What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have found these 2 products useful.
Black bean spaghetti (noodles). 2.7g carb per quarter of the box. I have been using these in Asian style dishes. They are delicious and look quite cheffy. £1.70 from Aldi in UK
Veggie Cakes. Made with pea and lentil protein and 4.7g carb per cake. Smell a bit funny but very tasty topped with her by cream cheese and some pesto or cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. £2.50 in Sainsbury.
Nice to have something different.

Looks interesting, must look that up online and see if I can get hold of some.

Just back from town - now have my front tooth again so I can talk and smile again. Also have some ox cheeks, lamb's hearts and a lamb's neck. Some slow cooking coming up.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not sure I can see too much relating to low carb eating in your post, @porl69 . I reckon by lunch, you're up at about 230-240gr carb?

Let's all be mindful the content we post is appropriate to the sub-forum and the thread itself.

Thanks.
Is this in the Low Carb part of the forum? I am on my phone and can only see "What have you eaten today". If it is I apologise

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this in the Low Carb part of the forum? I am on my phone and can only see "What have you eaten today". If it is I apologise

You got it in one.

upload_2020-7-24_18-57-41.png

Just to help you out, this is how you an tell on your phone:

upload_2020-7-24_19-5-41.png

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day and got out into garden to trim back stuff - lots grown while away! Also wonderful surprise delivery of anniversary flowers and prossecco- held back by giver until safely back from Wales so could enjoy them when home. A very fishy day today!
Lunch scrambled eggs with smoked salmon plus a few walnuts nibbled with coffee
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and celeriac chips with glass of dry white gavi wine followed by sf lemon jelly and cream. Just had 2 squares of 100% montezumas peppermint oil choc with decaff coffee.
@Annb know how it feels having front tooth back wonderful news

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The Spam slicer works very well on tinned corned beef. Haven't eaten tinned corned beef for a long time - not all that sure about it, it's pretty salty.

I am currently simmering sliced lambs' hearts to prepare them for frying in butter tomorrow. Also have lamb neck slow roasting, and ox cheeks, slow roasting in the oven. It's going to be a good week for meat!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee with white choc phd bar
Lunch: 1/2 avocado with prawns and mayo followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and a few strawberries.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee with milk, cracker with butter and goat's cheese, last bit of my oven dish, day 3. Reheated in the oven as it was warm anyway to prepare tomorrow's sailing lunch of celeriac, cheese and bacon.
Reheated VERY thouroughly, to minimize the chances of spending tomorrow in the bathroom instead of on a sailing boat, as the dish accidentally spent the first 24 hours at room temperature. Tasted fine though :)

Midnight snack will follow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 8.1 FBG 7.1 - fingers crossed, BGs improving? I was a bit "off" last night but OK today again. @Annb - I'm in the same boat. Early on in this illness all my gums became inflamed and I've not been able to refit my bridge since then. Like you I'm thankful for the mask . @Goonergal - we've had the parmesan wings twice this week. They really are tasty. Got the boys staying overnight tomorrow so won't have much time to myself.
B. TAG and a slice of LC bread with German sausage and coleslaw.
L. Nothing toddling around with son for his shopping.
D. Salmon fillet with avocado and tomato salad and some lettuce. Overcooked the salmon through not paying attention so was rather dry. Felt the need for a couple of squares of Godiva.

@annabell1 - glad to read your Mum is out of hospital.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
V: ff greek yoghurt with rhubarb and seeds
L. Cheese and seed grills. Some of last night cabbage and bean mixture
D burger and cheese (no bun) 2 glasses white wine 4 squares 90% lindt (should have only been 2 squares but the wine lowered my resistance!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t manage to post yesterday so before I forget..
Black coffee all morning.
Lunch: 2 air fried chicken thighs and a lump of smoked cheese. Followed by DGF blueberry and lemon drizzle cake with cream. ( no discernible spike, phew!)
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-casserole with spinach and a couple of glasses of wine.
Somewhere along the line 30g bar Montezuma’s black

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Spent the morning getting all the meat ready to go away in the freezer - had a few little bits of the lamb. I was cutting it in long slices off of the bone and there were a few small bits that fell off. Just crumbs, but it was enough to spoil my appetite so didn't actually have any breakfast. Just the usual tea.

Then I started to feel a bit hungry about 1.15 and decided I'd better use up the corned beef from yesterday, so I had the 4 remaining slices of that. Now feeling pretty full again.

I'll keep the lamb's hearts out and fry them later with some mushrooms and onions - presumably will be able to eat them by then, although there's rather a lot so some will be left over and have to be put away either in the fridge or the freezer. The rest of the meat is portioned up and will have to go away in the freezer - a bit more space in there now. There was still quite a bit of meat left on the lamb's neck so it's now making roasted lamb stock - I added the cooking liquid from the hearts to the water, veg and bone. I'm actually not fond of the Scots tradition that I was taught by my mother-in-law of boiling a piece of lamb to make broth and then serving it as a main course, after the scotch broth. Boiled lamb does nothing for me.

I forgot to mention a day or so ago that when the diabetic nurse called back she said that my HBa1c was not as bad as I had suggested - it was only 67. That's up a fair bit so when I asked her to check what it had been she realised that that was up from 53 the last time, so not as good as she had thought. FBG this morning was 10.9, not as good as the previous 2 days on the new insulin.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had a bit of excitement yesterday when, just before dinner, i started feeling a bit weird - eventually tested and I was at 3.4!!!! I have no idea why or how - my BGs have been high for so long that I didn't recognise the wobbly hypo feeling.

Lovely morning shopping today-- got the collagen tablets I've been meaning to experiment with - and a load of meat for Mr C and jars of butter beans and cannellini beans at Market Asia. Their rib steaks are still only £6.99 per kilo. They've started doing a really delicious looking range of pre-cooked dishes (cooked on the premises by possibly the tiniest little old lady that I've ever seen) that are bought by weight. Lots of people were buying them so next time we go there I'll definitely try them out.

Everyone was wearing masks except for one man in Sainsbury's who was getting glared at by everyone else.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: two of Mr C's chips with mushy peas and a bottle of water
Dinner: Oumph (which is a spicy vegetarian protein that tastes like donner kebab) with a vegetable bake made with only veggies from the garden - french beans, sugar snaps, courgettes, tomatoes, fennel, chard and lots of herbs
Pudding will be raspberries

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I have a quick question - did you say that belly pork strips cooked in IP then frozen, could be zapped in the airfryer from frozen to crispness?
I have a joint of belly pork in the oven atm but I don’t think it’ll be big enough for everyone so I may need to pad it out with the strips I have in the freezer. Thanks

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Dinner grilled barramundi and chopped up some iceberg lettuce with half tomato tossed in my garlic lemon EVO dressing also made some chips. The stress of hearing about mum made me want to eat icecream and succumbed to it by driving to the shops to buy some. Normally I deal with it but after s constant body stressed I craved in and brought Sara lee strawberries icecream I got home had two scoops needless to say it was sickly sweet.

BSL was 5.8mmol/L before brunch today and had paleo granola with coco quench and black coffee. Dinner had some leftover baked pumbkin I cooked 2 days ago so made some pumpkin soup with homemade chicken stock/broth served with a dollop osour cream and slice of olive sourdough toast with butter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I have a quick question - did you say that belly pork strips cooked in IP then frozen, could be zapped in the airfryer from frozen to crispness?
I have a joint of belly pork in the oven atm but I don’t think it’ll be big enough for everyone so I may need to pad it out with the strips I have in the freezer. Thanks

yes.
I pull them out of the freezer, tip them straight into the airfryer, and wait til crispy.

two things worth remembering though - it must be strips, not a full sized slab, and secondly, they need to have been frozen apart. If they are stuck together in the freezer, then they would need defrosting before airfrying.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes.
I pull them out of the freezer, tip them straight into the airfryer, and wait til crispy.

two things worth remembering though - it must be strips, not a full sized slab, and secondly, they need to have been frozen apart. If they are stuck together in the freezer, then they would need defrosting before airfrying.

Perfect thank you. Mine tick both those boxes so I’m feeling very relieved. We’d have had to fill up on cabbage otherwise!

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 crispy pork belly strips vs cabbage. No contest!

Meaty day here too. Was aiming for OMAD but ravenous by midday so got the leftover mackerel pate out of the fridge. Must have been there a bit too long as it wasn’t nearly as good. Ditched in favour of a bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling.

Dinner was slow cooked lamb shoulder topped with butter, garlic, rosemary and lemon slices. Delicious. Lemon and garlic came through very strongly. Yum!

2EEFBA13-0292-4998-99D8-8574DAAF5C27.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 crispy pork belly strips vs cabbage. No contest!

Meaty day here too. Was aiming for OMAD but ravenous by midday so got the leftover mackerel pate out of the fridge. Must have been there a bit too long as it wasn’t nearly as good. Ditched in favour of a bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling.

Dinner was slow cooked lamb shoulder topped with butter, garlic, rosemary and lemon slices. Delicious. Lemon and garlic came through very strongly. Yum!

View attachment 42897

Haha no, cabbage doesn’t sound quite so appealing does it?
That lamb looks gorgeous.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to report yesterday's minced meat dish hasn't given me any untoward effects, despite spending way too much time at room temperature :)
I should have gone sailing with the family of my cousin who are spending their holiday in my vicinity but it was too windy.
So instead we had a very nice board game afternoon and also cleaned the terrarium of the 44 year old water turtle living in the house where my family stays. A right adventure, as none of us had any previous experience with turtles and we were supposed to supervise it when it had it's time out in the garden while it's terrarium was being cleaned. It has an impressive looking sharp beak and it hissed (angrily?) whenever we touched it, making us jump :hilarious:

Loved the board games, you never get to do them when living alone!
Ate strawberries, my prepared lunch of oven baked celeriac slices with cheese and bacon, one bite of sweet melon, 5 little crisps (bolognese flavour), a very small sweet, despite not being hypo, and one bite from my cousins soft white roll with cheese.

Evening meal will be a surprise again, no clue yet what I'll make.

Last edited: