Blood pressure check up.

Stephanie 1233

Had my blood pressure check up appointment today it was very high the doctor wasn't happy with my results had more blood work done today trying to find out why its so high. They did blood work on my liver and kidneys function, thryiod and vitamins and folate I find out my results Monday . I am quiet stressed about this I dreading my results.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my blood pressure check up appointment today it was very high the doctor wasn't happy with my results had more blood work done today trying to find out why its so high. They did blood work on my liver and kidneys function, thryiod and vitamins and folate I find out my results Monday . I am quiet stressed about this I dreading my results.
White coat syndrome is a thing - many people, myself included, record very high BP at the docs. Might be worth buying your own BP machine and testing at home to ensure that you really do have high BP. Most doctors will accept a series of home readings instead of one done in the surgery, in these circumstances.

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Sorry you are worried and have a stressed weekend coming up prior to the blood work results on Monday.
I am hoping your doctor did 3 readings to make sure the result was genuine and that you don't normally have white coat syndrome (high bp when someone medical measures it?).
Either way there will be solutions and hopefully not just pharmaceutical ones depending on those tests. May be a good idea to write some questions down about what you can do to manage this going forward.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Mine was super high, like 200 over something. this is what caught my diabetes. I also have white coat. The same treatment of losing weight, controlling BG and exercise has helped dramatically, doc cut my medication in half last appointment as I was logging numbers like 95/55

IMHO, get a home monitor. Preferably one with Bluetooth and an app. It’s wonderful, I can show doc all my vitals in one go.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may not apply so please done jump at me - just saying.

My BP was linked directly to my weight - my weight came off and i did more exercise my BP came right down to a very good level with no meds.

I also cut out all caffeine and significantly reduced my salt content which i think helped.

Salt is supposed to be pretty bad for blood pressure, so if you have the option of reducing it it will help, i did find that after the first week of not enjoying missing caffeine i dont notice it at all now and enjoy a decaff tea. i do have the odd proper coffee as a treat if im in a cafe and its fine.

I tested the weight/salt and caffine using an at home BP mete, was cheap on amazon. Did a test first thing in the morning and after tea. I could see it dropping week on week - i also saw a marked decrease when i dropped salt and caffine.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my annual on Tuesday morning where my BP read 168/100 something which is normal in the surgery although I am reasonably chilled about going. I then get a form to record a weeks worth (2 in morning, 2 in evening) so far the average is 139/76. So it may be worth taking a few home readings if only for peace of mind.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I was very relaxed not stressed at all :) xx when having bp taken :).

I suffer from white coat syndrome even when perfectly relaxed at the surgery.

I use the same monitor at home and have taken it 30 mins before GP reading. My reading is good and GP reading not so good. Have taken my monitor in with me and get the same elevated reading on both machines which shows my machine is as accurate as the surgery one.

The point I make is that it is possible to have white coat syndrome whilst feeling relaxed.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BP always measures high on an automatic machine - no matter who takes it, but with an "old fashoined" spiygmometer and stethoscope it's well within the acceptable range. Maybe worth a shot asking for a manual reading next time if it's still showing high

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP accepts the home readings that I take as I have white coat syndrome and am always high in the surgery. They loaned me a machine not long after diagnosis and saw that home readings were better. I subsequently bought a very similar machine that takes the average of 3 readings and the doctor is happy to accept those.