What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed yesterday 6.7 FBG 6.4 but probably more due to lack of food on Saturday and, probably higher due to stress. Saturday night/early morning was very stressful with eldest grandson. Having finally got him over his upset and sleeping, I couldn't sleep listening in case he woke up again. 2am and me still awake, he got up to go to the loo and sure enough he got upset again. I was up until 3.30am calming him and getting him settled again. It was well after 4am before I got to sleep and they still woke up early. It seems to be just a night time thing that his fears manifest themselves. Not surprisingly, I was totally exhausted yesterday. Mixed up a chicken, mushroom and sausage "pie" with a bit of that GF pastry. Slept most of the afternoon after I got the boys home then, to add to problems Hubby has gone down with this sickness/diarrhoea bug!
B. Sunday - TAG. After I got the boys home I had slice of GF black pudding, slice smoked back bacon, 2 GF sausages (all air fried) and a fried egg. It saved me trying to stand to cook it.
D. Hubby wasn't eating so I had some of the "pie" with a mini cob.

I decanted myself back to one if the other bedrooms due to Hubby's illness.
@DJC3 - Will be thinking about you. PS Dennis is well named! I assume you won't be getting a mini Dennis called Gnasher?

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

So glad the Staffies were okay with Dennis, they (especially the boys) can be a bit unpredictable sometimes.

i don't really use a recipe for the soup. Basically one 1kg bag of frozen broccoli cooked in just enough water to cover with two Knorr stockpots added or use whatever stock you have in the freezer. When the broccoli is tender whizz until smooth with an immersion blender then pour into a bowl and add grated Stilton and stir until melted then top with a swirl of double cream to taste. Thats it. It takes 15 minutes from start to finish and tastes lovely.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The cabbage?

Why not rinse it, the cook is a bit? Clearly, you could boil/steam it, or alternatively slooooooooooow fry it with some bacon lardons or chopped chorizo. The latter could be rather nice with the chicken, if you have chorizo.

Of course, I could eat a lot of chorizo, a lot of the time. I love it!

Wonderful in an omelette, or in cauli cheese, or fried, in a frying pan, slowly, before adding white fish or scallops.

The oil released is such a lovely colour, it can do quite a bit to enhance dishes that might otherwise look rather bland or beige.

Yes, I will rinse as much salt out as I can and blanch it before putting some away in the freezer. There is quite a lot of it and I am having to be careful these days about how much veg I eat. I love chorizo too but can't get anything edible in the shops here, so I make my own. Have to make some, I've run out of the previous batch. First get some pork - that'll be on Wednesday's list.

On the other hand, I do have the whole belly of pork that I bought frozen a week or so back but I don't really want to defrost a whole belly just to get enough to make some chorizo. I did intend to cut it into smaller portions and give half to No 2 son, but he tells me that they don't eat belly pork. So that's not on. Just have to cut it up, cook some, make chorizo with some and put it all back in the freezer as different dishes, or ready to be put into dishes.

Opened the white fish - it was cod - but it smells as though it's ott. I washed it to try to improve it, but it's still smelly, so it's going out! Chicken tonight, after all.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Bed 7.3 FBG 7.1. Don't know why I'm bothering as food has been very limited today. @annabell1 - I did smile at your EVO as, since changing cars ( to one that actually works) to me EVO now means car is in Electric Vehicle mode. @Annb - in our house the lamb ( or boiling beef) for broth goes back into the soup. That is probably why no one wants anything else after a plate of Hubby's broth!
B. TAG and a slice of toasted LC bread with ham and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - boys were coming to stay so I was busy cooking their dinner and cleaning as No. 1 grandson is currently neurotic about Covid19!
D. Picked at about 3 teaspoons of mince as I cooked it and currently I've had 2 slices of ham as I'm past eating anything else.

It's been quite a trial to get eldest grandson to settle. As I said he is neurotic currently about covid19 and getting ill. I've told my son he really needs to make sure he doesn't hear the endless "briefings" that continue up here as they are full of doom and gloom and they've terrified some of the kids. He's convinced if he sleeps anywhere other than his own bed he'll catch something. It wasn't helped by the fact that when he stayed a few weeks ago he had the beginnings of a sickness bug which hit a couple of days later. Keeping them locked away for months and the constantly changing "rules" are not helping either. It's been very stressful as he was very upset and it took me a while to get to the bottom of it. He's sleeping now thankfully and he'll be fine in the morning. There's a certain person though that's never off our screens I would happily tear a strip off right now though! Rant over.
Glad made you smile

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
@Annb The first Christmas dinner I remember was when I was two - about a couple of months before Christmas my Dad (a chef) brought home a live turkey to fatten up for Christmas dinner. By the week before Christmas the turkey was huge and had turned in to a family pet. My father tried but couldn't bring himself to do the deed so enlisted the help of a neighbour (a dentist) to help out. The pair of them got very drunk in preparation then chased the poor turkey around the garden before finally being successful. Then, after a week of hanging, it needed plucking and drawing - which my Dad said was the worse bit. On Christmas day as the meal was being served my sister commented about how strange it was not to have the turkey running around in the garden - well that did it - Christmas dinner was served up with tears and I was the only person who could eat it.

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - chaffle, fried eggs, mushrooms and 100g baked beans
Lunch: definitely will not be needed
Dinner: experimenting with making broccoli and Stilton soup - I'm hoping that, as it will be thickened with double cream, I won't need anything else
Oh dear that brings back memories for me growing up we had chickens and let me tell you they were the best freshiest eggs ever and worst job collecting them eggs as those chicks would peck out me when my turn to collect them eggs. but every now and again my Father would catch a few chooks and chased them around the yard to do the deed my brothers and sisters and myself would watch inside the house feeling sorry for those poor chooks. Flapping around with the heads chopped off. Then remember my mum would plunch them in boiling water then remove the feathers etc. Then we had them for a meal it was way of life back then that's what was done in those days and coming from a family of 10 it was a way to safe money and feed the family.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Chaffle making today Ive posted below if anyone wants to make them.
Chaffles

To make 10 Chaffles - 2 gram of carb per chaffle approx

Heat up the waffle maker – I use a non-stick electric one

Meanwhile measure out into a bowl:

250g of full fat cream cheese

120g of Almond Flour

4 eggs

3 teaspoons of Psyllium Husk

1 and a half teaspoons of Baking Powder

Using electric whisk - whisk up until all well mixed.

Leave to stand a few mins the PH will thicken it up.

Use a tablespoon to get right amount of chaffle mix – should do 10 waffles without stinting.

Drop the spoonful of mix into the maker – cook for 2.30 mins as re-heating later.

As each one cooks take it out and put to cool on the cooling tray. They can then be frozen for later use and reheating. I put kitchen towel between to keep separate.

For lunch I made with four of them into a couple of toasties for our lunch. Mixed grated cheese with some salami, mustard, salt and pepper and used a a filling. made a sandwich with a smear of butter on outside of 'toasties' and fried for a few mins whilst cheese melted inside - wonderful.

Rest frozen for future use - will be doing a lasagne whilst mum here next week so mainly using as substitute pasta sheets as they work quite well. Also some frozen to use as toasties or toasted with breakfast. Also just made some choc truffles will put these and how to make them on next!!View attachment 42924 View attachment 42928
Thanks for recipe I tried making them when they first became the rage but just with eggs and cheese but they were always messy and I gave up on making them but will try your recipe! Also when frozen was wondering best way how do you reheat them. Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I will rinse as much salt out as I can and blanch it before putting some away in the freezer. There is quite a lot of it and I am having to be careful these days about how much veg I eat. I love chorizo too but can't get anything edible in the shops here, so I make my own. Have to make some, I've run out of the previous batch. First get some pork - that'll be on Wednesday's list.

On the other hand, I do have the whole belly of pork that I bought frozen a week or so back but I don't really want to defrost a whole belly just to get enough to make some chorizo. I did intend to cut it into smaller portions and give half to No 2 son, but he tells me that they don't eat belly pork. So that's not on. Just have to cut it up, cook some, make chorizo with some and put it all back in the freezer as different dishes, or ready to be put into dishes.

Opened the white fish - it was cod - but it smells as though it's ott. I washed it to try to improve it, but it's still smelly, so it's going out! Chicken tonight, after all.

For your excess belly pork, you could cut it into decent thickness slices, then boil it, then freeze in individual slices (or in our case, several slices, but separated, allowing for using one or more slices at a time.

Then remove cooked belly pork slice or slices from the oven and crisp them up for total deliciousness. I air fryer that last bit (and use the pressure cooker for the first), so couldn't guestimate timings, I'm afraid.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS Dennis is well named! I assume you won't be getting a mini Dennis called Gnasher?

No way! Our next will be a Walter!
Hugs for all the family stresses and worries and sickness. I hope your hubby is feeling better now. My eldest granddaughter ( age 9) also has night terrors and trouble sleeping.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

After a virtuous weekend food wise, a bit less virtuous today, aided by deliveries from Montezuma’s and Awfully Posh :D

Late breakfast (10am after getting up before 4) of a bag of newly delivered Awfully Posh pork puffs. Airy pork rinds. A bit like quavers and unlike the similar pork crunch from the real pork crackling co, no added gunk - just pork and salt. Pretty tasty.

Lunch was the last of the leftover lamb with pickled onions and a chunk of cheese.

Dinner was air fried poussin with a chilli oil rub (bought some from Morrison’s rather than make my own). Delicious.

In-between/desserts were a small amount of Montezuma's absolute black with orange and cocoa nibs melted and mixed with whipped cream and 4 Montezuma’s 100% mini eggs with peanut butter.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad the Staffies were okay with Dennis, they (especially the boys) can be a bit unpredictable sometimes.

i don't really use a recipe for the soup. Basically one 1kg bag of frozen broccoli cooked in just enough water to cover with two Knorr stockpots added or use whatever stock you have in the freezer. When the broccoli is tender whizz until smooth with an immersion blender then pour into a bowl and add grated Stilton and stir until melted then top with a swirl of double cream to taste. Thats it. It takes 15 minutes from start to finish and tastes lovely.

That sounds ‘ souper’ and is pretty much what I do too.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening
Late breakfast (10am after getting up before 4) of a bag of newly delivered Awfully Posh pork puffs. Airy pork rinds. A bit like quavers and unlike the similar pork crunch from the real pork crackling co, no added gunk - just pork and salt.
I have found similar in Morrisons called golden crunch or pork crunch ( dont have a bag at the mo to photo). They are better for teeth than scratching or crackling. Think they are about a £1 a bag and are really useful when all around are tucking into crisps or corn chips.
In Morrisons they weren't in a shelf but on one of the hanger things hanging further down the snack aisle.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee this morning.
Lunch was one of the new batch of flaxseed buns hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns with a generous dollop of @Brunneria ‘s mackerel pate. The horseradish is a great addition. 30g Montezuma’s black.
Dinner was roast duck with roast cauli and broccoli. Red wine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found similar in Morrisons called golden crunch or pork crunch ( dont have a bag at the mo to photo). They are better for teeth than scratching or crackling. Think they are about a £1 a bag and are really useful when all around are tucking into crisps or corn chips.
In Morrisons they weren't in a shelf but on one of the hanger things hanging further down the snack aisle.

Do you mean these ones? They’re tasty but do have a few less desirable ingredients - not that’s stopped me eating them, especially when out and about.

981164C5-64A0-4756-9547-5A5D524B9300.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for recipe I tried making them when they first became the rage but just with eggs and cheese but they were always messy and I gave up on making them but will try your recipe! Also when frozen was wondering best way how do you reheat them. Thanks
Hi I either toast them lightly from frozen or fry in smear of butter just be aware they burn easily because of the nut content so keep an eye they don’t need long!

Reactions: annabell1

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
No baking today - next batch will be seeded lc crackers which I’m doing on Thursday - we have friends coming along for a cheese and wine evening then in our garden so will give me other options when others eating higher carb stuff! Hoping some will be left for mums visit too.
Lunch - one slice of toasted low carb bread (Hilo seeded) with egg fried in smear of butter then coffee and two of my hm lc truffles
Dinner chilli chicken with salads - coleslaw, advocado mixed with celery and wAlnuts and tiny bit of tomato basil and glass of soda water with a splash of dry white which flavours it really well followed by sf jelly and cream. One of my truffles with mug of decaf coffee with cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean these ones? They’re tasty but do have a few less desirable ingredients - not that’s stopped me eating them, especially when out and about.

View attachment 42946
Yes those are the ones but the less desirable ingredients are very very small, less than a percent (from memory)

How do they compare both taste,nutrition and price with the posh ones?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
27.07.2p29
Breakfast CWC
CWC
Lunch; ham, cucumber, coleslaw, radish. Low Carb bread.
Half a peach
Water and tea, sneaky glass of wine.
Dinner: chicken thigh, ratatouille, carrot, beans and mangetout, one small piece of potato. Glass of wine
Later bacon melt and more wine. .
Water and more water.
Common sense prevails at last

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back home this afternoon til the weekend, so looking forward to my coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast tomorrow :)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with salted caramel phd bar
Lunch: Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
27.07.2p29
Breakfast CWC
CWC
Lunch; ham, cucumber, coleslaw, radish. Low Carb bread.
Half a peach
Water and tea, sneaky glass of wine.
Dinner: chicken thigh, ratatouille, carrot, beans and mangetout, one small piece of potato. Glass of wine
Later bacon melt and more wine. .
Water and more water.
Common sense prevails at last

Any news on MrSlim's return?