Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly I am a mum of 3 secondary school kids all of whom have lost a term of education in spite of the efforts of the school to send them lessons remotely and our parental efforts to school them in a nice middle class home where they had access to laptops, study space and WiFi. Its not easy and it makes for an inferior learning and social experience. Of course if I thought they were in danger or their teachers were in danger of mass illness and/ deaths then all of this would be a necessary sacrifice. But evidence from actual schools in countries where the schools operated normally as opposed to merely assuming that kids are super spreaders or theoretically could be super spreaders, is safetyism gone mad. Please don't say that is it lives versus livelihoods. If you've seen a post industrial Northern town that's lost its economic heart you will know that is a false dichotomy.
We cannot make it completely safe for all teachers but we can mitigate the risk for the tiny minority that need it surely?
Remember that the hypothetical models generated by Ferguson got it wrong by a huge magnitude including in Sweden where no schools got locked down so why base your fear and anxiety on theories about transmission when there is now real data?
EVIDENCE SUMMARY OF PAEDIATRIC COVID-19 LITERATURE
Alison Boast, Alasdair Munro + Henry Goldstein

Here we present the top 10 papers from each category (Paediatric clinical cases, Epidemiology and transmission, and Neonates). At the top is an Executive summary followed by all New and noteworthy studies.

Executive Summary (Updated 17th July) by Dr Munroe (Royal College of Pediatricians & Child Health)

Epidemiology
Around the world, children make up a minority of confirmed cases of COVID-19, usually contributing to between 1 – 5% of total case numbers. This almost certainly represents some undercounting of children in total case numbers as many countries have focussed on testing the most unwell, but in some populations which undertook widespread population testing, children still account for very low case numbers. Countries which have produced representative population seroprevalence studies (including Switzerland, Spain and Italy) have found proportionately far fewer children have been infected than adults (young children <10 years in particular).

More detailed information has emerged into childhood severity of COVID-19. A large number of children may be asymptomatic, but the true proportion is unknown. Critical illness is very rare (~1%). In data from China, the USA and Europe, infants and older adolescents appear most likely to be hospitalised and to suffer from more severe disease. Deaths in children remain extremely rare from COVID-19.

Transmission
Precise details regarding paediatric transmission are still being ascertained, however important trends are emerging. Low case numbers in children suggest a more limited role than was initially feared. Contact tracing data from Asia, the USA, Europe and Israel have all demonstrated a significantly lower attack rate in children than adults, including testing of asymptomatic household contacts on both PCR and serology. Coupled with low case numbers would suggest that children are less likely to acquire the disease. The role of children in passing the disease to others is unknown, in particular given unknown numbers of asymptomatic cases. Notably, the China/WHO joint commission could not recall episodes during contact tracing where transmission occurred from a child to an adult. Studies of multiple family clusters have revealed children were unlikely to be the index case, in Guangzhou, China, Israel, the USA, Switzerland and internationally. Limited data on positive cases in schools have not demonstrated significant transmission, except within adolescent populations. Studies of younger children in schools have found low rates of transmission, but with very low case numbers.

Several studies have now shown that SARS-CoV-2 can be detected by PCR in the stool of affected children for several weeks after symptoms have resolved. Studies have confirmed there can also be live virus found in the stool of infected individuals. How much virus is present, and the extent to which faecal-oral transmission may be possible is yet to be confirmed.
Hi Nicola, I can see that you are very anxious to get your teenagers back to school and fearful that this may not happen. This is fine just as it is fine for others to be concerned about their own health and risks of death.
Well of course they wouldn't as that would be stupid.. however there are very few 70+ y.o. teachers still active so there shouldn't really be a problem...
There are however plenty of 50 , 60 , BAME, those with diabetes, autoimmune difficulties, heart conditions , respiratory issues and many others that caused them to be in the vunerable or shielding group. I don't understand how it can be acceptable to expect them to just put their health and life's at risk without some protection.
I'm not sure what the point you were wishing to make was from the guardian article. It basically states the younger you are the less likely you are to get seriously ill from Covid and makes a statement that it's better to open schools than close them for the sake of the children.
That's fine but then you also need to protect the staff taking the risks to keep them open imho.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fully agree with you. I haven't been in a shop for a while but as far as I know children aren't exempt from wearing masks?! Of course considering masks don't protect you but protect others, and the fact that children according the Government, offer little risk in passing the virus on in schools, then why are they not exempt from wearing masks in shops? Why if they pose little risk can they ideally not cuddle Granny yet? Why is it not ok for big 10th birthday parties to go on in a household with loads of other kids if apparently they pose little risk? As you quite rightly say it seems according to Boris and Co the virus will behave differently once past the school gates!! Maybe if Boris was so confident in the little risk posed by children he should have walloped them all together constantly since March so every kid in the country had herd immunity?!
If child is 11 or younger then they are exempt

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nicola, I can see that you are very anxious to get your teenagers back to school and fearful that this may not happen. This is fine just as it is fine for others to be concerned about their own health and risks of death.

There are however plenty of 50 , 60 , BAME, those with diabetes, autoimmune difficulties, heart conditions , respiratory issues and many others that caused them to be in the vunerable or shielding group. I don't understand how it can be acceptable to expect them to just put their health and life's at risk without some protection.
I'm not sure what the point you were wishing to make was from the guardian article. It basically states the younger you are the less likely you are to get seriously ill from Covid and makes a statement that it's better to open schools than close them for the sake of the children.
That's fine but then you also need to protect the staff taking the risks to keep them open imho.
and also protect the parents, grandparents and all others who come in contact with the children.

I think maybe the ones making the rules think only about boarding schools, and dont take into account the many people even one day school child comes into contact with to spread the virus.

Reactions: Jbicheno

Max68

Let's just say for argument sake that children didn't spread the virus. The transmission risk between staff seems to have been totally forgotten. At our school you have a minimum of a teacher and an LSA in a class. We also have morning briefings with all staff in the small lunch hall although I don't know how they will be dealt with come September. Adult to adult infection will be a risk on its own.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's just say for argument sake that children didn't spread the virus. The transmission risk between staff seems to have been totally forgotten. At our school you have a minimum of a teacher and an LSA in a class. We also have morning briefings with all staff in the small lunch hall although I don't know how they will be dealt with come September. Adult to adult infection will be a risk on its own.
To be fair that can be moderated fairly easily, no different to many other work places in that respect. The adults in a class should be able to maintain distancing. The meeting it can take place in the largest hall perhaps or be done online, via briefing sheets etc

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless they work in a violent inner city school, teachers are not normally exposed to much risk apart from tripping over some PE kit or burning their fingers on a bunsen burner. When deciding whether to return to school because they might catch the virus they might want to consider parents who are police officers, fire brigade, prison staff, miners, trawlermen, workers on building sites and many more who face risks every day at work but carry on.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well Boris has children galore (ahem) but he's doing the same so I think that's a little unfair. :)
They are all well above school age and are either at or have graduated from university apart from the one he refused to acknowledge for most of her life and he has very little to do with so I do not think it unfair at all.

Oh yes and not to forget the youngest child who is I think not of school age as of yet.

Hotpepper20000

When deciding whether to return to school because they might catch the virus they might want to consider parents who are police officers, fire brigade, prison staff, miners, trawlermen, workers on building sites and many more who face risks every day at work but carry on.
And I might add, who can’t work from home and don't have the means for childcare if their children don’t go back school.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unless they work in a violent inner city school, teachers are not normally exposed to much risk apart from tripping over some PE kit or burning their fingers on a bunsen burner. When deciding whether to return to school because they might catch the virus they might want to consider parents who are police officers, fire brigade, prison staff, miners, trawlermen, workers on building sites and many more who face risks every day at work but carry on.

Why? they all knew the risks involved with their chosen line of work as did I when I joined the military and please don't dismiss the number of assaults on teachers in the work place being a teacher is not usually considered a high risk occupation in the normal course of events.

Hotpepper20000

The children of UK key workers never stopped going to school. The schools stayed open specially for them, specifically to solve the problem of childcare for key workers. What country do you live in?
All childcare was closed in the province I live for at least 6 weeks. We did a total shut down for three months.
Even outdoor playgrounds and restaurants. Everyone is going back to school wearing masks in three weeks.
Everyone gets two free reusable masks.
Will be interesting to see how effective this will be. Masks need to changedif they are damp, so every few hours and not touched while wearing.
All Persons over two years must wear them indoors here. We have a low rate of infection, but the numbers haven’t gone down anymore for the last two weeks since it has been law.
There is some speculation it’s because people feel safe and now are not social distancing and gathering in groups because they think wearing a mask is all that’s needed Also most don’t wash or change their masks enough.

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

All work places and all the vunerable and extremely vunerable should have their safety and welfare risk assessed for Covid 19.
Where do you work Mr Pots? And what protocols are in place there?

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All childcare was closed in the province I live for at least 6 weeks. We did a total shut down for three months.
Even outdoor playgrounds and restaurants. Everyone is going back to school wearing masks in three weeks.
Everyone gets two free reusable masks.
Will be interesting to see how effective this will be. Masks need to changedif they are damp, so every few hours and not touched while wearing.
All Persons over two years must wear them indoors here. We have a low rate of infection, but the numbers haven’t gone down anymore for the last two weeks since it has been law.
There is some speculation it’s because people feel safe and now are not social distancing and gathering in groups because they think wearing a mask is all that’s needed Also most don’t wash or change their masks enough.

In the UK adults in schools are I believe not allowed to protect themselves and others by wearing masks at work.

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I might add, who can’t work from home and don't have the means for childcare if their children don’t go back school.
Schools remained open throughout the height of the pandemic for the children of key workers and those considered vunerable.
For those saying teachers don't normally face danger what has that got to do with anything . Most people who go to work shouldn't expect to die or end up in hospital because it or is this just a way to bash teachers ?
Teachers are just as likely as anyone else to have underlying conditions such as diabetes, they're just as likely as others to have high hbac1s , be asthmatic , be pregnant, have heart and blood pressure conditions and just as likely as anyone else to end up on ventilators if infected with Covid. Or due we feel they need punishing in some way with loose risk assessment because their jobs are in our opinions not dangerous enough at other times.
As I have said all work places should have safe protocols in place especially for the vunerable or allow them to work from home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Circuspony
M

Member496333

How is it conspiracy to ask for the same protection inside school gates that there is outside of them?

Two of the three main pieces of advice are being breached in schools without justification or reason.
  • cover face - wear a face covering over your nose and mouth in enclosed spaces
  • make space - stay at least a metre away from people not in your household
If it’s not safe in the supermarket, drs, train etc etc without distancing and or masks then how do the school gates block the viral particles?

Which is it? It cannot both be safe and unsafe to be cheek to jowl with 150 people a day an hour at a time. A teen cannot both be a risk in spreading the disease and simultaneously not a risk depending on the time of day And if it’s a school room or doctors surgery or supermarket aisle

The pictures of classrooms in the media are massively misleading in the spacing shown. The studies were done whilst schools were shut. The children and teens live with people more susceptible than they are generally.

Well I have my own views on the validity of all of these measures in any setting, but they're not particularly relevant here since the majority will disagree and I don't wish to debate them. My point was only that general lockdown skeptics are viewed in the main as whackjob conspiracy nuts who are fools for thinking that government might not always have the best interests of its citizens at heart. In large part by those who are now accusing government of a coverup.

Again, not pointing the finger at anyone here necessarily. It's just an observation.

Tannith

BANNED
Well I have my own views on the validity of all of these measures in any setting, but they're not particularly relevant here since the majority will disagree and I don't wish to debate them. My point was only that general lockdown skeptics are viewed in the main as whackjob conspiracy nuts who are fools for thinking that government might not always have the best interests of its citizens at heart. In large part by those who are now accusing government of a coverup.

Again, not pointing the finger at anyone here necessarily. It's just an observation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53826719
'I'm very anxious about getting back to work'
"The government position is that no employer should force their staff to return to an unsafe workplace, and they should ensure that vulnerable workers can return safely."
So they are the employers in schools and have a duty to make them safe.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
and also protect the parents, grandparents and all others who come in contact with the children.

I think maybe the ones making the rules think only about boarding schools, and dont take into account the many people even one day school child comes into contact with to spread the virus.
A well-known boarding school close to where I live has adapted a whole, fairly large, building for use as a Covid space as a precaution for when the pupils return.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am returning to the workplace and have been asked to complete an individual risk assessment due to the Diabetes. It asks about additional measures I require and I have no idea!! Can anyone suggest anything? We’ve a rota for the Staffroom to minimise the number of people in there, there’s extra cleaning, socially distanced workspaces, hand gel, face coverings in corridors. But I really don’t know if there’s anything extra I can add! Thanks.

You are lucky to have been asked. I read our whole school risk assessment and was surprised to see my risk (I was not named but I know it was me by the job description) was classed as low risk. I contacted my head and pointed out what my risk was ‘not any higher for risk of infection but a higher risk of severe illness if I catch the virus’ and was told I am low risk. My union has said there is no need for an individual risk assessment unless you are an extremely vulnerable person (cancer patient, organ transplant patient etc).
My head said she was aware of my concerns and she has put in place social distancing(?), staggered start and finish times, bubble groups (31+adults and pupils). To date, since wider opening, prior to summer holidays, with up to 15 pupils in a class we have had no covid outbreaks. I think a lot of faith is being put in the rumour that children do not spread the virus. Without face coverings I am unsure that any of the above measures will be effective.
With regard to your circumstance, how about increased ventilation eg open windows or doors.

Max68

Not sure that is a great comparison. As others have said when you sign up to any of those occupations there are known risks within the job. If you add Covid to the risks then I am sure employees in those occupations would be requesting certain assurances themselves and we are all aware of the NHS's own fight for PPE.

Examples of comparisons with regard to friends or family of mine are interesting - My brother in law works in a petrol station. He says he has seen thousands of people since he went back to work but freely admits that customers aren't in the shop long. Half of all customers wear masks even though they are mandatory and half don't. Staff have been told to keep a list of how many do and how many don't. He says they have a Perspex screen around the counter and have been provided with PPE if they want it.

My best friend works as a Manager in a Hire Shop. If anyone enters his office for a meeting they stay metres away. He has social distancing markers throughout and he has already had to have a word with a member of staff who got too close to a customer. He has an underlying condition so now works two days from home. They are all offered PPE.

Another friend works for a company that has reduced shift numbers to only three in a team rather than the usual number. They now work three days on, three days off in their small teams and they don't get close to each other. They are all offered PPE.

Someone else works for a company in an office and he has been told to work from home until the new year at the earliest.

My ex works as a receptionist in a hospital and is behind a Perspex screen and also wears a mask. Shift times have been shortened.

All of the above either use PPE or it is offered. They all either work from home or stringently social distance within the workplace.. When I go back to school I will not be offered PPE and it is impossible to social distance. The other big difference is that in the above contact with customers or patients are either behind Perspex screens and time spent in any vicinity with someone else will be short. Not the case in a school!