1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by angie92, Jul 17, 2020.

1. angie92

angie92 Type 1 · Member

Hey.
    I’m struggling to think of what to have for breakfast as at the moment I’m have bran flakes but they seem to be making my level sky rock.

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, I used to love bran flakes, but they are very carby, and I don't deal with carbs nearly as well as I used to.

Is this a new thing that they make your levels high? Some possible reasons I can think of are
    1) you are becoming insulin resistant and need to review your bolus rates
    2) any T2 in your family? Have you recently gained weight? Could be that it's hard for your body to deal with that many carbs.
    3) Or maybe they've always spiked you but you never realised before because now you're using a cgm and can see the levels just after you eat....

If you want an easy low carb alternative then I am a big fan of unsweeetened full fat Greek yoghurt with berries (microwave frozen ones if you don't have fresh).

And if you want to go higher carb, nutritionists always swear by porridge for T1s....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ArtemisBow

ArtemisBow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can’t tolerate bran flakes either, my standard breakfast now is a mix of seeds and nuts covered with full fat Greek yogurt. It feels galling that eating something as non exciting as bran flakes is now a treat!

4. angie92

angie92 Type 1 · Member

I used to be fine I’ve also noticed when I have rice Krispy I’m going high. I think I just need to rethink my breakfast. I think I might my a selection of seed,nuts and fruit with youghut. I have gain half a stone in weight during lockdown and now I’m trying to get back on track eating healthy as I’m even using the nutra check to help me keep a track of my calories

5. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I struggle with what to have for breakfast and have been having bran flakes the last couple of days, but like you they also make me rather high!
    Usually if I want something carby I tend to have some cream crackers with peanut butter. Chia pudding is meant to be good and low carb but I don't find it very satisfying and I find myself snacking half an hour later :bag:

6. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just had a hard boiled egg, a slice of smoked salmon and about ten olives, oh and coffee

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Diabetic Vegan

Diabetic Vegan LADA · Member

Chia seed puddings are a really good low carb option for breakfast. I also love smoothie bowls, or coconut yoghurt with some berries

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bricklayer1989

Bricklayer1989 · Newbie

Best way how control carbs in take for breakfast ideal is omelettes and you can put any thing in it of your choice.

For assemble: olives, chizho ,cheese, peppers, bacon, chicken, mushrooms , ham

And it is the best way if you are high in your blood sugar levels

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Porridge, 3 eggs 2 slices wholemeal bread for me, poached or scrambled.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TypeZero.

TypeZero. · Well-Known Member

2 or 3 boiled egg on a small bed of spinach in the morning

11. ZESTRIL

ZESTRIL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why not have omelette with some cheese and some vegetables like I do I've lost four pounds in two weeks with this I cut my insulin down from 22 two times a day to ten twice a day

12. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My breakfast yesterday was sooo tasty
    1 large piece of 90 second bread ( made with 2 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp milled seeds, quarter tsp baking powder, 1 egg) toasted then topped with guacamole and an egg fried in butter.

My standard gotos are greek yoghurt with milled seeds, nuts and/berries, or cold meats and cheese

13. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My breakfast if I have any which is getting rare is Chaffles with Bacon or spinach etc added or Toast and home made sugar free strawberry or blackcurrant Jam.

14. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I dinny eat breakfast Very often but when I do it’s 2 eggs ( fried) bacon unsmoked grilled ! Stornoway Black pudding (2 slices) fried , mushrooms fried, bake beans microwaved, hash brown fried, 1/2 grilled tomato 2 sausage grilled and fried bread one slice .hmmmmmm hmmmmmm I know it’s a tad bad but it’s only prob once every 6 months so what the heck, I sometimes have porridge but as I said at start not a breakfast eater really oh and the fried eggs have to be able to be “dipped” hehe

• Like Like x 1
  15. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Sugar free jam recipe please, if you don't mind.

16. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I make grain free granola from nuts and seeds flavoured with different spices. There are several recipes on the internet and it's so easy to be able to grab a bowl of cereal in the morning.

17. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

What I sometimes have for breakfast:-

eggs - boiled, fried, scrambled. Omlettes with any filling/s
    bacon on its own or rolled up with cheese inside (yummy)
    mushrooms on their own or filled with cheese & tomato or whatever you like
    Sausages - high meat ones - I love Bratwurst (I think they are german)
    Kippers, sardines or mackerel (tinned for quickness is just as good)
    Full fat greek yoghurt with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or nuts and seeds with double cream poured over the top
    Sometimes simply slices of corned beef or ham and cheese and I usually have a cup of earl grey tea to wash it down.:)

18. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, was trying to find the particular youtube video I followed but couldn't find it again but its very simple.

Edit: Found it,Wasn't Youtube. Sugar free strawberry jam.

500 grams frozen Strawberry's, blackberry's etc.
    Approx 4 tbsp sweetener of choice. I use my own mixture of Eryrithritol and Stevia of about 3 to 1. powdered in a blender. Not totally necessary but I find it helps to get Erythritol to dissolve.

Place the berry's in a saucepan and on a medium to low heat and reduce the berry's to a consistency that resembles how you like your jam stirring as needed, when done stir in the sweetener to your taste. Shop bought Jam is apparently about one to one sugar, seems extreme.

If you are using fresh berry's you can add a few drops of water to the pan to stop the berry's burning before they start to soften. I personally haven't found it necessary but was mentioned in the video.
    In my experience you want to put the sweetener in once fully reduced as it has a tendency to crystallise if you put it in too early.

Place in a jar, leave it to cool and your done.

500 grams of berry's makes approx 100 grams of jam. Lasts me a week or so stored in the fridge but I'm not the only that eats it.

There are plenty of other sugar free jam recipes on youtube but this one just seemed so easy and works a treat.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #18 ZedZeeZet, Aug 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  19. Sandy Cooper

Sandy Cooper · Member

Hi there, my name is Sandy. I'm new here on this forum. Would someone please suggest me gluten free/ sugar free recipes to start with. Kindly suggest what foods to start with to control sugar levels?

20. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Eggs and bacon are one of the easiest.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook