What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I’m in agreement with your gut feeling about low carbing and hugs for today’s mackerel result again. That should have been a perfect meal. Yes the strawberries would work just as well with vodka. They were particularly sweet and fragrant strawberries to start with, I bought them in Waitrose, the Co op ones simply aren’t as nice.
@zauberflote thanks for the tip about putting ground flaxseed in the freezer, I hadn’t thought of that and it does tend to go ‘fishy’. It sounds like you’re well supplied with covid tests, that’s a relief. They are getting scarce again here in many areas.
@Antje77 poor cat! hope he will cope with the broken leg, I wonder how on Earth he did it? Cats are usually so agile.
@MrsA2 hugs for the migraine. I used to suffer from them and remember how completely debilitating they are
@Goonergal an airfryer at work! What a brilliant idea - surely everyone else will be wanting to use it once they see your lunches though.
@Annb hugs for such a lot of health worry in your family at the moment. Keeping everything crossed for your appointment on Thursday.
Today I had brunch to try to reduce the high fbg https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-croque-monsieur it was nice but probably too carby at breakfast time. BG continued upwards.
Hb egg and 2 rashers streaky bacon in LoDough early afternoon.
Dinner was a h/m bacon cheeseburger and salad ( no bun obvs)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 poor cat! hope he will cope with the broken leg, I wonder how on Earth he did it? Cats are usually so agile.
I've been wondering too. Car accident isn't likely, with only a broken front leg and no other damage or damaged nails. A fall isn't likely either, with only one leg hurt and no wound on his chin.
The only thing I can come up with is having his leg stuck between tree branches or a piece of fence or such while jumping or slipping, snapping the stuck leg.

And sorry for derailing with the cat all the time. It's just that my head is a bit full of it. Very hard to decide if this is the right decision or if I should lock him up anyway and risk him never recovering from that. I think the trauma of locking him in a crate is a bigger risk for his well-being than taking the chance with him healing by himself, even if it turns out the leg will need to be amputated because it won't heal.
Still, how do you know you make the right decision?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb Sadly all past all that now. Think migrianes are like diabetes, you just think you've got under control when it all changes again:banghead:
Sorry about your DIL and your daughter. Remember the meek and quiet get nothing these days so don't hesitate to push long and hard at medics if needed.
Good luck for Thursday

DIL is much better at pushing than I am. One problem for granddaughter is that she has made very frequent calls at A&E, thinking there was a problem and it seems to be a bit like crying wolf. They really don't want to know any more. However, she will have to insist this time - it is far too dangerous not to. She has actually been diagnosed with a serious complaint - can't think of the name of it - something to do with the blood supply to the baby and the baby is at risk.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Second day of my holibobs :)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: bacon and a leafy salad followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Afternoon snack by the pool: white choc phd bar with diet Pepsi.
Dinner at Bella Italia: bolognese with mushrooms and red peppers in place of pasta followed back in our lodge by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Virtual hugs to @Annb & @zauberflote - take care and I hope yous feel better soon also to @Chook for the high BGs.

@Chook I loved loads of cream, cheese and butter too but unfortunately it didn't love me back so my short love affair with it is over.

@Mauriac dark chocolate is good for the heart in moderation of course - that's what I tell myself anyway.

@Brunneria - Freedom! I bet you are glad - it's the small things in life that we take for granted.

Brunch - small cheese omlette and mug of earl grey with unsweetened almond milk. Few mixed nuts while I was waiting on omlette cooking.

Dinner - spicy chicken with a large salad. 1 square of 90% dark lindtt. Glass of pepsi max.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been wondering too. Car accident isn't likely, with only a broken front leg and no other damage or damaged nails. A fall isn't likely either, with only one leg hurt and no wound on his chin.
The only thing I can come up with is having his leg stuck between tree branches or a piece of fence or such while jumping or slipping, snapping the stuck leg.

And sorry for derailing with the cat all the time. It's just that my head is a bit full of it. Very hard to decide if this is the right decision or if I should lock him up anyway and risk him never recovering from that. I think the trauma of locking him in a crate is a bigger risk for his well-being than taking the chance with him healing by himself, even if it turns out the leg will need to be amputated because it won't heal.
Still, how do you know you make the right decision?
I think we need a cat or at least a pet owners thread. After all they are as important to our mental well being as diabetes care is to our physical!

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil the recipe is on my CMT if you want! They "ripen" stored airtight, and the erythritol bite disappears. They are quite dry-- not sure how to deal with that. Was the sprinkle of oat fiber too big?
I first met David Tennant in Doctor Who, and then he was in The Crown for (?)3 seasons. What's this show you're talking about?
@Annb your family is having a bad time of it healthwise-- hugs to all! Perhaps DIL can find a midwife just to comfort her along these next few weeks?
Heading over to the pet thread!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@Antje77 -- Your cat, what a poor little thing. Hope the broken leg heals well. Also hugs for the hypo.
@MrsA2 -- So sorry for your migraines. They sound pretty bad. Please take care.
@Goonergal -- Agree with you on working from home. I don't really do well with this either. Miss the interaction with students and with my colleagues. Alas, the university administration has decided on one more semester of this.
@zauberflote -- These ginger cookies look absolutely yummy.
@Annb -- Hope all goes well with your DIL and your granddaughter. Keeping my fingers crossed.
@Chook -- Hugs for your wayward blood sugars, hope they settle soon. The recipe for the white chocolate is easy in terms of ingredients (cocoa butter, cream powder, vanilla, powdered erythritol and a dash of salt), however am still working on the instructions.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Babaghanoush, Greek yoghurt with olive oil, scrambled eggs with Manchego cheese and spring onion tops, a few radishes.

Snack: About 30g of the white chocolate with pumpkin seed experiment.

Dinner: Three lamb chops, cauli mash with butter and potato fiber, a few radishes. Watered red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb your family is having a bad time of it healthwise-- hugs to all! Perhaps DIL can find a midwife just to comfort her along these next few weeks?
Heading over to the pet thread!

Sadly, it is on the recommendation of the midwife service that granddaughter is having to wait. She will be trying to put pressure on. Her 2 other children are likely to be coming to stay with DIL and No 2 son for a while, just in case urgent action is needed. But when she does go to the mainland, DIL will be taking the pair to the mainland hospital, leaving 3 children under 11 plus one 14 year old, in the care of No 2 son and eldest grandson (22 and a student in Stornoway). No 2 son has some annual leave due and is trying to match it to the required time.

Reactions: zauberflote

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Bed 6.6 FBG 6.1
At Antje77 - it's the cob. I can eat a Cobette about 1/3rd but no way I can eat a whole cob now much as I love them. @Chook - glad you are on the mend and that fish pie looks really good. @annabell1 - looking at your food reminded me of your cauliflower fritters. I didn't get them quite right last time around but they tasted fine so they are due another outing. @Goonergal & @DJC3 - I was delighted and surprised to have dropped another 5 lbs but even happier having worked out why it had happened. I didn't realise I was between 700 - 800 calories some days coupled with 20g carbs or less! I think I'll complete MFP for a while now.
We've been freezer eating again! I dug out 2 pork loin chops wrapped in Parma ham. I finally found my GF haggis which is thawing for tomorrow.
B. TAG and 2 Nairn's GF seeded crackers with pate
L. 1 Lotus biscuit
D. Said pork loin chop which was fried in an apple butter I mixed up, asparagus with crispy bacon bits, fresh broad beans. I'd made a raspberry chia pudding earlier so had some of that with a few raspberries.
Boys swimming lessons are due to start next Sunday barring any more restrictions. I've warned them lessons are liable to be the only swimming they get for a while as there are no signs of the smaller clubs like ours getting to open. Still feeling very miffed that we're all being penalised. Got two 4 day weeks now as it is the September weekend. Usually that would mark an exodus from Glasgow to Blackpool. Can't see that happening this year.
yes it is very simmer to the cauliflower fritters sometimes I don't add vegetables and only use parsley and mint but it can also have onions I don't add onions s am allergic to onions.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all!

What a difference a day makes - cloudy and cooler today. I much prefer it like this and I slept much better. In fact I was feeling so 'off' last night that I went to bed at 10.30pm (early for me) and woke up this morning at 9.30am - 11 hours! And I only woke up at 9.30 because Mr C's alarm chimed.

I have rang up for a phone consultation with the DN about my elevated BGs - turns out the last DN has left and its a new one I haven't met. They seem to get through one a year. The receptionist seemed to think I should talk to my doctor but I said I'd prefer the DN. So someone will phone me back. Hopefully.

Breakfast: boiled eggs with a squidge of mayo

Dinner: a fresh tuna steak, Aldi black bean spaghetti, and a h/m puttanesca type sauce (tomatoes, EVOO, spring onions, olives, capers, anchovies all slowly cooked down to a mush) and a green side salad

Black decaff coffee until lunch then water

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Hugs to all unwell or under the weather, not least Maartje who I hope will have the sense to take it easy!
Today’s food was usual breakfast. Lunch will be using up remainder of egg mayo with salad bits. Supper will be roasted chunks aubergine red onion and few cherry toms.
My tomato plants are now utterly exhausted after fruiting their heads off, 3 cukes left, endless lettuce and spring onions and radishes. Got another crop of figs which I hate and pass on to next door who love them. I am not at all confident of the broccoli and spinach but for the moment they are hanging on in there.
@Annb wishing you all the best with your investigations tomorrow and I hope your DIL and grandaughter get all the best care possible.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.1. It was high last night as well, even though I didn't have the bouillabaise. So yesterday ended up being an OMAD day - just on some duck breast and some Atkins crackers. Didn't really feel the need and too busy baking.

Baking today as well - or at least, finishing off the baking. Scones and some cheese scones was the only baking. The rest is finishing off and sandwich making. No breakfast - just water and tea so far. But I am making some egg mayo for some sandwiches so I'll have a bit of that for brunch. Don't anticipate having any dinner - I'll be too exhausted after entertaining 3 young kids and a teenager for an hour or 3. I might have some of the bouillabaise, if I can be bothered. Come to think of it, I'd better since I have to fast until whenever the hospital has finished with me tomorrow. Should be by 10.30 apparently. Not too bad.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@PenguinMum - my greenhouse tomatoes are still fruiting but not as much as previously although the black Russians are doing better than the beefsteak tomatoes. My outdoor grown in tubs tomatoes (swapped as seedlings from other gardeners) look very sorry for themselves but the big surprise is the feral cherry tomato plants that grew in and amongst other veg from tomatoes that self seeded last year - they are just starting to fruit and their flavour is by far the best. Next year I will get Mr C to hack back the raspberries a bit and grow loads more mangetout, fennel and kohlrabi.

LOL

I just had a conversation with the new DN. I'd completely forgotten how different our way of dealing with our diabetes is.

Note to self: NEVER, EVER tell a DN that you have fasted for four days, regularly skip meals and snacks and avoid carbs as much as possible...

You can probably guess the way the conversation went. :shifty:

Basically she can't suggest anything apart from insulin.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum - my greenhouse tomatoes are still fruiting but not as much as previously although the black Russians are doing better than the beefsteak tomatoes. My outdoor grown in tubs tomatoes (swapped as seedlings from other gardeners) look very sorry for themselves but the big surprise is the feral cherry tomato plants that grew in and amongst other veg from tomatoes that self seeded last year - they are just starting to fruit and their flavour is by far the best. Next year I will get Mr C to hack back the raspberries a bit and grow loads more mangetout, fennel and kohlrabi.

LOL

I just had a conversation with the new DN. I'd completely forgotten how different our way of dealing with our diabetes is.

Note to self: NEVER, EVER tell a DN that you have fasted for four days, regularly skip meals and snacks and avoid carbs as much as possible...

You can probably guess the way the conversation went. :shifty:

Basically she can't suggest anything apart from insulin.
Its fun growing stuff isnt it, there’s only two of us and Mr PM dislikes veg and salad and though I wasted some lettuce everything else gets used. I grew everything outside from seed (except the four tomato plants) even the cukes, started with 14 plants ended up with 6, very comedic shapes but tasted amazing.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.6 FBG 6.9. @ziggy_w & Mrs T 123 - I was obviously happy with the weight loss but not until I worked out why. Now I've decided to go on mixing it about as it was certainly unexpected @Goonergal - I'm in the same boat. No sign at all of my pool/gym reopening as it is impossible to do it economically. @Antje77 - poor Maartje - I hope for a speedy recovery.
B. TAG
L. Went for the same as yesterday with 2 scrambled eggs and 4 rashers crispy, streaky bacon.
D. Morrisons sea bass (the lemon & herb one) with wilted spinach. 4 squares Godiva (I took son to Tesco and couldn't not buy it ).

Yesterday I finally got back to Physiotherapy after 6 months lockdown. It was agony but well worth it as my legs felt so much better once they settled. My good looking sadist tells me I've lost muscle and my balance is worse so I have new exercises to improve my balance. Not easy in my case. Hopefully, they can stay open and I can get back to regular appointments again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Its fun growing stuff isnt it, there’s only two of us and Mr PM dislikes veg and salad and though I wasted some lettuce everything else gets used. I grew everything outside from seed (except the four tomato plants) even the cukes, started with 14 plants ended up with 6, very comedic shapes but tasted amazing.

i agree about the funny shapes (especially cucumbers) but the flavour of home grown fruit and veg is so much better than shop bought. My brother in law is a fruit and veg buyer for one of the big supermarkets - travels all around the world with his job - but at home he's got an allotment and grows all his own veg and some fruit.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @maglil55, for your kind thoughts. I'm keeping a bit too busy just now to worry about what will happen on Thursday. If there's anything to worry about, I'll wait until I hear about it to start worrying. I don't think I 'll panic even it it is bad news - just get depressed, no doubt. Can't actually think that it will be anything more than, maybe, an ulcer, or something like that.

At least I am getting checked. DIL's toe healed with a second antibiotic but she has now found a lump in her breast and can only get a telephone appointment about that! No 2 son wondered if the Dr has a camera on his phone. Eldest granddaughter has developed a problem with her pregnancy which, apparently, requires total bed rest and a C section at about 34 weeks. She was discharged from the WI hospital yesterday (at 33 weeks) and told to come back in 4 weeks, when she will be sent away to the mainland because there are no facilities locally to support the baby. Now, those 2 worry me.
Enjoy your tea "party" today. I hope all your family recover soon. Fingers crossed for you all.