the Asian store in the nearest city and now own different kinds of exciting condiments, powdered spices, fresh hot peppers and hot sauces. And my mood has sufficiently lifted to surprise myself when I'll cook today :)
There are plenty of different veggies in my kitchen so dinner will happen, whatever it turns out to be!

Wish I'd read this before doing my shopping! Sounds like a very yummy and easy meal. I'll make this in the near future :hungry:

whenever I have a sulky food tantrum like that (cough) it is because my bg is wavering (or plummeting) downwards... hope yours wasn’t!

Today:

B: bovril and collagen
L: kefir and lc hot choc
D: korma and the rest of the bhagi mix. Bhagis are as nice when the onions have been sitting in the fridge.

had a heartfelt convo with Mr B about all the choc he keeps ‘pushing’. Bless him. I know why - he has been dieting. So he has transferred his food pleasure into supplying me. I have asked him to stop, except for 2 diff types of choc, which I like, but don’t love.

will see what happens.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Safely home after a lovely break away. Left a cool/wet Brum and arrived in a warm/sunny London via one trip to Hotel Chocolat too many. Luckily the rain in Brum held off until after my timed visit to the botanical garden.

Lunch at Five Guys - bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and a schmear of mayonnaise followed by a bag of pork crunch as I was inexplicably still hungry.
Dinner was corned beef and cheese and a couple of pickled onions.

In between an entire bar of HC 70% hazelnut chocolate. Delicious but unnecessary.

@Chook I do spend a fortune on trainers, but can’t claim it’s due to need - if it was I’d be walking 110 miles a day :hilarious::D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77
I believe chick pea flour is also known as gram flour, and is usually available in Asian shops.
It is still quite Carby though
They didn't have it in the Asian shop where I was today, and they didn't have it in the supermarket. Supermarket employee looked it up and said he could order it for me, but only if I ordered 12 kilos :hilarious:

Around here it's called neither chick pea flour nor gram flour but kikkererwtenmeel :happy:. Which translates to frog-pea-flour.
whenever I have a sulky food tantrum like that (cough) it is because my bg is wavering (or plummeting) downwards... hope yours wasn’t!
Thanks for the concern, bg has been nice and stable most of the day, so I can't even blame my conniptions (learned a new word today so I have to try it out) to diabetes :oops:.

However it was dropping when I went to prepare my evening meal without a plan. Looks like hypo me craved mayonnaise, as I've added it as an afterthought to almost everything after preparing. No problem, I like mayonnaise even without a hypo :D.
I wanted something festive so I decided on devilled eggs with some of my new spices, cherry tomatoes with cheese, and a ready made serving of small shrimp in chilli oil I bought at 30% off today. That was before the hypo, so no idea why I didn't think this through.
Nothing wrong with devilled eggs, except my chickens lay very small eggs and they're impossible to peel. Filling the eggs with a spoon isn't easy either.

The hypo made me put extra mayonnaise on top of both the eggs and the tomatoes but thankfully not on the shrimps.
By that time I noticed something was off, so I finished putting a dollop of mayonnaise on every piece of egg and every piece of tomato first (Why? I should know how this diabetes thing works by now, right?) before dropping on the couch to treat a 3.5 and to drink a beer.
Will post a picture of my true surprise meal when it's time for dinner :)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made it through from 4pm yesterday to 1pm today. That's my first ever 21 hour fast. Was unintentional, just very full after lunch yesterday and stayed out of the kitchen until lunchtime today.
L Some cauliflower cheese bread reheated in a bit of olive oil, 6 olives, green salad , half a small avocado and some edamame dip (about a tablespoon) as dressing. 2 strawberries, tablespoon dc and tablespoon of milled seeds

D. Garden frittata of fresh picked courgettes, green beans, spinach softened in olive oil and butter than added eggs and sprinkle of cheese, finished under the grill. Small side salad. Very bright green!
Homemade ice lolly to finish... yogurt, dc and grated 90%

Just realised whole day was vegetarian. Unintentional but I did enjoy the variety and flavours

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m already overdue for my annual diabetic check but got a text today saying “ your notes have been reviewed and because your diabetes is stable, we have decided you do not require an appointment at this time - we will contact you to arrange your annual review in due course” ( as my last hbaca1 was 7 months ago how do they know that? I know it is as I test regularly but still think we should all get our blood tests as a basic to keep an eye on things - especially as we are not advised to test) will let you know when in due course is!
Had a few good deliveries today - a parcel from montezumas purchased with their world choc day discount including some of the new mint bars all 100%. Also we have a local community farm that has grass fed dexter cattle that we see often on our walks and the farm does meat a few times a year so love stocking freezer with it.
Omad today simply too busy but got lots done so a good positive day despite constant rain.
Dinner chilli chicken with Corriander and tomato salsa, avocado celery and walnut salad, and coleslaw followed by sf jelly and cream - just had a decaff coffee with a few squares of the new 100% mint choc wow in my opinion it’s delicious and like their standard absolute Black is 8g of carb per 100% but the mint oil makes it less bitter like the orange oil one. BUT an advantage is it’s still difficult for me to want more than a couple of squares.