What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(Basically wot I do, is pop a pan on to heat, chop an onion, stir in a 1/4 teasp curry paste, add salt and pepper, crack an egg over it, stir the egg through, and then sprinkle on gram flour, while stirring, til it forms a light batter. By then the pan is hot, so I lob the bhajis in, squash them flat, flip when crisp, and serve)
This is the kind of recipe I like, no need to see the video :)
Let's have a look if I can get chick pea flour around here!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I only ever have a dessert spoonful sprinkled over something else such as sugar free jelly and cream or Greek yoghurt. I never have it just as a bowl of cereal!
I do. :):greedy: with just a splash of milk. But there is a one third measuring cup that lives in the granola box and I use a very small bowl.

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
I just use full fat. Lots of people use cream (slightly fewer carbs) but I don't like the mouthfeel of it in coffee.
Great...I have been using full fat cream in my coffee as i love it...I hate it in tea though...do you think goats milk has fewer carbs...i'm learning...need less sugar...cheers...x

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
An odd sort of brunch as I was going to try to make it to lunch time but then ate a couple of small flat peaches that were left on the side (I can resist fruit in a fridge but not in a fruit bowl :wacky:) and thought I'd better have something else to offset them so ate a some olives, almonds and cheese that I had put together and taken out with me last night in case there wasnt anything suitable at an event we went to. So ended up being a weird but tasty and satisfying brunch.
Dinner was mussels in garlic butter. Now pre diabetes these would have been eaten with either crusty bread or chips or spaghetti so thought what could I have that could mop up all those lovely juices? Answer proved to be some celeriac mash from the freezer. Boy it was good.
A yen for something crunchy was filled by some grilled cheese with seeds, just a little bit and the whole lot finished with 1 sq 90% chocolate
So a day of odd bits that just seemed to hit the satisfying mark. Happy mouth, happy tummy and low bg too :)
I have been keto for 3 years and now i'm a veggie, learning a new way of eating as i give up meat...Brown bread or a roll is ok to mop up sauces...i love celeriac mash/chips...x

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@DJC3 Thank you for your sympathetic response. Yesterday was a bit better, but am still feeling distinctly fragile.

Breakfast: CWC, nut granola.
Lunch: lot of cherry tomatoes straight of the plants, not much else
Several, more than usual CWC
Dinner: scratched around in the fridge
Had a raw carrot.
Ham, eggs, fried cauliflower rice with a few chopped mixed peppers thrown in. Pile of runner beans. Guessing they are similar carb content to French beans at 3g /100g.
No wine, lot of coffee.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@SlimLizzy I think I would feel exactly the same if I were in your situation. *big hug* If there's anything I can do to help please let me know. Is there any news of Mr Slim returning yet?

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - chaffle, fried eggs, mushrooms and 100g baked beans
Lunch: probably not
Dinner: leftover salads from Saturday plus some houmous.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.8
About 10.30 - large dose of insulin. Tea and a chaffle with bacon.
BG at 2 pm - 13.1!
Tea and the first cup of coffee I've had in months.
I have some cold chicken out of the freezer for later. I suppose I should put some sort of salad with it. My large doses of insulin don't seem to be doing much good. We'll see what happens with the new one, when it comes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Missed several days again. Friday got some scallops and cod loin from the fish man so had a nice supper.
Yesterday had my usual slice HiLo toast, butter and tea.
Lunch was egg mayo with spring onion and lettuce.
Supper was chicken curry and cauli rice, broccoli florets that were left over.
Today my FBG was 6.8, the highest its ever been in two years.
I still had my HiLo toast and tea because sometimes that helps to bring it down a little but not today. I tested again at 1300 and it was 7.5 so I have just had a bit of ripe Brie and coffee.
This evening will be lamb chump chop and some cauliflower (leftover from blitzing the rest for Rice for the freezer). I just cannot fast and need something to eat 3 times a day and I really dont think there’s anything wrong with what I am eating. There is no chance of a treat of any sort atm.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
brunch - leftover omlette and mushrooms from yesterday.

Dinner - 4 chargrilled chicken strips and nandos piri piri garlic sauce with side salad and a dollop of coleslaw. SF jelly and large spoonful of extra thick cream.

Nice day and night here - all the washing out and dried again!

Propping myself up to go for a nice long walk around a reservoir and area with hubby which is not too far from where we live to walk dinner off.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - I hope by the time I get to the end of the posts you've perked up again. I'm not surprised you feel the way you do as it is a lot to deal with. Chin up. Hopefully it won't be long until Mr Slim is back. @Chook - you may get the compulsory masks soon but here it has caused all sorts of issues as you'll see from my previous post on the incredibly confused distancing rules. @Antje77 - nice looking salad.
Saturday - I had a quiet day in. BGs seem to be settling again. Bed 6.7 FBG 6.3. Sad to note the passing of Big Jack Charlton. I always thought of him as a straight talking individual.
B. LC toast and pate again.
L. Nothing
D. Mexican rubbed chicken tenders, small avocado, mini plum tomatoes, lettuce and helmans. 2 squares Lidls 95%. Oh slice of skinny bread and butter.
Our annual event with all my ex work colleagues and spouses is not looking promising. It was scheduled to be in Scotland this year and the hotel was all booked. We always go for a refundable rate though and sadly my friends have started to cancel. Talks of quarantine for English tourists and people at the boundaries abusing motorists is not helpful. I really can't blame them and I suspect we'll end up cancelling soon too. Shame because we really enjoy these events.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Planned a long walk this morning so had 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast, then walked for 2 hours.
Came back ravenous and fancying something savoury so while some keto cheese scones were in the oven had some lettuce with a nice new dip fro Lidl (edamame bean and ginger only 7.2g carb per 100) witha little cheese and coleslaw. Then ate too many scones and a piece of caulifower cheese bread. Finally felt full about 2 hours after starting.
But resolved now to miss dinner and if I can go though to tomorrow

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@SlimLizzy sorry you’re having such a rough time.
@maglil55 agree on Jack Charlton and sorry about your ex works do.

Am totally exhausted after a 22.9 mile circular walk along the Birmingham Mainline, Walsall, Tame Valley and Birmingham and Fazeley canals today. Very enjoyable but can now barely walk! Feet up in hotel with 2 cold drinks.

Luckily decided to eat breakfast - bit of an odd one. Finished off the small pot of clotted cream I’d bought and also ate 2 leftover Nando’s chicken wings.

On arrival back in Birmingham headed straight to Hotel Chocolat for one of their chocolate ice lollies. Very slightly lower carb count than Lindt 85% and delicious!

Dinner was more Nando’s chicken wings with Halloumi.

More relaxed morning planned for tomorrow before heading home late afternoon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful walk today - new avatar is me in local woods enjoying today’s picnic lunch!
Breakfast - new regime ( last few weeks) exercise routine then coffee with cream
Lunch picnic of two boiled eggs with salt and coffee with cream and two squares of 100% choc
Dinner steak, a few onions and tomatoes with halloumi fries and mushroom sauce with large glass of dry red wine followed by a few raspberries from garden with SF jelly and extra thick cream.
About to go out and water the garden - tomatoes especially looking dry - and then maybe a mindful walk I’ve got a busy day of caring tomorrow as eldest son has plumbing problem so being kind to myself today. A week today we will be in our air B and B in Wales celebrating our 45th Sapphire anniversary can’t wait.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hot garlic gambas from the oven with salad and the leftover end of the bread from yesterday given new life with a couple of minutes in the oven.

I'd never made gambas before (they came peeled and frozen raw) but I will again!
Next time they'll need a bit less oven time, as they were slightly rubbery. I might also go a bit easier on the chilli pepper and the garlic, eating gave me a runny nose and made me tear up, and I doubt anyone will like to be in my vicinity tomorrow :stop::hilarious:.

No problem, it still tasted delicious and now I know what I need to change to make it even better next time :).

The only thing is, it's unlikely I'll have a piece of leftover bread in the house next time. Thoughts on yummy alternatives for mopping up the garlic and chilli oil/butter?

109075739_10221308593058676_4775179996723914957_o.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab day here too.

lie in.
Dog walk (with scooter), hilariously livened by a mutt 1 drama.
Mr B and I split up, because the scooter has to stay on smooth paths, and the dog route was cross country (well, through the ‘wilderness’ bit of our local park). Pups 2&3 set off cheerfully, not even noticing that I had casually ‘fallen behind’. No 1 lagged with me, cos he’s a Mummy’s boy.
However, once he saw me moving in the right direction, he scampered off to catch up with the others, who were out of sight by this time.
Only he took the wrong path, and set off across the playing field, not down the wilderness path. Leaving me stuck at the end of the path.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
In the end, he came to a somewhat stressed halt in the middle of the field (remember, he is only 7 inches to the shoulder), looking around desperately for the Pack.
He could hear me, but (shortsighted) he couldn’t see me.
And I couldn’t walk to get him...

in the end, me and the scooter went ‘off road’ to fetch him.
It used up a lot of battery, but we made it to the other side. :hilarious: And reconnected with the rest of the Pack, and then spent the afternoon snoozing in the sun in the garden, to recover from the angst of separation.

B: lc hot choc
L: sirloin
S1: chunk of cheese and mango chutney
D: ribeye
S2: mint Lindt

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - now that the Godiva is finished I'm managing to restrict myself to 2 squares of Lidl's 85 or 90% when I have chocolate so that's progress. Trouble is restraint will go out the window when I see Godiva again. @Goonergal - I'll really miss the annual outing if everyone decides to cancel. It's incredibly sad for the struggling hospitality industry too when it hasn't even had the chance to open yet. Goodness knows how many will go out of business. We may just have to find somewhere to have a few days away. Maybe back to Chester again. We'll wait and see how it develops over the next few weeks.
Today - Sunday. Only ventured along the road. No 1 grandson had been sick during the night, had recovered but had a longing for some of Papa's soup. I did have lentil in the freezer so took that along. We decided on using food from the freezer for dinner too.
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.8 - much better.
B. Slice LC toast and butter and 2 scrambled eggs.
L. Nothing
D. Another part of the roast beef joint I got for £10 a few weeks ago. Slow roasted. Veggie chips, broad beans, green beans, GF yorkshire pudding and horseradish. 2 squares of Lidls 85%.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries, cream and LC vanilla and raspberry granola washed down with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar
Lunch: 1/2 an avocado with prawns and mayo followed by Greek yoghurt, peach chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: Lamb roasted with garlic and rosemary, one tiny roast potato and mixed veg with a tiny splash of gravy followed by SF jelly, cream and blackberries fresh from mum’s garden.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I'd love to see how you do it - the methods I've seen so far look a bit daunting.
Sorry just logged back in and noticed your reply This is how I make it.

HOW TO Make GHEE

Add unsalted butter into a heavy based pot and heat till melted when the butter starts to boil, turn down the heat it will bubble and hiss and you will notice foam forming on top but don't stir it just let it bubble away for about 10-15 minutes or until the foam disperses away and the browned milk solids settle to the bottom of pot. The butter will go to a nice golden colour and have a nutty smell. Remove from heat Let it cool a little, then strain through a fine-mesh strainer or a clean piece of cheesecloth into small glass jars and let cool.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke with a stomach pain today so just peppermint tea for breakfast.
Feeling more settled by lunchtime so had egg mayo in LoDough with added peppers and spring onions. 1 x 30g bar Sainsbury’s taste the difference 85% chocolate (4g carbs)
Dinner was Ropa Vieja an instant pot spicy beef stew. Roast veg with it and strawberries and clotted cream afterwards.

Love the new avatar @shelley262 How do you make your mushroom sauce? Is it just fried mushrooms with a dollop of cream added, or something more intricate?
@Brunneria I wish I’d seen your off road adventure to rescue your little pal. He must have been so happy to see you whizzing towards him.