Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Argh I forgot to reduce basal again for the night after snorkeling. Because I am snorkeling longer I guess I am having more of a issue of rebound after and dropping during the night. So alerts starting at 2 am, drank some oj, did a temp reduction in my basal rate, but only for a half hour. So of course a couple of hours later alert going off again, repeat. It took me the third time to realize what was going on.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: kev-w

Xal

Hey all - but of a while since I have been on the site. I think I mentioned I lost my job due to Covid & employer not really liking my new diagnosis of TID ( I am sure they would tell you it was due to something else). Good news is I found another job - albeit only for a year. I learnt in the recruitment/interview process not to disclose that I was T1D. I haven’t had T1D for long - less than a year- but it didn’t take long for me to realise that there is a lot of misunderstanding and prejudice against those with chronic diseases. I have no intention of informing my new employer that I have T1D. Has anyone else been subjected to this sort of *****?

On another note I went to visit friends in France and had a fun race to get back today to avoid quarantine....luckily I made it!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
While it's not supposed to matter if you have type 1 diabetes, and they aren't allowed to discriminate, and you could go after them if you can prove it. Employers by law have to make allowances when they hire someone that has type 1. This can cause more expense, can make other employees unhappy that you get something they don't, or even just more of a hassle to the employer to make certain allowances etc. I have a feeling it might be common to just move on in the interview process to someone else, especially if they had issues in the past.

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Already been on Fiasp for nearly 2 years. Ironically it has improved things massively, but still doesn’t stop that foot on floor from leaping up. I get the same thing when up to the loo in the night. My body things it is getting up and goes into overdrive.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw, that's too bad, @becca59 . Wish it would work as well for you as it does for me for foot on the floor.
For myself I'd like it to work quick enough for carby breakfasts, I'd love to be able to start my day with a fresh slice of bread every once in a while without spiking but I'm afraid it's simply impossible for me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all - but of a while since I have been on the site. I think I mentioned I lost my job due to Covid & employer not really liking my new diagnosis of TID ( I am sure they would tell you it was due to something else). Good news is I found another job - albeit only for a year. I learnt in the recruitment/interview process not to disclose that I was T1D. I haven’t had T1D for long - less than a year- but it didn’t take long for me to realise that there is a lot of misunderstanding and prejudice against those with chronic diseases. I have no intention of informing my new employer that I have T1D. Has anyone else been subjected to this sort of *****?

On another note I went to visit friends in France and had a fun race to get back today to avoid quarantine....luckily I made it!
@Xal whilst I fully understand your reasons if you completed a medical questionnaire and did not disclose your T1D you may be considered as being distrustful by your employer when/if they find out as you have effectively lied to them. It is also in your best interest should you have a hypo or diabetes related problem at work so that your employer and colleagues know what to look for particularly if you are rendered incapable of telling anyone what the issue is.

Reactions: Rose22

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw, that's too bad, @becca59 . Wish it would work as well for you as it does for me for foot on the floor.
For myself I'd like it to work quick enough for carby breakfasts, I'd love to be able to start my day with a fresh slice of bread every once in a while without spiking but I'm afraid it's simply impossible for me.

Impossible for me too. Stick to my 10 carb raspberries and Greek yoghurt combo. As it is I need triple the amount of insulin for that, Than I would have to take if eating in the evening.
To be fair the Fiasp has improved things, in that I don’t need to wait an hour to eat my breakfast.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Me too, I just skip breakfast nowadays. It's too hard to try to control any food. Sometimes I go too low, usually because I do a correction but my extra basal is kicking in too and I don't allow enough for the combo. I'll eat just 4 carbs and skyrocket 50 points. So it's easier just to skip eating before 11:00 am.

Reactions: ert and Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, nice to wake up to it not raining today. Not complaining about the rain we've had; you could almost hear the ground sucking it up, and plants that were drooping have put their heads up again.

Had visitors over the weekend, social distancing staying up the garden and just meeting outside, but very good to see them. Out and about yesterday with a friend with whom I'm in a bubble; first time I've been in a car with someone else since March, almost felt normal till we got to a shop and had to mask up.

Bgs by and large behaving now the weather's not so hot, so that's good. I'd like some breaks in the rain so I can get outside as there's such a lot to do at the moment, but I couldn't do that when it was at its hottest so I'm no worse off in that respect, and a lot more comfortable. Hope you're all having a good weekend and doing something you enjoy.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, clear skies and a little peep of sunshine too in Oxford @hh1 . I need to get out in the garden to attack the bindweed and with a bit of luck pick some blackberries. Before going away, I made some blackberry vodka ........... ready in 12 weeks.
BG 4.7 but will surely be on its way skyward now
Exam marking continues!

Xal

@Xal whilst I fully understand your reasons if you completed a medical questionnaire and did not disclose your T1D you may be considered as being distrustful by your employer when/if they find out as you have effectively lied to them. It is also in your best interest should you have a hypo or diabetes related problem at work so that your employer and colleagues know what to look for particularly if you are rendered incapable of telling anyone what the issue is.

@Daphne917 - thank you for your sound advice. I did disclose on the occ health forms as I honestly did not wish to hide it from my new employer for all the reasons you highlighted. I will have to figure out the best approach for a discussion with my manager. Can’t say I am looking forward to that.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daphne917 - thank you for your sound advice. I did disclose on the occ health forms as I honestly did not wish to hide it from my new employer for all the reasons you highlighted. I will have to figure out the best approach for a discussion with my manager. Can’t say I am looking forward to that.
@Xal apologies as I read your post to mean that you hadn’t disclosed it at all. Hopefully your discussion with your new manager (well done on finding a new job BTW) will go ok - you are probably not the only person that she/he has come across with a chronic condition and should be willing to accommodate your need for appointments etc. I have 2 people whom I line manage and one of them has a chronic condition which requires regular injections and check ups. She tells me what dates they are and we manage her work accordingly.

Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning have a good day everyone
FB_IMG_1597513629049.jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all. Got my big boy long trousers on today instead of shorts
Bloods behaving.
@becca59 and @Antje77 Fiasp used to work really quickly for me when I 1st started a few years ago BUT it has slowed down a bit now, don't get me wrong it is still much quicker that NovoSluggish......oh I could do without my carby breakfast to get me ready for the day :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Me too, I just skip breakfast nowadays. It's too hard to try to control any food. Sometimes I go too low, usually because I do a correction but my extra basal is kicking in too and I don't allow enough for the combo. I'll eat just 4 carbs and skyrocket 50 points. So it's easier just to skip eating before 11:00 am.
Interesting. I skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3 pm to avoid the break-fast effect.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Cumberland. Nice to see you. How are you doing? Really miss your regular posts. Would be good to see you more often again on this thread. You gave a lot of us very helpful information.

Reactions: Cumberland

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely cannot do without breakfast. Used to eat shredded wheat and milk. But now have 80g raspberries and 100g Greek Yoghurt it comes out at 10 carbs. Have always needed breakfast throughout my life. I have given up many things since diagnosis. But breakfast is non negotiable.