PHE scrapped??

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see the government are trying to blame PHE for their failings. And putting yet more power and money into private companies like SERCO.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paywalls etc.
If one presses the Escape key whilst a page is loading it stops any further data being loaded..
Most paywall dialogues are displayed after the main text has already d/loaded..
F5 reloads a page.
Takes practice in the timing.
Yeah I’ve been trying that idea and it’s not working. iPads don’t have function keys, the X to halt loading doesn’t seem to have the same effect as escape

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see the government are trying to blame PHE for their failings. And putting yet more power and money into private companies like SERCO.
My thoughts were more about the relevance to food guidelines in asking if it went beyond covid issues.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I wonder if that will do the work previously done by the Threats, Hazards, Resilience and Contingency Committee (THRCC), a team of senior ministers charged with preparing the country for a pandemic.

The committee was suspended by Mrs May to concentrate on Brexit and then scrapped all together by BoJo when he became PM and just six months before the outbreak of Covid19.

I expect the experts that might have been in that committee have already been pensioned off by Dominic Cummings.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sir Ian Duncan Smith said something to effect that they fail at everything they try to do.

Sir Iain has apparently welcomed the news and said: “The one thing consistent about Public Health England is that almost everything it has touched has failed.”

That is a harsh statement but things I looked into were the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition which Zoe Harcombe debunked, the Healthy Eating Plate (or whatever it is called now) and the traffic light labelling system. I have never been a fan and agree that they need looking into.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sir Ian Duncan Smith said something to effect that they fail at everything they try to do.

Sir Iain has apparently welcomed the news and said: “The one thing consistent about Public Health England is that almost everything it has touched has failed.”

That is a harsh statement but things I looked into were the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition which Zoe Harcombe debunked, the Healthy Eating Plate (or whatever it is called now) and the traffic light labelling system. I have never been a fan and agree that they need looking into.
Have to say once I became aware of their existence they seem to be failing at an awful lot. It does indeed seem from many more stories today that it is the entire organisation going, one report saying the diet and weight management aspects going back to councils and gp’s.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Public Health England being disbanded? Good. It was a shambles long before this pandemic.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve been told that the person responsible for PHE is Matt Hancock. I’m wondering if PHE, with its long history of poor advice, is being made into a diversionary fall guy for all the other failings that have accumulated?

Reactions: HSSS

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The PHE is dead! Long live England.

I never realistically expected to see this happen. That august and influential body seemed to be the epitome of Government health policy. How are the mighty fallen. Booted off their pedestal.

They are indeed being lambasted for their failings, which we have highlighted for some time here in the Forum. They are called out for what they are, a private quango with powers beyond their understanding. Unfortunately they are being replaced by a similar Conservative led body which is not expected to become online for at least 6 months. PHE is under a 1 month notice of cancellation.

I fear that it is the pandemic issue that dominates, and it is not clear who will take over the nutrition side of things. They do not appear to be replacing SACN, which is at the core of those activities so I do not expect any miracle to be enacted. I doubt that Alison Tedstone will be seeking fresh employment.

What is buried in this flurry of news is that the Test and Trace operations are also being scrapped and merged into the new quango under Baroness Dido Harding. The workforce have already been given their marching orders and several thousand will be laid off from next week.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

As far as IDS is concerned it's very much a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Dido Harding’s husband, John Penrose, is on the advisory board of 1828 which wants the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system. Watch this space. Oh, and Serco’s sure done a good job, gee thanks Dido.

Reactions: Oldvatr and JRT
M

Member496333

Taking the fall for Hancock. It won't make the blindest bit of difference to anything.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm beginning to think that getting rid of PHE is a bit like getting rid of a dictator like Saddam Husein for example. What replaces it might be even worse.

Reactions: lucylocket61

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Totally agree. IDS running of the DWP that allegedly destroyed the lives of thousands of disabled and ill people is nothing short of a disgrace.
He was also part of the government that set up PHE in the first place the same party PHE has always been controlled by the same party that is now pointing the finger at it's own institution and replacing it what hypocrisy.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So we going to get our own CDC it seems. No executive power, and no funding of its own. A true Quango. If Trump can ignore his with impunity, then so can Bojo. Still, moving track and trace back into the community seems sensible. There is probably no money moving with it so cash strapped councils will have to make so and mend as usual. We used to be able to breed proper politicians and statesmen . Must be the water.......