What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
if God is everywhere, how come we can fit in?

Sensible question. Em hasn't thought of that one yet. Kids are much more sensible than we often give them credit for. I don't suppose that, on this still very religious (not to say pious) Island, I should really encourage her to ask what fundamentalist Christians would call blasphemous questions. I had plenty of that when I was at school because I couldn't understand how RE teachers could believe what they told us to believe. Neil asked them to prove what they were saying. When they wouldn't (couldn't) he told them that he simply didn't believe them. He wasn't popular either.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been not quite right since migraine at beginning of the week, but think its morphed into some sort of nose infection that may have gone down to chest. Can function OK but chest aches and one side of nose drips... might have been returning to yoga or a massage I had moving stuff around. Been reading up on keto and migraines. Mine should have vanished by now.

L: 2 fried eggs and bacon. Not my favourite way of eating eggs and bacon but not as slimy as I remembered. Did enjoy a fresh tomato with it. Its a texture thing.
D: 1 chipolata, a half a mozzarella ball and a slice of halloumi

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 thanks for the recipe! I have a 50-yr-long dispute between yeast supplements and my body, starting from when my dad let me have some of his for my unsightly teen breakouts. It and I did not agree to the point where I'm terrified to use it again. Ah well! Some substitute will appear!
Bravissima @Mauriac !!!!
@Brunneria what with the glowing wood and the beeswax and all you're making me think of a UK author who puts lots of that, plus gleaming brass and fresh flowers, into her books. Trying to think of her name....
Food Friday:
Bfast avocado, boiled egg, a few pecans, corner of ginger cookie
Pre-barre very small spoon-tip peanut butter
Barre class
Lunch/second bfast boiled egg, cottage cheese, provolone (danger zone, I love the stuff), cherry tomatoes, pecans, peanut butter, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Supper to be spinach/hm dressing, a "salmon burger" (maybe I can only eat half; they do have filler) to celebrate the dry weather, flax crisps/dilute soymilk

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb not to derail the thread, but I am "Evangelical Baptist", and in a tradition which would say, there are no blasphemous *questions*. Jesus got asked all kinds of "blasphemy" and so far as we know he answered every one. Children and "little ones" can teach us much!
Back on topic, Jesus didn't eat VLC but certainly ate lots of fish, and some of them must have been oily! I expect the vinegar of that time had the mother in it too lol!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Annb DIL's situation is alarming, but we will hope that it's VERY early stage. Treatment is better now than even for her mother.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 thanks for the recipe! I have a 50-yr-long dispute between yeast supplements and my body, starting from when my dad let me have some of his for my unsightly teen breakouts. It and I did not agree to the point where I'm terrified to use it again. Ah well! Some substitute will appear!
I had to google the yeast flakes when I first tried the recipe and found they are most often used by vegans as a substitute for parmesan. So why not go the other way and try parmesan as a substitute for yeast flakes?

And vegetables with peanut sauce again, but with marinated pieces of pork belly strip instead of yesterdays tofu, because the leftover tofu pieces have slowly disappeared from my fridge over the day :D.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fifth day of holibobs :)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and cookies and cream phd bar.
Lunch: bacon and leafy salad with pork scratchings followed by DGF chocolate brownie, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: grilled chicken, tomato, mushroom, red onion, peas and 6 small chips (yes chips but only six! Blood sugar 5.1 before and 5.7 two hours later, will check again at bedtime too!) followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola.

Edit to add bedtime reading was 4.4, looks like I got away with that holiday cheat! :angelic:

4420A1FB-EFAF-4905-BAE9-467E03E19449.jpeg

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Had breakfast today: a DD breakfast sandwich, which in spite of being practically 0 carbs sadly did not stop the dreaded DP
Lunch felt satisfyingly carby, I made https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/soft-keto-seed-bread and had 2 slices with butter and cheese. It had the crumbly cakey texture of a lot of lc breads but I liked the flavour. DGF raspberry bakewell afterwards.
Dinner was chicken coated in Lo Dough’s new ‘Southern fried chicken’ style crumb. Had it with celeriac chips and chilli mayo and it was like a Friday night takeaway. 1 glass of red wine.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Had a lovely day yesterday visiting son’s garden for a few hours, we brought our own picnic and the sun shone and it did us both a lot of good. My picnic was ham salad with coleslaw. We talked about Christmas and decided we would at the very least try to see each other outside, wrapped up with a glass of something.
Last night we continued the holiday mood with Indian takeaway. I had Chicken Shaslik and cauli bhajee and one popadom. FBG crept in just below 6 this morning.
Today I have had mu usual slice of HiLo toast, thick butter, tea.
Lunch will be egg mayo and salad.
Supper will be panfried lamb chump chop with mushrooms. Mr PM cooking liver after my food so I will be staying away from the kitchen until he has washed up afterwards!
@Annb I hope your DIL gets an early diagnosis and agree with others that the treatment techniques are so much better than even a few years ago. I too enjoyed Em’s questions, she will go far.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mauriac well done on your choices re your meals out. fbgs can be strange but it’s good news that low carb is impacting - it can quite quickly. But, unfortunately,something called dawn phenomenon often kicks in - its the body trying to be helpful providing energy in response to waking up and releasing cortisol and no food often means that figures rush up during the morning until you eat. Some people find it helps to have a small snack at breakfast time especially if fat based - boiled eggs or cheese for example - can stop it rising as much.
This morning my fasting readings at 08.40 were 6.8 and 7.0. At 9 o'clock I had a mug of coffee with almond milk and 20ml of Jersey crema and a medium boiled egg. I did readings again at 11.00 and they had gone up to 7.5 and 7.7 so it looks as though eating something with fat doesn't help me avoid the dreaded DP.

Lindy-Lou01

Hi,

I am a newbie here.

Breakfast - a cup of water, One multigrain toast with peanut butter and then I had white tea.
Morning tea - an apple with few strawberries
Lunch - Chicken with lots of salads. I ate two cream cake :nailbiting: BG 6.3 at 2 hours.
Dinner - One multigrain toast with peanut butter.

Cheers

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mauriac, that's less than a one point increase. And your levels aren't too bad at this stage in any case. I know you want it to be lower, and it might, but right now it is pretty reasonably controlled. Keep up the good work. On the other hand ...

FBG 12! Darn it!

Water and tea until noon. Just had the remainder of the left-over casserole with some shredded chicken (a roasted thigh from the freezer). More tea and pills. I didn't take the pills earlier because I had to go out to the pharmacy and village shop.

In the pharmacy I had to get some more testing strips and some of the Zoflora disinfectant that I like. Got to the village shop and, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what I went there for. Hunted around a bit and bought a few bits and pieces but still couldn't remember. I might have picked up whatever it was, or I might not. I don't know. OLD AGE! It was pretty stealthy when it was catching up on me and I didn't realise, but it's far from stealthy now. It's full blown. At least, in my body it is. My mind still says I'm somewhere between 29 and 35. Of course, I never did have a great memory.

I'm pretty stuffed right now and shouldn't feel hungry for quite a while, but when I do - sometime this evening I expect, I have eggs, streaky bacon and sausages available to make something with. One of each should do it. No mushrooms, sadly, but I do have tomatoes.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must disagree - 6 chips allows for a Jenga-like presentation, ergo, that is the optimum, in this hacienda.
I follow Gertrude Jeykell. Odd numbers all the way for a naturalistic presentation.
We will agree to differ when it comes to chips

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I follow Gertrude Jeykell. Odd numbers all the way for a naturalistic presentation.

An even number makes a much neater pile on the plate. Gertrude Jeykell all the way when it comes to the garden. Oooh chips! Such language in front of a chipaholic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An even number makes a much neater pile on the plate. Gertrude Jeykell all the way when it comes to the garden. Oooh chips! Such language in front of a chipaholic.

I'm with you both on odds for horticulture, but when culinary presentation, I make it up as I go along, although chips have to be evens - unless they're the deliciously scabby little ones that appear to have been made from the extremes of the spud.

(Friday night, MrB has been having chip shop fish and chips for a few weeks. I have airfried chicken, but will admit to chip pilferage, but that's fine. He likes the big, fat fluffy ones and I prefer the small crispy ones.)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Is THAT why I have to plant in odd numbers in the garden? I always wondered why!

@DCUKMod Your post reminded me of when Mr C moved in (many years ago) - he was trying very hard to be on his best behaviour and fit in to the happy life I had with my daughter - so on the second day we got fish'n'chips and the chippy wrapped them all up together. When we undid them the chips were a bit bitty and (to be helpful) he said thats okay because he like the little scrunchy bits.... It was 25 years later that he finally told me he really likes big fat chips and all those years I'd been picking out the little crispy bits just for him. :confused::hilarious:,

Today....

Breakfast: poached smoked haddock

Lunch: small piece of cheese, a tomato and a bit of cucumber

Dinner: Alt lambless pieces (non animal protein), cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, roast parsnips, gravy

Drinks: black decaff coffee until lunch time then water or carb free elderflower tonic

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Mauriac, that's less than a one point increase. And your levels aren't too bad at this stage in any case. I know you want it to be lower, and it might, but right now it is pretty reasonably controlled. Keep up the good work. On the other hand ...

FBG 12! Darn it!

Water and tea until noon. Just had the remainder of the left-over casserole with some shredded chicken (a roasted thigh from the freezer). More tea and pills. I didn't take the pills earlier because I had to go out to the pharmacy and village shop.

In the pharmacy I had to get some more testing strips and some of the Zoflora disinfectant that I like. Got to the village shop and, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what I went there for. Hunted around a bit and bought a few bits and pieces but still couldn't remember. I might have picked up whatever it was, or I might not. I don't know. OLD AGE! It was pretty stealthy when it was catching up on me and I didn't realise, but it's far from stealthy now. It's full blown. At least, in my body it is. My mind still says I'm somewhere between 29 and 35. Of course, I never did have a great memory.

I'm pretty stuffed right now and shouldn't feel hungry for quite a while, but when I do - sometime this evening I expect, I have eggs, streaky bacon and sausages available to make something with. One of each should do it. No mushrooms, sadly, but I do have tomatoes.

I'm forever forgetting why I'm doing something. This morning we had to go shopping for the things that Asda home delivery were out of stock of, went to Lidl then completely forgot what it was we went there for - and came home with special offer stuff that we really didn't need. Fresh figs anyone?

I also find myself putting things in the wrong place a lot - latest was a box of Miracle-Gro plant food in the laundry hamper..... why? why?? .... and yesterday I walked in to the kitchen and found a mug of (stone cold) coffee, a notebook, the calendar and pen on the table, I have no idea what was in my mind when I put them there.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

FBG 12! Darn it!
I realise it's not much of a rise and the numbers anyway aren't that bad. I was just hoping that eating something would have a positive effect but it didn't make any difference compared to the day before when I ate nothing before lunch. Still, it was worth trying but I'm not a natural breakfast eater so I shall go back to my usual routine.

I'm sorry about your 12. :sorry:

I know what you mean about forgetting things. Unless I write everything down I've no chance of remembering and even if I do there is no guarantee I will. The other day I went to the supermarket and only had about a dozen things on my list, including Branston. I must have checked the list 4 or 5 times whilst I was in there and still managed to forget the Branston .:banghead: