Corona virus

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in regards to my post, as I was simply pointing out that according to him (and his friends) 'some supermarkets refused to deliver to self-isolaters'.

Oh. I wasn’t referring to what you said at all. That seemed very clear, tho I hope it will change.

I meant, oh dear we can only take this as one Type 1’s virus diary to a certain extent - because he only describes the first week, & we don’t know how he’s doing now.

TerriH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, hooligan drivers and most of all rude, selfish and totally inconsiderate people.
Yes, we are all extremely concerned, especially as things like my Annual Review and Retinopathy appointments have been just cancelled "until further notice". I do understand why but it certainly increases the feeling of isolation. The only thing we can do is self manage as I have been doing for almost 55 years now. Stay strong fellow sufferers Que sera sera!!! My HaB1c by the way is 48 mmols!!

CliveT1

Ok, let me try and do some maths (that’s a big ask for my old small brain by the way!)..

Firstly, looks at these stats

upload_2020-3-19_13-37-13.jpeg

So, take the 50-59 group...

• Symptomatic cases requiring hospital treatment 10.2%
  • Those of that 10.2% who require critical care 12.2%
  • Dying 0.6%

These are only based on cases admitted to hospital and they will only usually be tested at that stage...There will be many more thousands of cases with just mild symptoms who have not been tested or hospitalised. So, I’d suggest the real % of all CV cases ending up hospitalised, critical or dying is much much lower.

So let’s say as a metric that these numbers are based on 1000, that’s 6 people dying.

Assuming then there’s at least 3 times as many cases unreported/untested, then those 6 people dying drives that 0.6% significantly downward...to 0.2% of total cases....if more than 3000 (and it almost certainly is!)...THEN THE ACTUAL FIGURE IS CLOSER TO SEASONAL FLU

Forgive me if my maths are dodgy, I am no expert, and this is of course opinion and I humbly stand to be corrected. But this gives me some peace of mind as a well controlled type 1 with no other known issues.

Though it would be great if us Diabetics could have some more specific stats for our own group...in other words, % hospitalised and deaths among known cases with diabetes...(inc type, level of control and comorbidities, etc...I get that’s a big ask though).

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Though it would be great if us Diabetics could have some more specific stats for our own group...in other words, % hospitalised and deaths among known cases with diabetes...(inc type, level of control and comorbidities, etc...I get that’s a big ask though).

This is from China, where the Infection Fatality ratio for diabetics overall is about 7% - about the same as the 70+ age groups - though I would assume within the diabetic cohort, age, control, other comorbidities give varation away from this mean.

_111104222_death_ratio_v2640-nc.png

Reactions: kev-w

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Yes. But my cousin knows about this kind of thing as he did science in college and he said it's just a flu. This coronavirus was around years ago, it's just a stronger version
NO this NOT just a flu. People need to understand this is very serious (as is flu) it is a pandemic! The next 3 months here in the UK the total number of cases will continue rise at a breath taking rate (Pun intended)

It is down to every single one of us how quick the tide turns... Stay away from everybody as much as you can manage... it will end sooner, pretend you don't matter... you go out and do what you want it will be next year before we start to regain sense of normality.. ABNORMAL IS THE NEW NORMAL.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People started off by saying it's just a relation to the common cold, which they find comforting. But that's exactly why it's so dangerous

Everyone gets the common cold. Now imagine it killing you

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really worrying times. I've had a weird feeling in my chest for over a week now. It kind of feels a little bit heavy/tight. But I have no other symptoms whatsoever and otherwise feel perfectly fine. Do you think this could be stress/anxiety? I'm worried it's a very mild form of COVID-19 but surely I'd have other symptoms. I've been very anxious about the whole situation so more likely it's the result of that.

Some horrific stat on Twitter said diabetics who have got it have had a 10% chance of death, which sent me into an anxious mess given that there is a good chance we will all be getting it sooner or later.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which is a 90% chance of LIFE x
I know you're trying to be optimistic but a 10% chance of DYING isn't a great statistic to take comfort in!

There was -- worryingly -- much less than a 10% chance of any of us getting T1D ......

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really worrying times. I've had a weird feeling in my chest for over a week now. It kind of feels a little bit heavy/tight. But I have no other symptoms whatsoever and otherwise feel perfectly fine. Do you think this could be stress/anxiety? I'm worried it's a very mild form of COVID-19 but surely I'd have other symptoms. I've been very anxious about the whole situation so more likely it's the result of that.

Some horrific stat on Twitter said diabetics who have got it have had a 10% chance of death, which sent me into an anxious mess given that there is a good chance we will all be getting it sooner or later.
See my thread on almost identical situation. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...o-doom-mongering-allowed.172959/#post-2236276

Even the very elderly and with other conditions aren’t being quoted 10%. Scaremongering.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you're trying to be optimistic but a 10% chance of DYING isn't a great statistic to take comfort in!

There was -- worryingly -- much less than a 10% chance of any of us getting T1D ......

Ah, to be pedantic if you were one of the 2% of the worlds diabetic population then statistically you've around an 8-10% of being T1 :p

Statistics, statistics and d*mm lies...

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.

I'd go along with that. IF it's true.

You'd never get on a plane if you knew 1 in 10 of them would crash.

Though stats (even real ones) are always manipulated.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

The figures and info on social media are extremely dubious. The info just isn't there to do the calculations. The only really significant factor appears to be age.

Maybe look at the stats for your age and double it??? (As good as anything else??) Age is more important than diabetes.

Your odds for survival are extremely good if the health system isn't overwhelmed, or if they develop better treatments and/or a vaccine.

My 79 year old T2 dad is still more likely to survive the virus that not, it's just that his odds are such he's better self isolating.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I look ahead and it looks dark.
I see winter coming and Brexit and disease.
I see most of the worlds countries closing their borders and isolating themselves from neighbouring countries.
Some countries will find it easier than others.
I see many countries becoming isolated islands.
I see the airports and sea ports closing and the channel tunnel too.
How will Britain fare?
If it goes on for any length of time I see the coalmines opening up again ... good news in the darkness that.
I see rationing of everything food fuel electricity.
I see marshal law on the streets.
No I'm not depressed thanks but I see grim times ahead with very little good news coming from anywhere.