What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome @Onlinecaroline your menu definitely sounds good.

No OMAD today. The return to work, albeit from home, seemed to trigger hunger.

Had 2 breakfasts. One on the train was a piece of bacon from a bacon roll. Having dismissed all offers of food as being carby, I overheard the train manager offering someone else a bacon roll (definitely not on the verbal list when he asked me) so rushed down the carriage to request one!

Once home breakfast no 2 was some salami and chorizo followed by cream cheese.

Dinner was an air fried combo of chicken wings and a pork belly slice chopped into chunks, both coated in chilli oil. Delicious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and welcome again @Onlinecaroline I agree your menu looks great.
Today a couple of oddly timed snacks before a proper meal this evening.
NE1 selection of cheeses, handful of walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
NE2 couple of slices of cold lamb
NE3 (evening meal) Pork chops with blue cheese sauce broccoli and mushrooms. Followed by h/m strained yoghurt and blueberries and 1 Montezumas dark chocolate and peanut butter mini egg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Will read back later but wanted to quickly log before three days went by!
Did notice on quick scan though that @zauberflote was back - how lovely to see you sending you hugs and best wishes and also welcome to @Onlinecaroline - looking like a good start in recording and motivation.
@Goonergal hope London not too hot forecasts seem to be giving high temps especially for London and south east. A breeze has recently sprung up here and it’s appreciated after hot afternoon.
Sat - journey back with mum and lots of jobs there breakfast one slice of bacon and egg plus teaspoon of no added sugar beans
Lunch half a lc cheese scone and bit of cheese
Dinner lasagne made with chaffles instead of pasta and salad followed by a few berries and cream
Sunday - jobs am and back home pm
breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch half a lc cheese scone with slice of ham
Dinner ginger and Corriander chicken with salads followed by a few berries and cream
Today - all at home - no breakfast
Lunch two egg omelette
Dinner a few walnuts while getting dinner ready - Cajun chicken with salads followed by a few berries and cream just had decaff coffee with some 100% choc.
Also had dry white wine mixed with soda water with my dinners.
Booked in for a swim first thing tomorrow - can’t wait but notice more swimmers have booked so it may not be as pleasant as previous sessions was loving the quiet swims!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
l:Green salad with a few prawns and grilled peppers and a little Greek rice salad (aka last night's leftovers! Some berry bake.
D: salmon from the airfryer with salad and avocado with cucumber and mint yoghurt. More berry bake

Berry bake is a new (to me) recipe from the keto fitness club website. They suggest it for breakfast but I did it as spare dessert for our visitors last night. It wasn't needed to weve got 8 portions out of it today.
Basically 100g or so of fresh or frozen berries into the base of an oven dish with a little sweetener. I used frozen blackcurrants and redcurrants, nice and tart. Topping was 200-250 ff cream cheese mixed with 150g soured cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice, 15g sweetner and 2 eggs. beat well and pour over fruit. Bake in moderate oven 30-40 minutes. Will rise a bit and sink back. We had it cold next day but think it would be OK warm.
Very tasty and not too sweet. Looked pretty as the juices bubbled through. Will become a regular methinks.
I'd also tried the brownies from the same site. Very acceptable but 35g of sweetener felt a lot to me. Was quite rich so cut into very small squares. Probably got 20 from the one mix. Easy to make. Another keeper

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did my first OMAD today (I had thought about it yesterday after feeling really guilty about the chippie tea and BG rise -so it was on my mind to do it if my BS were high this morning, however, I was very lucky it hasn't affected me today at all - must have been all the hours I walked yesterday - possibly walked the extra carbs off or just lucky for once.

AM - Mug of earl grey and double cream and also glasses of water.

Dinner at 4pm today - I have to admit I did feel a tad hungry at this point as hadn't had any food for 24 hours - so had... chicken with nandos piri piri garlic sauce and a large salad. SF jelly and extra thick double cream. I will do OMAD again - I think 1st time is probably the hardest and I think it was probably just the thought of being hungry in my mind rather than being really hungry

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did my first OMAD today (I had thought about it yesterday after feeling really guilty about the chippie tea and BG rise -so it was on my mind to do it if my BS were high this morning, however, I was very lucky it hasn't affected me today at all - must have been all the hours I walked yesterday - possibly walked the extra carbs off or just lucky for once.

AM - Mug of earl grey and double cream and also glasses of water.

Dinner at 4pm today - I have to admit I did feel a tad hungry at this point as hadn't had any food for 24 hours - so had... chicken with nandos piri piri garlic sauce and a large salad. SF jelly and extra thick double cream. I will do OMAD again - I think 1st time is probably the hardest and I think it was probably just the thought of being hungry in my mind rather than being really hungry

You know sometimes I think eating can spark hunger. Sounds weird but on the train this morning I was perfectly happy not eating when I thought all that was on offer was porridge or fruit or a pastry. Mention the word bacon, eat one slice and suddenly I needed more once home. The mind is a very powerful thing.

Your dinner sounds good.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breaky was 4 rashers of streaky bacon, 2 eggs, and 3 fried mushrooms.... 2.5g carbs.

Had lunch today, the first for a couple of weeks. Nothing exciting just several slices of cucumber, and shared a 140g tin of 'no drain' tuna with my husband.

Now dinner was really EXCITING! It was slices of roast beef from a couple days ago, I made gravy with stock from the weekend joint with a teaspoon of cornflour. Beef and gravy went into a foil covered dish and heated in the oven. Creamed cauli with sprigs of broccoli made up dinner (10.4g carbs).

Here's the exciting bit.... it wasn't until I'd eaten half my dinner when I realised there was a dead earwig in my gravy :oops:. I just removed it telling my husband it was a fly... but I was enjoying dinner too much, it was too nice I'm afraid to give it to the dog! I did feel guilty though, and now I don't feel too well just thinking about it.:hungover:

Think the earwig must have fell from the nearby tree, through an open kitchen window into a jug of cooling stock that was on the kitchen top! :arghh:

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

forgot breakfast
L: one of those olive, feta garlic cube packs and some Lindt
D: will be coronation chicken

have just spent a v pleasant half hour in the garden watering dogs and plants with the hose. Do you think the dogs will ever learn to associate their silly unnecessary barking with the ‘jet’ setting?

@zauberflote good to have you back! Sorry about your Mum, hernia and op, delighted about grandson, house move and return here. Have a hug.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to break my low carb regime tonight as an experiment. I made a paella, which involved 125g of basmati rice in my portion, equating to 30g of carbs in one hit. It's taken me from a 5.5 to an 8.2 (double-checked both to be on the safe side) so clearly it's a big no-no in future. Certainly in that quantity. The figure's still below the recommended limit of 8.5 for a diabetic, but too close for comfort, for my liking.

It was quite a bit larger than a normal meal for me, these days. I might try it again, but halving the quantity of rice.

I suppose I need to update my signature, now :banghead:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Raspberry phd bar.
No Lunch as such, just a handful of pecans on the go.
Dinner: did the roast that should have been last night, was still way to hot to be slaving over a hot stove but didn’t want the chicken to go out of date! So roast chicken, one tiny roast potato with mixed veggies and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi all! I wrote a post yesterday telling my life story and it's been eaten by the aether! So-- a pic. Blanket by Mom. Flax crisps and soy with bfast. Not going to write any more until I see if this posts! xxoo to all!!!
IMG_2066.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Yay Zauberflote. It’s so good to see you. I’m not surprised you’ve not had time to post with all you’ve had going on. So sorry to hear about your mum, but many congrats on becoming a granny, successful surgery, moving house and ‘eating more of the right things’.

Well... what I should have said was, "continuing to eat only the right things, while eating too much of said right things". Cherry tomatoes are a big thing now, where they should only be in moderation, for example! But where it really went wrong is the sweets added in. Sigh.

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to break my low carb regime tonight as an experiment. I made a paella, which involved 125g of basmati rice in my portion, equating to 30g of carbs in one hit. It's taken me from a 5.5 to an 8.2 (double-checked both to be on the safe side) so clearly it's a big no-no in future. Certainly in that quantity. The figure's still below the recommended limit of 8.5 for a diabetic, but too close for comfort, for my liking.

It was quite a bit larger than a normal meal for me, these days. I might try it again, but halving the quantity of rice.

I suppose I need to update my signature, now :banghead:

Nicole, when I'm on my own, I sometimes do what I call a pretendy paella. I create all the flavours - chorizo, prawns, chicken or pork, and let the flavours get all joined up, then I turn the heat up and add cauli rice. Keep turning it, a bit like a stir-fry (I usually do it in a wok, as opposed to a paellera), then as soon as the cauli is yellowed and heated through, I serve.

It's not exactly like paella, because there isn't the theatre of the dish, but it is a great approximation, and very low carb friendly..

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
l:
Berry bake is a new (to me) recipe from the keto fitness club website.
Basically 100g or so of fresh or frozen berries into the base of an oven dish with a little sweetener. I used frozen blackcurrants and redcurrants, nice and tart. Topping was 200-250 ff cream cheese mixed with 150g soured cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice, 15g sweetner and 2 eggs. beat well and pour over fruit. Bake in moderate oven 30-40 minutes. Will rise a bit and sink back. We had it cold next day but think it would be OK warm.
Very tasty and not too sweet. Looked pretty as the juices bubbled through. Will become a regular methinks.
Hi MrsA2-- do you have this on CopyMeThat? Or do you have a link? I'd like to try flax in the topping...

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
breakfast - muesli and ss milk
lunch: diced tomato, cucumber, celery, spring inion, lettuce, grated carrot, tiny amount if grated cheese. Sprinkling of black pepper & chilli flake
dinner - steak, green veg and mushroom plus mustard (usually I season steak with a lot of salt and pepper, it didn't taste so good without salt).

I eat this kind of lunch a lot and really enjoyed it.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nicole, when I'm on my own, I sometimes do what I call a pretendy paella. I create all the flavours - chorizo, prawns, chicken or pork, and let the flavours get all joined up, then I turn the heat up and add cauli rice. Keep turning it, a bit like a stir-fry (I usually do it in a wok, as opposed to a paellera), then as soon as the cauli is yellowed and heated through, I serve.

It's not exactly like paella, because there isn't the theatre of the dish, but it is a great approximation, and very low carb friendly..
Thanks. That sounds like a great idea, and I'll give it a shot. I'm feeding my son at the moment, though, and he got sick of 'weird food' when my ex started dabbling with keto.

I'll also try this again, but sharing 150g of rice between two of us instead of 250g. If I still put the full 250g of fish and/or meat in it, I think it'll still be a satisfying meal. Though, somewhat surprisingly, there's 3.8g of carbs per 100g in the seafood mix that I'm using. I thought that would be a freebie. So it's more like 35g of carbs I've had in one hit, and I'd be lowering it to about 23g. I think that'd keep me below the magical 2 mmol/L increase.

I was back down to 6.8, 3 hours after the meal, so I don't think it's hit me that badly. I'm not going to waste another strip, testing again, tonight. I'll just see if it's reflected in my morning reading.