Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes isn't the only cause of added covid risk. People with cancer/transplants/lung conditions/immune deficiency etc etc usually can't do anything to mitigate their risk. People who are overweight or have high blood pressure or high LDL cholesterol may be able to, as well as diabetics.

I disagree.. everyone can do something to improve their metabolic health and I'm guessing almost all of them would benefit.
But of course this is a diabetes forum so that's the main point I was making.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone seen this one..?
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 11.47.39.png

Fascinating...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I disagree.. everyone can do something to improve their metabolic health and I'm guessing almost all of them would benefit.

As a transplant recipient, I agree... improving my metabolic health has an impact on my health in general. As does my use of VitD and zinc and a few other supplements in improving other vitamin/mineral deficiencies that I have had due to cystic fibrosis. These things all improve my chances. As does eating keto, which lowers my exposure inflammation levels.

Reactions: bulkbiker

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Apart from the odd paraplegic or two who are indecently more prone to developing diabetes and metabolic disorders than the general population.

It is not everyone can there are always exceptions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the odd paraplegic or two who are indecently more prone to developing diabetes and metabolic disorders than the general population.

Err don't recall mentioning exercise at all John.. ?
Your point is what exactly?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Err did I mention exercise either my point is a person who is paralyzed from say the neck down can do very little to improve their situation for themselves as they are often totally dependent on others and that generalizations like everyone can do this or everyone can do that do not always hold true.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Err did I mention exercise either my point is a person who is paralyzed from say the neck down can do very little to improve their situation for themselves as they are often totally dependent on others and that generalizations like everyone can do this or everyone can do that do not always hold true.

I'm assuming they can still communicate and be pushed out to the garden to get some sun maybe?

Maybe I should have preceded with "Almost everyone" fair point..

Tannith

BANNED

Diabetics have an above average risk of undesirably high numbers in other areas, eg blood pressure,weight, LDL etc. It is not just our BG that we need to keep under control in order to reduce our risk from covid.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Diabetics have an above average risk of undesirably high numbers in other areas, eg blood pressure,weight, LDL etc. It is not just our BG that we need to keep under control in order to reduce our risk from covid.
You're right. Here is an example of a Matrix scoring risk assessment for Covid. I score 9, which is high risk.

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/coronavirus-...ronavirusStaffRiskAssessmentMatrixScoring.pdf

I like how this has Psychological factors Anxiety level Concerned Very anxious ( e.g. remaining at home, not going out to shops), which is me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Although oddly once BG is under control for many of us most of those problems simply go away.. apart from the LDL in some, of course but that could well be because its not problematic anyway.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ohhhh I see what you did there. :p
:bag:
@There is no Spoon
Well spotted!:)
I just thought the original typo ironic in a thread about education. I love it when typos, of which I do many having old stiff fingers, makes a different meaning or a funny of some sort. That one gave me a giggle, as did your witty response.

Now, back to the thread or we will get told off

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even I score 3 which kind of implies it's designed to make everyone nervous.. Being 58, male and T2.
You are not working in a hospital as far as I know, so it might not be relevant.

Hi, I have been off work since just before lockdown in March. I work for the local council in a nursery with children age 2-5 years. I have Type 1 diabetes and asthma. I was due back 11th June but my doctor said I was not to return to work till I had passed an Occupational Health Assessment. I had this with another doctor 2 weeks ago. He took all my details and said that due to my health conditions and the fact that there is no social distancing with the children in nursery or mask wearing I am not allowed back there for 3 months - to be reviewed in November. The local council is meant to be placing me somewhere else "safer" but realistically I don't know if this will happen...... I am totally gutted, I love my job & honestly thought I would be ok to go back. I am relieved though that someone else made the decision for me and yes better to be safe than sorry......

Reactions: Circuspony

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even I score 3 which kind of implies it's designed to make everyone nervous.. Being 58, male and T2.
Or your risk is higher than you care to accept (according to this matrix anyway). It doesn’t imply it’s design is to make people nervous and I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion about it’s intentions. It only means you disagree about your personal risk level.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: bulkbiker