COVID the real numbers? Not all doom and gloom.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think i'd agree on the former contention and well aware that to 'save the NHS' we seeded Covid into the Care homes. They did this in Sweden and many other places too.
On the second point, if you convert the National Health Service into a National Covid Service and scare everyone away from the normal services to boot, there will be more of those kind of deaths at the time and into the future too. That is what lockdown meant and continues to mean.
How could the NHS refuse to treat people whose COVID infection has become so severe that they need ventilation and carefully monitored medication?
A better solution, in my opinion, would be to have separate facilities for different conditions that are, indeed, very very separated. However, this is a pipedream, moonshine, as the NHS has been underfunded and understaffed for years and we just don’t have the capacity.
I really hope that we’re not about to experience a second wave. I agree with what you’ve said previously that it may be a good thing if the young who aren’t vulnerable get it, as long as the hints we’re getting that the human immune system can build some recognition and defence is true. The proviso is that they don’t infect the more vulnerable, and older people they come in contact with.

Reactions: JRT

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Beneficial effect of ketones indeed! Silly woman, tell that to the people who get Covid instigated DKA

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just posted on the RH sub forum that I had a liver scan yesterday and the hospital public areas were empty, I couldn't believe how few people were there!
The scan was not a problem, I never got my temperature took, I have done many times at my surgery and my counselling.

Anyway, the guy who scanned me said they had been put on high alert since Friday because of the rapid rise in positive tests in the area. Two weeks ago there was nobody in ICU covid ward, now there was three, no deaths since early july!

I think the second wave is well and truly on its way and a second lockdown is about a fortnight away!

Keep safe

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just posted on the RH sub forum that I had a liver scan yesterday and the hospital public areas were empty, I couldn't believe how few people were there!
The scan was not a problem, I never got my temperature took, I have done many times at my surgery and my counselling.

Anyway, the guy who scanned me said they had been put on high alert since Friday because of the rapid rise in positive tests in the area. Two weeks ago there was nobody in ICU covid ward, now there was three, no deaths since early july!

I think the second wave is well and truly on its way and a second lockdown is about a fortnight away!

Keep safe
And my sister , an A & E consultant at the Royal Free (featured on the Covid Hospital documntary) reports 0 ICU cases and deaths plus a great deal of frustration at the Covid-isation of the NHS!
However I am going to await the ONS data for such things and carry on as normal (includes hand washing and a bit of distancing) but so far not seeing any reason to freak out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely better to simply avoid inflammation entirely by eating properly? Then no drugs are necessary.

There are other reasons for inflammation than 'bad eating'.
Always unwise to make these sweeping statements and assumptions.

Reactions: KK123

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Root cause?

Well, you could always look it up yourself, but I think that is unlikely, so I will do it for you.

Your post #151 above made the claim that all chronic and acute inflammation has a root cause from eating the wrong foods. That is an absolute nonsense - although there are some situations where eating certain foods does have an inflammatory effect.

Long-term diseases that doctors associate with inflammation include:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248423#causes
Then there are all the short term (acute) causes of inflammation which range from insect bites, cuts and bruises while gardening, injuries both internal and external, lack of sleep, and so on.

Here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279298/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248423#types-and-symptoms

https://www.healthline.com/health/chronic-inflammation#causes

And this is a fascinating piece, discussing the similarities in the immune/inflammatory response back through evolution.
It appears that the very genes that give us increased likelihood of survival, in youth, contribute to our chances or increased chronic inflammation in old age.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4753361/

@bulkbiker
If you believe, as you said above, that all inflammation can simply be avoided by eating properly, can you please provide clear evidence of this? Covering all cases of inflammation?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you could always look it up yourself, but I think that is unlikely, so I will do it for you.

Your post #151 above made the claim that all chronic and acute inflammation has a root cause from eating the wrong foods. That is an absolute nonsense - although there are some situations where eating certain foods does have an inflammatory effect.

/

Sorry but I did not say that .. I said "better to avoid inflammation" I made no claims about "all causes" even though you might have wished I had.

Diet is indeed one of the major causes of inflammation I don't think I made the claim that it was the only one.

Whilst I'm flattered to have a personal mod monitoring everything I say I'm sure your time could be better spent?

I do realise however that arguing with a mod even if nothing to do with modding is likely to induce a ban so I'll tag in @DCUKMod to adjudicate.

Thanks M x

If a ban ensues then thank you to all who have spent all the past years reading my rubbish.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
The actual words you used were these (see quote below).
I have added the bold, since you conveniently forgot to include it in your last post.
The one where you denied saying what you actually said.

Surely better to simply avoid inflammation entirely by eating properly? Then no drugs are necessary.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
The actual words you used were these (see quote below).
I have added the bold, since you conveniently forgot to include it in your last post.
The one where you denied saying what you actually said.

Ah mea culpa.. Would you like me to edit my post to remove the questionable word .. as it was not my intention to mislead?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah mea culpa.. Would you like me to edit my post to remove the questionable word .. as it was not my intention to mislead?

Heavens no, that would make the ensuing discussion incomprehensible to anyone reading the thread.

Once again, all I ask, is that you cease making these sweeping generalisations that undermine your own arguments.

For the record, I have inflammation that is both chronic and acute.
I have learned over time that there is a LOT that I can do to alleviate the inflammation, and some of those things include avoiding a list of foods that my body finds inflammatory. But I have also learned, over time, that there are other factors in play, some of which I can control, and some of which I cannot.

So it isn't that I disagree with you about food causing inflammation.
It is simply that food is by no means the whole story.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heavens no, that would make the ensuing discussion incomprehensible to anyone reading the thread.

Once again, all I ask, is that you cease making these sweeping generalisations that undermine your own arguments.

For the record, I have inflammation that is both chronic and acute.
I have learned over time that there is a LOT that I can do to alleviate the inflammation, and some of those things include avoiding a list of foods that my body finds inflammatory. But I have also learned, over time, that there are other factors in play, some of which I can control, and some of which I cannot.

So it isn't that I disagree with you about food causing inflammation.
It is simply that food is by no means the whole story.

Fair enough. Agreed.

Reactions: KK123 and Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to the point.. deaths seem to be coming down
Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 09.35.26.png

Reactions: Merrylizard1314