Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Catching escaped goats after injecting rather generously for your beer but before drinking it may result in a horribly sweaty 2.8.
Yuck.
But goats are safely back home (for now...) and bg is above 6 again at the least, did a bit of panic eating.
Neighbour who warned me of my escaped goats wanted to take a picture of me in my front door. Didn't want to disappoint her and now I'm amazed at how it isn't obvious from the picture how horrible I'm feeling at 2.8. No wonder she didn't really get it when I told her she had to hurry with her picture as I had to sit down and eat!

118086423_10221595018339129_2014349367794369250_o.jpg

(Hi Antje, are those escaped from your garden?)

117990527_10221594991578460_3647706464178970386_o.jpg

Love the reflection from the potato fields in the window!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 No lol, if you’re not type 1 I’m not sure you ever completely get it?

It would have been nice for the goats to time their escape until after your beer, it would be a lot more fun catching them when you've had a drink and many more picture taking opportunities!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It would have been nice for the goats to time their escape until after your beer, it would be a lot more fun catching them when you've had a drink and many more picture taking opportunities!
I'd love a drunk goat-catching party! Sounds like great fun with hilarious pictures!

Reactions: Marie 2

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, bad start waking with a 12 something as I took the young un for a pub carvery last night where 'they' serve you your food and I think we overdid the roast spuds :) and it's possible the parsnips were honey glazed ( I can't remember the taste of honey :p ). I did my first journey yesterday too, a 90 mile round trip for a 2nd hand eBay window for the outside bog :)

Breakfast has taken a while today but a day without a bowl of porridge isn't the same as one with porridge so I've waited my bloods down after injecting with an added correction (90 minutes) to eat :) now it's the whether I'll get away with a slice of wholemeal bread with my scrambled eggs.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up v early to walk the dog before taking the car in for service. Didn't really want to but I need to keep the servicing up to date to keep the warranty and I'd already delayed it. Also a bit nervous about having a courtesy car but I've no alternative. The garage is 15 miles away so I'd have to wait in the showroom with other people for at least three hours, or wander round a village with about six shops, or to walk aimlessly for that long. Wouldn't be so bad with the dog, but she hates the car and I don't really want to take her to the garage.

So home now and planning some time in the garden weather permitting. @Antje77 did your goats come back willingly? I'm pretty wary of goats - well, most livestock really, having been pursued by a very grumpy sheep - and not sure I'd know how to lure them home. Great story, though I reckon @Marie 2 was right that it'd have been more fun after a beer or six :hilarious:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all...

@hh1 how young is the car? By law you only have to have the very first service done at the Main Stealers Dealers. As long as you take the car to a VAT registered garage and they use OE parts it does not affect the warranty.

Reactions: kev-w and karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 did your goats come back willingly? I'm pretty wary of goats - well, most livestock really, having been pursued by a very grumpy sheep - and not sure I'd know how to lure them home.
No problem!
When I got them it was a pretty big fight to get them from my car (a modest Citroën C3) to their pen, so I started right away with letting them know they could either eat the yummy dry goat kibble from my hand or they could make do with hay and whatever grows in my garden.
I always accompany the feeding with rattling the container I use, so the hardest part of getting them back where they belong was trying not to trip over them when walking back, as they tried to get to the container :)

(Picture because I think it's so funny we drove over an hour with 2 goats in the back of my car :hilarious:)
97998824_10220802605009291_7871612014802501632_o.jpg

Reactions: Clivethedrive

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all...

@hh1 how young is the car? By law you only have to have the very first service done at the Main Stealers Dealers. As long as you take the car to a VAT registered garage and they use OE parts it does not affect the warranty.
Hi Paul, thanks for this, it's a Kia which I bought as an ex-demo so it started with nearly 7 years' warranty. Are you saying that I can take it to any garage at all that's VAT registered and if they only use Kia parts the warranty will hold good? I've taken it to the dealers for the first three services as they had a really good deal if I paid for those when I bought the car. From now on, I'd be happy to go elsewhere.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem!
When I got them it was a pretty big fight to get them from my car (a modest Citroën C3) to their pen, so I started right away with letting them know they could either eat the yummy dry goat kibble from my hand or they could make do with hay and whatever grows in my garden.
I always accompany the feeding with rattling the container I use, so the hardest part of getting them back where they belong was trying not to trip over them when walking back, as they tried to get to the container :)

(Picture because I think it's so funny we drove over an hour with 2 goats in the back of my car :hilarious:)
97998824_10220802605009291_7871612014802501632_o.jpg
Hi Antje, I remember that pic from when you got them! I just wondered if you had some special secret so I could try it on my pup, who comes back on her own terms if we're out and about, hence walking her on a long line as I don't want to be chasing her during social distancing (or at any time, actually!)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi Paul, thanks for this, it's a Kia which I bought as an ex-demo so it started with nearly 7 years' warranty. Are you saying that I can take it to any garage at all that's VAT registered and if they only use Kia parts the warranty will hold good? I've taken it to the dealers for the first three services as they had a really good deal if I paid for those when I bought the car. From now on, I'd be happy to go elsewhere.

That is correct. They would have to follow the relevant Autodata service schedules. The Main Dealers cannot monopolies the service industry. Mercedes were taken to court over it a fair few years ago and they lost. We do a fair few services on 2 - 3 year old vehicles where I work

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wondered if you had some special secret so I could try it on my pup, who comes back on her own terms if we're out and about, hence walking her on a long line as I don't want to be chasing her during social distancing (or at any time, actually!)
I've heard people use treats successfully for training pups as well, but this is only hearsay. With my dogs I tend to just wait until they think it's time to come back :facepalm:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is correct. They would have to follow the relevant Autodata service schedules. The Main Dealers cannot monopolies the service industry. Mercedes were taken to court over it a fair few years ago and they lost. We do a fair few services on 2 - 3 year old vehicles where I work
Thanks Paul that's really helpful. I'll be looking for a new garage next year! This site just gets more and more helpful :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard people use treats successfully for training pups as well, but this is only hearsay. With my dogs I tend to just wait until they think it's time to come back :facepalm:
Believe me, she's had a lot of training using treats, much of which has worked. However - if she gets the scent of a rabbit or deer, or sees birds on the ground that she'd like to chase, her food switch is firmly turned off and nothing brings her back until she's ready. I don't want her running all over the countryside and I don't want her chasing deer, so until I can get over this particular hurdle, she's on a lead. I'm lucky to have a big enough garden for her to run in, plus I take her to an enclosed area from time to time where she can run free. Adorable pup, just not learnt to come back yet....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks Paul that's really helpful. I'll be looking for a new garage next year! This site just gets more and more helpful :)

Main dealers will hold you for ransom on their servicing (which is NOT cheap). As long as the garage you take it to is VAT registered, uses main dealer parts.....ask them to put the part numbers on your invoice and they use Autodata to tell them what type of service is required then Bobs your Uncle

Reactions: Japes

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Believe me, she's had a lot of training using treats, much of which has worked. However - if she gets the scent of a rabbit or deer, or sees birds on the ground that she'd like to chase, her food switch is firmly turned off and nothing brings her back until she's ready. I don't want her running all over the countryside and I don't want her chasing deer, so until I can get over this particular hurdle, she's on a lead. I'm lucky to have a big enough garden for her to run in, plus I take her to an enclosed area from time to time where she can run free. Adorable pup, just not learnt to come back yet....
My 18-month-old spaniel mostly comes back. She's got her KC bronze good citizen certificate. There are always recall exceptions that I have to be prepared for. I was going to sign her up for an extra agility class but it was stated that participants needed to have 100% recall. Wow. She's good but she's only (human), well pup.
But she's great for BS control as she frequently gets me out of the house.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Main dealers will hold you for ransom on their servicing (which is NOT cheap). As long as the garage you take it to is VAT registered, uses main dealer parts.....ask them to put the part numbers on your invoice and they use Autodata to tell them what type of service is required then Bobs your Uncle
Thanks again Paul, I'm on to this for next year. For the umpteenth time they called to say the car would be ready by the time I went to pick it up and I still had to wait half an hour. Sounds a minor thing but when it keeps happening..... Anyway, I'm really grateful to you.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 18-month-old spaniel mostly comes back. She's got her KC bronze good citizen certificate. There are always recall exceptions that I have to be prepared for. I was going to sign her up for an extra agility class but it was stated that participants needed to have 100% recall. Wow. She's good but she's only (human), well pup.
But she's great for BS control as she frequently gets me out of the house.
My pup's 14 months now, she's a German Shorthaired Pointer and they're known not to mature fully till they're at least two. Nevertheless I'd like to have a bit more control than I do. As a breed, they don't have the same desire to please humans that spaniels tend to, which does make them harder work. Big generalisations, though a fair bit of evidence for them I think.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 , @ert ,

I lost my 18 year old Cairn terrier at the start of last June. (Without going into detail. It wasn't pretty.)
I never planned on a dog he never planned on having a me... Do breeds have traits.? I would like to think not.
Tends to become a bit of a "stereotype."

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Dogs breeds definitely do have traits, but it can vary with each dog, You could have a Brittany that wants to chase everything like mine did and it's almost impossible to stop them as it's their purpose in life and common to the breed. But you can still get the random ones that don't care. My Brittany used to sit for hours where ever she saw a lizard. For days even, until she saw it again to try to catch it. Unfortunately for me she was good at catching. I preferred to let the lizards stay lizards.