Type 1'stars R Us

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, just 8 miles cycled yesterday but it's a start :) so another ride today should set me up ready to go back to the gym on Monday as it's been a while :banghead:

4.8 waking with a spike to 9 in the early hours for an hour and a carb change coming for breakfast, 3 Weetabix instead of the standard porridge for my first course so a whole unit less for the bolus I think although I'll be confused at bedtime later having had supper for breakfast...

Edit, 14.72 miles in 1 hour 27, 7 dextrotabs :p and a drop to 4.2 landing back home so I'll have earned the old Indian curry tonight :) :p

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w are the pools open your way yet. Just received regulations for reopening of ours 12 August. Though not my local one. Feel exhausted just reading them, will be a while before I dip my toe in.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w are the pools open your way yet. Just received regulations for reopening of ours 12 August. Though not my local one. Feel exhausted just reading them, will be a while before I dip my toe in.

Hi @becca59, my local pool/sports centre's been open a fortnight today, there's lots of regulations and pre booking, I'm holding fire for a bit whilst I see what outbreaks start occurring in gyms, for me a swim should be 'safe' as I'm near enough to go in shorts with a dressing gown on, but in the meantime will get a little fitness back riding, I've done 'nowt' for a few weeks and todays ride is reminding me of that :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Quiet here today and my Bg levels have been behaving themselves, never over 6.4 for the day. Which means I am going to have to eat something to ride my exercise bike. It always bugs me to have to eat something to exercise. But at least I will make it something that's a treat I think.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
Not bad bg for the drive to Looe, it should take about 4 hrs with breaks

Reactions: Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am becoming increasingly weary of my body's stubborn refusal to follow text book glucose management rules. Entering the lockdown period I needed a lot less insulin than normal and was unsure why given lower levels of activity than the days b.c (before covid, not to be confused with upper case B.C. - Before Cleese, for fellow Python fans).

Ventured out with Mrs Urb yesterday evening to a Greek restaurant we know. First meal out since the b.c days and Mrs Urb was initially worried but she relaxed when she saw a good level of social distancing in the restaurant although we noticed that only half the staff were wearing masks.

Starter was shared Pitta bread and olives, Mrs Urb had Pork Souvlaki for her main dish whilst I opted for something that was glorified chicken and chips but I enjoyed it none the less. It was a carby meal and potato is my nemesis so I was feeling quite smug at the 2hr mark to discover that my glucose level was 5.3mmol (also after a walk along the seafront).

I was decidedly less smug at the 5hr mark and not long before bed to discover I was up at 12.8mmol ! Took a further 4u of rapid expecting to wake up this morning around the 6mmol mark but NO, diabetes had other ideas. I had risen even further to 15.8mmol, didn't believe it so checked on a different finger and got 14.0mmol (drat !). Had a croissant for breakfast, 9 units of rapid and a 40 minute walk and I can now feel myself on the verge of going hypo again at 4.1mmol.

T1 is driving me crazy. Loving the walks along the coast with these warm summer evenings and mornings though.

Stay safe folks.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am becoming increasingly weary of my body's stubborn refusal to follow text book glucose management rules. Entering the lockdown period I needed a lot less insulin than normal and was unsure why given lower levels of activity than the days b.c (before covid, not to be confused with upper case B.C. - Before Cleese, for fellow Python fans).

Ventured out with Mrs Urb yesterday evening to a Greek restaurant we know. First meal out since the b.c days and Mrs Urb was initially worried but relaxed when she saw a good level of social distancing in the restaurant although we noticed that only half the staff were wearing masks.

Starter was shared Pitta bread and olives, Mrs Urb had Pork Souvlaki for her main dish whilst I opted for something that was glorified chicken and chips but I enjoyed none the less. It was a carby meal and potato is my nemesis so I was feeling quite smug at the 2hr mark to discover that my glucose level was 5.3mmol (also after a walk along the seafront).

I was decidedly less smug at the 5hr mark and not long before bed to discover I was up at 12.8mmol ! Took a further 4u of rapid expecting to wake up this morning around the 6mmol mark but NO, diabetes had other ideas. I had risen even further to 15.8mmol, didn't believe it so checked on a different finger and got 14.0mmol (drat !). Had a croissant for breakfast, 9 units of rapid and a 40 minute walk and I can now feel myself on the verge of going hypo again at 4.1mmol.

T1 is driving me crazy. Loving the walks along the coast with these warm summer evenings and mornings though.

Stay safe folks.

Hi,

Now it odd you mention Python. I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days doing a new job on the coast. (Starting Monday.)
The actual birthplace of JC the "comedy messiah" himself? (John Cleese.)

I've no plan to change my basal for tomorrow. I just hope I don't spend the day doing silly walks & shouting "no no, not the comfy chair..?"

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, sunshine streaming in here. Awaiting the impending thunderstorms and flooding. If the forecasts are correct.

Reactions: kev-w and porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon, all!

Not a lot to say so I've not said it. I've made up the spare bed for my holiday companion, got the packing started (sort of... ) and the lists are done, so it does look as if I really am going on holiday.

So, off I toddled for some of the things my holiday companion prefers to eat which don't feature in a Japes' world usually - however, Aldi seems to be majoring on gluten-free stuff this week, so I had the biggest store cupboard stock up for myself since before lockdown began. I'm not coeliac, but I do significantly better on gluten-free grains when I am feeling that way inclined. However, when there were all-round shortages, I didn't keep my gluten-free stocks up, so my supplies were rock bottom!

Also accepted the lockdown weight gain, which is shifting but not fast enough, means I'm still not good in the pre-lockdown jeans, so got some new ones and some t-shirts for holiday attire. I'm not too despondent about it all as I do know it will shift once I'm back in much more usual routines and it's going in the right direction.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still beautiful weather and no storms here. In fact best weather of the last 4 days.
Are you going on holiday in this country @Japes?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still beautiful weather and no storms here. In fact best weather of the last 4 days.
Are you going on holiday in this country @Japes?

No, Scotland. It's also the fortnight between the return of Scottish schools and English schools which I really like. I love my job and my students but I also love going away on holiday when it's term time! This is the perfect solution to that conundrum.

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, Scotland. It's also the fortnight between the return of Scottish schools and English schools which I really like. I love my job and my students but I also love going away on holiday when it's term time! This is the perfect solution to that conundrum.

Yes I worked in schools pre retirement, and we always took the Whit bank holiday week in The borders, as they didn’t have either the bank holiday or a week off school. Perfect! Cheaper and quieter, a win win. Enjoy!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, sooooo humid here today it's not nice. Had a very busy week last week, highlight of which was meeting a really good friend who lives near Oxford so we're a good way apart. Met in Hampshire at a country house/garden and I thought I was going to expire it was so hot. Then an accident on the A303 (which I avoided as much as possible because it was Friday and in summer the 303's to be avoided westbound at all costs) meant I diverted before I got stuck in the queue but my journey home was an extra 45 minutes.

@urbanracer I wonder if it's unnoticed stress of aspects of work which could mean less insulin? assuming things have altered for you workwise. My biggest problem is getting insulin right in hot weather, I seem to be adjusting non-stop at the moment. And predicting activity's difficult - I plan to do something then it's just too hot for me, so I need more insulin, or I do something and it's hotter than I thought and I hypo - I agree, bored with it all.

Despite all that, hope you all have a good day!

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just finished the diabetes side of the packing. Dear me... I used to be great at packing for a fortnight half an hour before being due to leave the house. Now it seems to take so much more effort!!

Reactions: Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@urbanracer I wonder if it's unnoticed stress of aspects of work which could mean less insulin? assuming things have altered for you workwise. My biggest problem is getting insulin right in hot weather, I seem to be adjusting non-stop at the moment. And predicting activity's difficult - I plan to do something then it's just too hot for me, so I need more insulin, or I do something and it's hotter than I thought and I hypo - I agree, bored with it all.

I did consider stress - especially the change of commute from 1-1/2hrs of nose to tail driving, to a 10 second walk from the bedroom to the lounge office.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2