Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. I've walked the dog until we both reached melting point, which took very little time. I'm now trying to figure out what to do today without frying myself. I don't cope well with heat and it seriously messes with my bgs. However, I'm lucky enough to live in a very old stone cottage, which means that downstairs at least, if I keep the doors and windows shut, it's actually cool. Upstairs doesn't fare so well, but it's much improved since I had the loft stuffed with insulation when I had it re-roofed a couple of years ago. If I keep my windows shut and curtains closed until it's dark, then throw the windows open it usually cools down enough to be sleepable if I leave the windows open.

I feel so sorry for anyone having to use public transport or go and work outside, or inside in non-air-conditioned places, or doing physical work. Sending you cool waves from Somerset and hoping you have at the least a bearable day.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My Bg's have been doing great and so have my dogs lol...............the only thing is DP will kick up a couple of nights and then stop, if I change my pump settings it never fails it stops. So I am waking to a higher number off and on, but it's when I am asleep and I like my sleep, So I am not caring. I have chosen a high alert setting for night. 10mmol (180). Whatever.........................lol!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning :) I'm making the most of the weather and doing a bit in the garden at the moment although painting a wall and bits of the rabbit was hard work with the paint drying quickly, I'm having a few issues with tech still which is frustrating :banghead: but all in all my bloods are ok when I finger prick, (a few low hypos showing when I'm in the mid 4's) just the alarms are annoying and more so if I leave nightscout up on the pc if using YouTube for music as it's a horrid sound played at music volume...

The theme for today of course is staying hydrated ;)

Edit, I did a little giggle at my paper repeat prescription form as after nearly 36 years I've had 'ketosticks' added to the list and an instruction to use them if ill, so I'm glad my local surgery is on the ball :woot::woot::woot:

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting re the Ketosticks @kev-w after a bout of bad sickness the doctor in A&E told me I should only be using blood ketone strips now. When I rang my clinic I had a monitor and sticks sorted within minutes with the advise to use judiciously so as not to upset my GP!
Why are you painting the rabbit?

Reactions: Marie 2

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Has anyone seen Robinredbreast around recently?

Seen a post on another thread yesterday.

Good afternoon all. Well insulin is like water today just had a small (115g) lunch and an ice lolly and my bloods are at 15.8 and climbing. 5.8u of IOB GRRRRR!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rose22

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting re the Ketosticks @kev-w after a bout of bad sickness the doctor in A&E told me I should only be using blood ketone strips now. When I rang my clinic I had a monitor and sticks sorted within minutes with the advise to use judiciously so as not to upset my GP!
Why are you painting the rabbit?
I've no idea about ketones tbh and have never had a way of testing for them, I work to keep my bloods down by default preferring to eat to correct as opposed to injecting, as for the rabbit :p he had to come rub his chin on the freshly painted wall, first time I caught him and washed him before he ran off and hid in a huff so must have done it again when I'd come inside.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please let it rain! My blood sugars aren’t playing ball in this weather, with very broken sleep and insulin seeming to just evaporate in my body rather than work efficiently, I’m seeing high numbers. Really annoying when carb counted and then see 16.5 or 14.2 etc. It’s too hot!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've no idea about ketones tbh and have never had a way of testing for them, I work to keep my bloods down by default preferring to eat to correct as opposed to injecting, as for the rabbit :p he had to come rub his chin on the freshly painted wall, first time I caught him and washed him before he ran off and hid in a huff so must have done it again when I'd come inside.

Rabbit-hilarious!
Re ketones, I have only had to test on one occasion since diagnosis 6 years ago. I was very ill with a sick bug. High blood sugars and raised ketones on the urine strip. In that case it is very important to take much more insulin, even if unable to eat. I still ended up in A&E, and the inference was in these cases it is important to have access to blood ketone testing for accuracy. Which I now have. I have still not opened the packet and hopefully those kinds of illness will be few and far between.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning enjoy your day everyone
FB_IMG_1597228111899.jpg

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I believe my GP got thoroughly told off for not checking me for ketones in the aftermath of the referral to the clinic and subsequent re-diagnosis to LADA from Type 2 as it might have speeded the process up slightly. I had a pre-booked appointment with my GP after my first clinic appointment when I arrived with bloods in the 20s (where they'd been for some time) and ketones of 5.4 which had the entire place in uproar! Nurses wanting to hospitalise me on the spot, consultant agreed I'd been living with high levels for a while and still seemed OK, ("Why are you still on your feet and not feeling ill?!) but only let me out with promises to check ketones daily and go straight to A+E if I went outside various parameters or felt at all unwell.

So, when I kept my pre-arranged appointment a few days later not only did the poor lad hurtle out to collect me from the waiting room, (excellent manners this one has) utterly delighted to see I was on my feet, and perfectly OK about it all, there was a bit of wailing about "Why didn't I think of ketones?! I'll never forget that again." I didn't have the heart to say I'd thought of them, as all the support work I do with T1 students had that drilled into me for them, but as I was low carbing strictly at the time I knew that would skew it all. I did say I did not blame him in the slightest, as he at least had agreed with me that T1/LADA was looking more and more likely as I was doing everything possible and sensible for a T2 and it clearly wasn't working.

Oh well, I'm alive and kicking and there's a more aware GP out there. It's all good. Apart from the fact this one is no longer my GP. That has me wailing.

Several of my T1 friends who've lived with this longer think much the same about ketones (including Young Vampire - who hates it when I declare we've got to check). Think it's those of us more recently diagnosed who get handed all the kit on diagnosis who may be more inclined to check them.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
I've had the same bg thing as @Rose22, jiggling all over the place. I test my ketones once in a while just in case................. and also for a laugh to see if I'm in ketosis!
30th wedding celebrations were fun, walked our socks off along the south coast path with stunning views and very few people. Fizz, fries but no cake but a lovely Cornish icecream. BG had fun. The drive back was hot but at least we got back before the thunder and rain.
I love the rabbit story @kev-w
Feels like Friday

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning! Lovely straight low line on the Libre all night. Injected, got out of bed to make brekkie and put some rubbish in bin before bin men empty. Back upstairs with breakfast tray (we always sit in bed and eat) Libre reading jumped and heading for the sky. Just love foot on the floor.
Off to parents today and staying overnight. First night away since February. Happy!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, doesn't that foot on the floor just make you grrrr @becca59. I still finger prick so I don't get to check it unless I'm driving. Enjoy the weekend away, we did. The first since March, we loved seeing different skies for one thing.
BG this morning a cheery 4.7, no doubt it's 7 or something now.
Have a dry weekend.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely straight low line on the Libre all night. Injected, got out of bed to make brekkie and put some rubbish in bin before bin men empty. Back upstairs with breakfast tray (we always sit in bed and eat) Libre reading jumped and heading for the sky. Just love foot on the floor.
This was the main reason I asked to be switched to Fiasp from Novorapid. On Novorapid I first rose for a couple of hours after getting out of bed before slowly dropping again, so very annoying, especially when it ruins a nice straight sleeping line.
On Fiasp my Libre usually shows only a very little and short lived bump after getting up.

Fiasp doesn't seem to be working this well for everyone, but it may be worth looking into.

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1