Breakfast ideas

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey.
I’m struggling to think of what to have for breakfast as at the moment I’m have bran flakes but they seem to be making my level sky rock.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ah, I used to love bran flakes, but they are very carby, and I don't deal with carbs nearly as well as I used to.

Is this a new thing that they make your levels high? Some possible reasons I can think of are
1) you are becoming insulin resistant and need to review your bolus rates
2) any T2 in your family? Have you recently gained weight? Could be that it's hard for your body to deal with that many carbs.
3) Or maybe they've always spiked you but you never realised before because now you're using a cgm and can see the levels just after you eat....

If you want an easy low carb alternative then I am a big fan of unsweeetened full fat Greek yoghurt with berries (microwave frozen ones if you don't have fresh).

And if you want to go higher carb, nutritionists always swear by porridge for T1s....

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t tolerate bran flakes either, my standard breakfast now is a mix of seeds and nuts covered with full fat Greek yogurt. It feels galling that eating something as non exciting as bran flakes is now a treat!

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to be fine I’ve also noticed when I have rice Krispy I’m going high. I think I just need to rethink my breakfast. I think I might my a selection of seed,nuts and fruit with youghut. I have gain half a stone in weight during lockdown and now I’m trying to get back on track eating healthy as I’m even using the nutra check to help me keep a track of my calories

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I struggle with what to have for breakfast and have been having bran flakes the last couple of days, but like you they also make me rather high!
Usually if I want something carby I tend to have some cream crackers with peanut butter. Chia pudding is meant to be good and low carb but I don't find it very satisfying and I find myself snacking half an hour later :bag:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I just had a hard boiled egg, a slice of smoked salmon and about ten olives, oh and coffee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Chia seed puddings are a really good low carb option for breakfast. I also love smoothie bowls, or coconut yoghurt with some berries

Best way how control carbs in take for breakfast ideal is omelettes and you can put any thing in it of your choice.

For assemble: olives, chizho ,cheese, peppers, bacon, chicken, mushrooms , ham

And it is the best way if you are high in your blood sugar levels

Reactions: Chatterbox

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge, 3 eggs 2 slices wholemeal bread for me, poached or scrambled.

Reactions: LaoDan

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey.
I’m struggling to think of what to have for breakfast as at the moment I’m have bran flakes but they seem to be making my level sky rock.
Why not have omelette with some cheese and some vegetables like I do I've lost four pounds in two weeks with this I cut my insulin down from 22 two times a day to ten twice a day

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My breakfast yesterday was sooo tasty
1 large piece of 90 second bread ( made with 2 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp milled seeds, quarter tsp baking powder, 1 egg) toasted then topped with guacamole and an egg fried in butter.

My standard gotos are greek yoghurt with milled seeds, nuts and/berries, or cold meats and cheese

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I dinny eat breakfast Very often but when I do it’s 2 eggs ( fried) bacon unsmoked grilled ! Stornoway Black pudding (2 slices) fried , mushrooms fried, bake beans microwaved, hash brown fried, 1/2 grilled tomato 2 sausage grilled and fried bread one slice .hmmmmmm hmmmmmm I know it’s a tad bad but it’s only prob once every 6 months so what the heck, I sometimes have porridge but as I said at start not a breakfast eater really oh and the fried eggs have to be able to be “dipped” hehe

Reactions: sleepster

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
My breakfast if I have any which is getting rare is Chaffles with Bacon or spinach etc added or Toast and home made sugar free strawberry or blackcurrant Jam.
Sugar free jam recipe please, if you don't mind.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I make grain free granola from nuts and seeds flavoured with different spices. There are several recipes on the internet and it's so easy to be able to grab a bowl of cereal in the morning.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What I sometimes have for breakfast:-

eggs - boiled, fried, scrambled. Omlettes with any filling/s
bacon on its own or rolled up with cheese inside (yummy)
mushrooms on their own or filled with cheese & tomato or whatever you like
Sausages - high meat ones - I love Bratwurst (I think they are german)
Kippers, sardines or mackerel (tinned for quickness is just as good)
Full fat greek yoghurt with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or nuts and seeds with double cream poured over the top
Sometimes simply slices of corned beef or ham and cheese and I usually have a cup of earl grey tea to wash it down.:)

Sandy Cooper

Hi there, my name is Sandy. I'm new here on this forum. Would someone please suggest me gluten free/ sugar free recipes to start with. Kindly suggest what foods to start with to control sugar levels?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, my name is Sandy. I'm new here on this forum. Would someone please suggest me gluten free/ sugar free recipes to start with. Kindly suggest what foods to start with to control sugar levels?
Eggs and bacon are one of the easiest.

Brokenbill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i'm not really a morning person so my breakfasts are always very simple, most mornings i'll have 2 poached eggs on 2 small slices of wholemeal toast and on the side whatever fruit/veg i have to hand (carrot sticks/celery sticks/beetroot/watermelon/strawberries). or if i am super lazy or tired i'll have sardines on wholemeal toast xD