1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood pressure check up.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Stephanie 1233, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233 · Well-Known Member

Had my blood pressure check up appointment today it was very high the doctor wasn't happy with my results had more blood work done today trying to find out why its so high. They did blood work on my liver and kidneys function, thryiod and vitamins and folate I find out my results Monday . I am quiet stressed about this I dreading my results.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

White coat syndrome is a thing - many people, myself included, record very high BP at the docs. Might be worth buying your own BP machine and testing at home to ensure that you really do have high BP. Most doctors will accept a series of home readings instead of one done in the surgery, in these circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Sorry you are worried and have a stressed weekend coming up prior to the blood work results on Monday.
    I am hoping your doctor did 3 readings to make sure the result was genuine and that you don't normally have white coat syndrome (high bp when someone medical measures it?).
    Either way there will be solutions and hopefully not just pharmaceutical ones depending on those tests. May be a good idea to write some questions down about what you can do to manage this going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stephanie 1233

The doctor took 6 readings :)

5. Stephanie 1233

No I was very relaxed not stressed at all :) xx when having bp taken :).

6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

has it recently gone up compared to previous reading?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stephanie 1233

Yes quiet a lot 169/96

8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

what was it before

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephanie 1233

10. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine was super high, like 200 over something. this is what caught my diabetes. I also have white coat. The same treatment of losing weight, controlling BG and exercise has helped dramatically, doc cut my medication in half last appointment as I was logging numbers like 95/55

IMHO, get a home monitor. Preferably one with Bluetooth and an app. It’s wonderful, I can show doc all my vitals in one go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stephanie 1233

Thank you for all of your help and advice :) .

12. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This may not apply so please done jump at me - just saying.

My BP was linked directly to my weight - my weight came off and i did more exercise my BP came right down to a very good level with no meds.

I also cut out all caffeine and significantly reduced my salt content which i think helped.

Salt is supposed to be pretty bad for blood pressure, so if you have the option of reducing it it will help, i did find that after the first week of not enjoying missing caffeine i dont notice it at all now and enjoy a decaff tea. i do have the odd proper coffee as a treat if im in a cafe and its fine.

I tested the weight/salt and caffine using an at home BP mete, was cheap on amazon. Did a test first thing in the morning and after tea. I could see it dropping week on week - i also saw a marked decrease when i dropped salt and caffine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FantomPoet

FantomPoet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my annual on Tuesday morning where my BP read 168/100 something which is normal in the surgery although I am reasonably chilled about going. I then get a form to record a weeks worth (2 in morning, 2 in evening) so far the average is 139/76. So it may be worth taking a few home readings if only for peace of mind.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jim1951

jim1951 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suffer from white coat syndrome even when perfectly relaxed at the surgery.

I use the same monitor at home and have taken it 30 mins before GP reading. My reading is good and GP reading not so good. Have taken my monitor in with me and get the same elevated reading on both machines which shows my machine is as accurate as the surgery one.

The point I make is that it is possible to have white coat syndrome whilst feeling relaxed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My BP always measures high on an automatic machine - no matter who takes it, but with an "old fashoined" spiygmometer and stethoscope it's well within the acceptable range. Maybe worth a shot asking for a manual reading next time if it's still showing high

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My GP accepts the home readings that I take as I have white coat syndrome and am always high in the surgery. They loaned me a machine not long after diagnosis and saw that home readings were better. I subsequently bought a very similar machine that takes the average of 3 readings and the doctor is happy to accept those.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stephanie 1233

Thanks for your help every one I be ordering a blood pressure machine tomorrow then I can monitor it at home :) .

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook