What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That reminded me of a visit to Costa coffee. A man in front of me in the queue asked me why the staff were called barristers when they obviously were not. I tried to explain difference between baristas and barristers but he didn't understand. The rest of the queue thought my efforts at explaining were hillarious.
As I never tire of telling Julie, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Must admit I've never tried it in Costa or Rica.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning and another day of driving Miss Daisy.

He is a nice enough chap, another aspie, a barrister and young to boot. Obviously his special interest is maintaining old boilers, maybe he's a steam enthusiast? :angelic:;)

Haha....sat here imagining Kenneth Williams face as you say that . "Ooh Matron "...:hilarious:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
6.40am FBG 5.9
Loads of energy this morning so dashed round cleaning. Got bathroom and most of the kitchen done before MrSlim emerged, announcing today we are going out. So more dashing about, washing hair etc as had dressed for a day in the garden.
First port of call on day out - the builders merchant.

Reactions: karen8967

lindisfel

Expert
I am waiting for one of you guys doing a bare bones hag of a black tree in a stark landscape with 19 crows in its branches!

In the past a film buff painter would probably label it Bodega Bay, however, in this new normal world a birder artist might label it, Corvid 19! :)
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
The Lammergeier over Chatsworth yesterday and Derbyshire peak atm would be an interesting sight with its 9' wingspan!
Making a Golden Eagle look small, perhaps?

In its native mountains it is known as the bone breaker. It picks up the bones of animals that are full of marrow, flies aloft and drops them on rocky mountainsides to get at the marrow inside.

It should be in Wales or Cumbria where there are proper mountains!
D.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had some good news this morning. The village hall I hire on Wednesday mornings is re-opening from 1st September. I was so pleased to hear this - it has really made my day.
It will be so nice to get back to a sort of normal.

Hopefully the other venues will open - otherwise it will be Zoom classes which I am dreading.

lindisfel

Expert
Had some good news this morning. The village hall I hire on Wednesday mornings is re-opening from 1st September. I was so pleased to hear this - it has really made my day.
It will be so nice to get back to a sort of normal.

Hopefully the other venues will open - otherwise it will be Zoom classes which I am dreading.
Their very tiring Krystyna,
My eldest teaches fourth year medical students on zoom and finds it very tiring.
I had a two hour meeting with a church group of old men on tuesday am and I found it tiring.
I say old men but their mostly younger than I!
Hope it goes well face to face or front to back or whatever your relative teaching position.
Wife disappointed Tai Chi not restarted.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Do you think, Muddy, a bike is kinder on the hip joint than walking? Have slight problems with left side joint.
I was in a cycling club in the 50s and loved my bike, which was a Carlton road bike, in nice maroon colour. Did an 150 in 12 (well 10 hours plus) when I was fourteen.
Still remember well how much I appreciated getting around on a bike then. It opened up new horizons.

Have some reservations about traffic though, now being on anticoagulant therapy and the speed of local traffic on country roads.
Hope Boris comes up with some form of traffic segregation, but I doubt it will happen.
D.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Their very tiring Krystyna,
My eldest teaches fourth year medical students on zoom and finds it very tiring.
I had a two hour meeting with a church group of old men on tuesday am and I found it tiring.
I say old men but their mostly younger than I!
Hope it goes well face to face or front to back or whatever your relative teaching position.
Wife disappointed Tai Chi not restarted.
D.
I agree that it is exhausting. I have been doing all my training on Zoom that I usually go to London for and I have been shocked at how exhausting it is. I thought it was my age but my daughter is also finding it is exhausting and so do her colleagues.

When I teach a class I can easily scan the room to check everyone's alignment and whether they are doing an exercise correctly but on Zoom it will be a nightmare trying see what everyone is doing.

Hope your wife's Tai Chi classes start back soon.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist meant by plein air.
Absolutely, the more Air the better
Have some reservations about traffic though, now being on anticoagulant therapy and the speed of local traffic on country roads.
That's why I do Mountain Biking but not without its own set of problems. I find cycling easier than walking.
@Muddy Cyclist

Oh, I think that's your first recital since lockdown ?

A rather intrepid moment..(who could have envisaged singing as ever having real risks)

I hope you make the right choice ,
One that sits comfortable with you

Best wishes for all, hope it's a wonderful evening & the worry proves unnecessary, though sensible
Choice been made for me, 3 hour ride, too tired on trick down hill section, bike wheels and loose gravel do not get on and so a big crash, bike went from under me, I was left hovering for a few moments and then gravity took over, down I went and landed on my handle bars sharp side up. Thank goodness I have Bar Ends otherwise it would have been a Core Injury where the metal enters into you soft tissue and when removed cores your inards like an apple. I just have a Half Crown size bruise and a lot of aches, hope no broken ribs. However can't face singing as injury is on my chest.
IMG_3562.JPG
Moral of this story never let your children, grandchildren or yourself Ride with bar end missing from handle bars.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely, the more Air the better

That's why I do Mountain Biking but not without its own set of problems. I find cycling easier than walking.

Choice been made for me, 3 hour ride, too tired on trick down hill section, bike wheels and loose gravel do not get on and so a big crash, bike went from under me, I was left hovering for a few moments and then gravity took over, down I went and landed on my handle bars sharp side up. Thank goodness I have Bar Ends otherwise it would have been a Core Injury where the metal enters into you soft tissue and when removed cores your inards like an apple. I just have a Half Crown size bruise and a lot of aches, hope no broken ribs. However can't face singing as injury is on my chest.
View attachment 43000
Moral of this story never let your children, grandchildren or yourself Ride with bar end missing from handle bars.
That doesn't sound good - Half Crown sized bruise quite big enough and could grow, Take care of yourself although I'm pretty sure Mrs M C will do a great job.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My painting for today,. An abstract of what is in front of me.
A trying morning. Communication problems where people expect me to telephone despite them knowing I am deaf, and cannot use the phone. It was to arrange some medical appointments and investigations I normally have this time of year, but with coronavirus I had no idea what was happening. So I just turned up to ask at the health centre. I was masked. Other parts of it appeared to be operating as normal, apart from screens. But my GP Practice was barricaded at the entrance bit with chairs piled on top of each other like some crazy tower. The grille bars were down to the counter. I couldn't see anyone. There were some weird notices saying you needed to use your app (what app?? I haven't had any information from the GP surgery about this new way of getting to see them) to say you are there and some one will come to let you in.

So I tried to squeeze in through the side of the chairs, and then this woman starts shouting at me from behind the grill motioning me to go away, and telephone. I tried to explain I was deaf and was unable to telephone.But she just got angrier. So I just stood there. In the end she came charging round the grille ranting and raving at me. Telling me to go away, and to use the telephone.

I explained again I was deaf, couldn't hear on the telephone, and I had no one to phone for me. She appeared to understand. And I showed her my repeat prescription, where on the last page it asks me to make an appointment for my investigations etc at my GP Surgery which was here. You need to telephone she said. I pointed to my deaf badge and explained again I cannot hear on the telephone.

Finally she understood. I will make the appointments for you, but it will take half an hour, wait there.

There were no chairs to sit on, they were piled in a tower, and if I had tried to move one, the whole lot would have come tumbling down. So, I am standing, my hips hurt, I am on my crutches. I try leaning against the wall, the railings, and I am dying for a wee, but the toilet doors are taped shut, telling you that you cannot go to the toilet.

Finally the lady came out. And I have two appointments now one after the other on the same day in September. There should have been a third appointment, but if I had spent any longer in the surgery, there would have been a spreading puddle on the floor.

She is sending me a pdf, which apparently I should have been sent. So I gave her my email address again. It is on their files.

I did try emailing them awhile ago, but I got this email message to say they didn't respond very quickly to email and to telephone....????

I have just realised I am never going to last the time needed for those two appointments without a toilet. Oh well, I will just wear a long skirt that day and no ........, and if the toilets are not open by then, I shall be going back to my car, between appointments, and pretend to check I have locked it....

I am not in any mood for any calming Zen work today...

This is an abstract sketching what is in front of my eyes....
Normal service will be resumed tomorrow...

EB95941C-A8AE-4027-BA88-EB7AD216A776.jpeg

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My painting for today,. An abstract of what is in front of me.
A trying morning. Communication problems where people expect me to telephone despite them knowing I am deaf, and cannot use the phone. It was to arrange some medical appointments and investigations I normally have this time of year, but with coronavirus I had no idea what was happening. So I just turned up to ask at the health centre. I was masked. Other parts of it appeared to be operating as normal, apart from screens. But my GP Practice was barricaded at the entrance bit with chairs piled on top of each other like some crazy tower. The grille bars were down to the counter. I couldn't see anyone. There were some weird notices saying you needed to use your app (what app?? I haven't had any information from the GP surgery about this new way of getting to see them) to say you are there and some one will come to let you in.

So I tried to squeeze in through the side of the chairs, and then this woman starts shouting at me from behind the grill motioning me to go away, and telephone. I tried to explain I was deaf and was unable to telephone.But she just got angrier. So I just stood there. In the end she came charging round the grille ranting and raving at me. Telling me to go away, and to use the telephone.

I explained again I was deaf, couldn't hear on the telephone, and I had no one to phone for me. She appeared to understand. And I showed her my repeat prescription, where on the last page it asks me to make an appointment for my investigations etc at my GP Surgery which was here. You need to telephone she said. I pointed to my deaf badge and explained again I cannot hear on the telephone.

Finally she understood. I will make the appointments for you, but it will take half an hour, wait there.

There were no chairs to sit on, they were piled in a tower, and if I had tried to move one, the whole lot would have come tumbling down. So, I am standing, my hips hurt, I am on my crutches. I try leaning against the wall, the railings, and I am dying for a wee, but the toilet doors are taped shut, telling you that you cannot go to the toilet.

Finally the lady came out. And I have two appointments now one after the other on the same day in September. There should have been a third appointment, but if I had spent any longer in the surgery, there would have been a spreading puddle on the floor.

She is sending me a pdf, which apparently I should have been sent. So I gave her my email address again. It is on their files.

I did try emailing them awhile ago, but I got this email message to say they didn't respond very quickly to email and to telephone....????

I have just realised I am never going to last the time needed for those two appointments without a toilet. Oh well, I will just wear a long skirt that day and no ........, and if the toilets are not open by then, I shall be going back to my car, between appointments, and pretend to check I have locked it....

I am not in any mood for any calming Zen work today...

This is an abstract sketching what is in front of my eyes....
Normal service will be resumed tomorrow...

View attachment 43002
Frustrating day and understandable that your artwork would reflect that. Having said that, The Breckalnd Bugle fully approves and rates it a must see. G and T time (s)?