What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
l:Green salad with a few prawns and grilled peppers and a little Greek rice salad (aka last night's leftovers! Some berry bake.
D: salmon from the airfryer with salad and avocado with cucumber and mint yoghurt. More berry bake

Berry bake is a new (to me) recipe from the keto fitness club website. They suggest it for breakfast but I did it as spare dessert for our visitors last night. It wasn't needed to weve got 8 portions out of it today.
Basically 100g or so of fresh or frozen berries into the base of an oven dish with a little sweetener. I used frozen blackcurrants and redcurrants, nice and tart. Topping was 200-250 ff cream cheese mixed with 150g soured cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice, 15g sweetner and 2 eggs. beat well and pour over fruit. Bake in moderate oven 30-40 minutes. Will rise a bit and sink back. We had it cold next day but think it would be OK warm.
Very tasty and not too sweet. Looked pretty as the juices bubbled through. Will become a regular methinks.
I'd also tried the brownies from the same site. Very acceptable but 35g of sweetener felt a lot to me. Was quite rich so cut into very small squares. Probably got 20 from the one mix. Easy to make. Another keeper

I live the sound of the berry bake. There are a lot of blackberries appearing in our lane these days so I think I’ll try with them.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@JenniferM55 eeeeww earwig! At least it was a clean outdoors one lol!
@Goonergal she wove one for each kid, one each for her mother and herself, and one each for first 4 grandchildren before they sold up and downsized. She gave Grama's to Mr ZF-- this is it.
MrsA2 yes! Thank you! Now to convert grams to... whatever of berries and @DJC3 reminded me there are some blackberries along the road a mile from here! We had them wild at our previous house; only got 5-10 at a time though.

Where has Ian P gone? I have thought of him often!

Bfast: avocado, pecans in avocado oil, boiled egg in same bowl, 2 90% Lindt choc, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Snack: spoon of peanut butter and cherry tomatoes
Barre class
Big Barre Supper: I have to refuel heavily after class or I'm dead in the morning... : tin of sardines, celery, wilted spinach/HMsalad dressing/cheddar crumbles while making cheese and tomato sandwich for Mr ZF, flax crisps/dilute soy

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
No idea but it's GORGEOUS! I will swim the Atlantic to get some of your fresh produce, how's that? Maybe kayak is safer. Look for me in 2021....
Surely there is some nice food ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. That sounds like a great idea, and I'll give it a shot. I'm feeding my son at the moment, though, and he got sick of 'weird food' when my ex started dabbling with keto.

I'll also try this again, but sharing 150g of rice between two of us instead of 250g. If I still put the full 250g of fish and/or meat in it, I think it'll still be a satisfying meal. Though, somewhat surprisingly, there's 3.8g of carbs per 100g in the seafood mix that I'm using. I thought that would be a freebie. So it's more like 35g of carbs I've had in one hit, and I'd be lowering it to about 23g. I think that'd keep me below the magical 2 mmol/L increase.

I was back down to 6.8, 3 hours after the meal, so I don't think it's hit me that badly. I'm not going to waste another strip, testing again, tonight. I'll just see if it's reflected in my morning reading.

Bearing in mind how much of the volume of the dish is rice and how the seafood, etc is spread throughout, I think accurately managing the amount of rice you eat could be a bit of a challenge.

You could try your son on the pretendy? My OH likes it, but prefers the real thing, which is why I mainly do the pretendy if he's out or away, but he doesn't walk away from the plate if it is presented to him with cauli rice.

Or alternatively again, use a small amount of rice, so that the proportions look a bit wonky to begin with, then at the end, add the cauli rice and treat as before. Of course, that might disturb any of the cooked on deliciousness at the bottom of the pan, but it's an option to reduce the carb count substantially, if not to the full potential extent.

Just a thought.

(You can probably tell I enjoy paella - great flavours, but to be fair, in my world, almost anything involving chorizo is a winner. :) )

Reactions: Chook

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@MrsA2 the airfryer is very versatile. Mine has a rotisserie function so whole chickens are possible but chicken wings, chops, bacon, anything meaty that you might grill, fry, or even roast can be done in the airfryer. Very handy on hot days and anything with skin gets crispy with the meat staying moist. Halloumi fries also good.[/QUOTE]

Which make and model? MrSlims response to my requests for an air fryer were met with an article saying they are useless. :arghh:
Of course being electric they might be too power hungry for our meagre supply. But presumably we will eventually get upgrade.
Edited to add, and possibly a good alternative to bottled gas.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 the airfryer is very versatile. Mine has a rotisserie function so whole chickens are possible but chicken wings, chops, bacon, anything meaty that you might grill, fry, or even roast can be done in the airfryer. Very handy on hot days and anything with skin gets crispy with the meat staying moist. Halloumi fries also good.

Which make and model? MrSlims response to my requests for an air fryer were met with an article saying they are useless. :arghh:
Of course being electric they might be too power hungry for our meagre supply. But presumably we will eventually get upgrade.[/QUOTE]

It is this one from Lidl, so not always available.

http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pgJWS/

However, there is a similar one, stocked by John Lewis, among others. I believe @DCUKMod has that one. Does exactly the same things, just a lot more pricey than the Lidl one. I would happily pay for the John Lewis one if I needed to replace for any reason, now that I know how much I use it. Looks like it's no longer available online but you'll get the idea from this.

https://www.johnlewis.com/power-air-fryer-cooker-black/p3671178

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Goonergal I did try to get the Lidl one remotely, Mr Slim didn't find one in his Lidl and My daughter went and checked in two other stores. Over here you could easily double the price. Cheapest I have seen so far was €199.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal I did try to get the Lidl one remotely, Mr Slim didn't find one in his Lidl and My daughter went and checked in two other stores. Over here you could easily double the price. Cheapest I have seen so far was €199.

SlimLizzy - There are quite a few now with other labels on, doing pretty much as mine/ours does. To be honest, I am so, so Et, en français, there are these - just as examples:

https://www.amazon.fr/Klarstein-Aer...xydable&qid=1597134423&s=kitchen&sr=1-1-fkmr1

or

https://www.amazon.fr/Innsky-déshyd...er+inoxydable&qid=1597134423&s=kitchen&sr=1-1

There are loads under 200 euros.

Ours cost £160 a couple of years ago, if I recall, but like lots of things, over time, prices come down.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have been missing for a few days as have had bad tum, doc thinks Diverticulitis which was a complete surprise. So I havent been able to eat normally since Sat. I am trying to eat bland and soft food and eggs have been my saviour, boiled, scrambled, omelette.. I have been eating a small slice of Mr PM’s sourdough bread each day as a carrier for eggs. Evenings are very difficult and I have been eating cauli or brocolli mash with butter. Salad is a complete no no atm which is annoying because my tomatoes are ripening like crazy. I havent felt able to eat any meat. Any suggestions welcome.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
Have been missing for a few days as have had bad tum, doc thinks Diverticulitis which was a complete surprise. So I havent been able to eat normally since Sat. I am trying to eat bland and soft food and eggs have been my saviour, boiled, scrambled, omelette.. I have been eating a small slice of Mr PM’s sourdough bread each day as a carrier for eggs. Evenings are very difficult and I have been eating cauli or brocolli mash with butter. Salad is a complete no no atm which is annoying because my tomatoes are ripening like crazy. I havent felt able to eat any meat. Any suggestions welcome.

You could try baking your tomatoes. I always think they are better that way and, I believe cooked tomato is better nutritionally than raw. That would add a little flavour to your cauli or broccoli, or even in an omelette. Or, have you tried roasted, skinned peppers. They are available, ready skinned, in jars in most supermarkets. A finely ground liver pate might be acceptable or a finely ground sausage of some kind (eg polony). How about a soft cheese?

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all. :)

FBGs were 14.7 this morning. :shifty: I'm at a loss to know what to do. Mr C thinks I should contact the doctor and asking to be re-prescribed background insulin. I really dislike my doctor so will give it until next week. If it doesn't go down then I suppose I will have to have a re-think.

Today.....

Breakfast: omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch egg mayo and small avocado with green salad
Dinner: (thanks for the inspiration @DCUKMod ) halloumi, mushroom and lemon risotto made with cauliflower rice

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try baking your tomatoes. I always think they are better that way and, I believe cooked tomato is better nutritionally than raw. That would add a little flavour to your cauli or broccoli, or even in an omelette. Or, have you tried roasted, skinned peppers. They are available, ready skinned, in jars in most supermarkets. A finely ground liver pate might be acceptable or a finely ground sausage of some kind (eg polony). How about a soft cheese?
Hi Ann Thank all good suggestions. I will add some of these things to my C&C for Thurs as until then its a case of whats in the fridge. I will try a small bit of cheese. I am in the middle of a flare up so being super careful. Tonight I am cooking chicken, chorizo, pepper & tin toms for Mr PM to have with pasta so might try a spoonful with my cauli rice. I guess it will be trying things.

Reactions: DJC3 and Chook

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind how much of the volume of the dish is rice and how the seafood, etc is spread throughout, I think accurately managing the amount of rice you eat could be a bit of a challenge.

You could try your son on the pretendy? My OH likes it, but prefers the real thing, which is why I mainly do the pretendy if he's out or away, but he doesn't walk away from the plate if it is presented to him with cauli rice.

Or alternatively again, use a small amount of rice, so that the proportions look a bit wonky to begin with, then at the end, add the cauli rice and treat as before. Of course, that might disturb any of the cooked on deliciousness at the bottom of the pan, but it's an option to reduce the carb count substantially, if not to the full potential extent.

Just a thought.

(You can probably tell I enjoy paella - great flavours, but to be fair, in my world, almost anything involving chorizo is a winner. :) )
It sounds like you take your paella a lot more seriously than I do. A typical one of mine is literally boiling water, a fish stock cube, dry rice (cooked in the stock) turmeric (for colour) and whatever combination of meat and seafood I decide to chuck in it. Given the carbs in this seafood mix, I might just start chucking chunks of cod in there, in future.

I suppose I could weigh out the plates to make sure it's an exact 50/50 split, but I prefer to eyeball it. And maybe I can allow myself the odd treat while aiming to stay below a 9.0 two hours afterwards. Perhaps even the occasional (once a month or less) blow-out where I allow myself to eat what I feel like, savoury food wise. After all, my body was coping (albeit far from ideally) with that plus sweets and biscuits until recently.

I love chorizo, just as a snack. I bought 5 packs the other day. I shared 3 of them with my son, and then found out he'd eaten the other two without asking or telling me. Believe me, words have been had.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
When I had diverticulitis the gastro guy told me to ever ever get constipated again. His recommendation, soluble fibre. My easy solution is linseed/flaxseed/chia seed. Its magic stuff which seems to firm up the loose and loosen up the firm at the same time. I started on up to 3 tablespoons a day, then reduced fo one a day. Now just every so often when needed
Easiest way is to mix it with yoghurt night before then eat for breakfast.
I can't remember being on such a resticted diet when first diagnosed but do remember it being painful ((hug))

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had diverticulitis the gastro guy told me to ever ever get constipated again. His recommendation, soluble fibre. My easy solution is linseed/flaxseed/chia seed. Its magic stuff which seems to firm up the loose and loosen up the firm at the same time. I started on up to 3 tablespoons a day, then reduced fo one a day. Now just every so often when needed
Easiest way is to mix it with yoghurt night before then eat for breakfast.
I can't remember being on such a resticted diet when first diagnosed but do remember it being painful ((hug))
Thanks for your reply. I am never constipated, quite the opposite. Its interesting about flaxseed because my son who has it much worse than me cannot tolerate any seeds. I guess like all gastro issues its a case of trial and error.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. I am never constipated, quite the opposite. Its interesting about flaxseed because my son who has it much worse than me cannot tolerate any seeds. I guess like all gastro issues its a case of trial and error.
Sent you a pm

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Surely there is some nice food ?

Well, we do have good produce but I would have to brave the farm stand for it. I just enjoyed the image of me kayaking off into the sunrise... we didn't take our vacation this July, so the kayak sits lonesome in the house's garage, house empty but for one person in the rental unit.

Hope you get more power soon!! Our neighborhood was in the throes of the power being put underground when we first looked at the house. Just a few minutes ago they removed the last bit of overhead line that runs from the pole on the road to our house. Cherry-picker trucks! Handsome dudes with big red beards!

Reactions: maglil55