What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dragongirl I’m not made of very stern stuff at all. The nut bar was handy as I was out and about for a lot of the day so it kept my tum from rumbling too loudly. Thanks for clarification re walnut bread, I must not have looked properly and thought that was for all of the breads.
@Antje77 that is a heart rending story of your lovely Hidde, I’m not surprised you can’t eat hummus without crying now. It made me want to cry too.
Saturday is boot camp day but it was cancelled because storm Alex is still causing havoc. He put the exercises up in our Facebook group so we did them at home which meant we got to have our post boot bacon butties ( mine is in the seriously low carb bread) such a treat.
Lunch 2 soft boiled eggs and asparagus soldiers to dip. DGF butterscotch and pecan blondie. Cup of tea.
Dinner: something hot and spicy called for with this grotty weather - chicken marinated in yoghurt and spices with salad and cumin roast cauliflower. Then a low carb custard for pud.
Earl Grey tea, weak, with a slice of lemon. I’m trying to wean myself into black tea to make life easier when out.
@Goonergal I found a jar of almond butter had accidentally got into my shopping trolley this afternoon. I’m holding a sweepstake with myself as to how long it’ll last ( I’ve already opened it) Holland&Barratt don’t seem to do those individual sachets anymore sadly.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Apart from the K word and no instructions - possibly some liquid, perfect. The good news is no cream cheese or eggs - so far.:angelic: Found the link https://perfectketo.com/keto-sourdough-bread-recipe/- eggs:arghh: but no cream cheese:)

That was just a photo out of my recipe app, so, incomplete in most ways . Can you do just egg whites? Or look up vegan egg substitutes maybe.
PS eat the roast veg straight out of the oven and I guarantee you'll burn your tongue on tepid lol
"True to UK size" now I'm in trouble. Maybe there will be a size converter for me-- if they even ship here.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@DJC3 almond butter has obviously started to grow legs as some ended up in my backpack yesterday afternoon. There is none left :wideyed:. Neither is there any of the extra thick double cream left. So no prizes for guessing what I ate yesterday and early this morning.

Yesterday also involved pork belly slices chopped into pieces, salted and air fried and 2 delicious Barnsley lamb chops. The local butcher really does do amazing lamb.

Today started with almond butter and cream, then some more of the pork belly pieces - one of my favourite meals at the moment. Then nothing until dinner of ribeye steak - a touch on the small side so added a couple of (also small) eggs. Just had 2 squares Lindt 90% - a bar turned up in the post from my Dad!

Editing to say @zauberflote I find US equivalent sizes a bit smaller than UK sizes - for women a US 6 is supposedly a UK 10, and I’d usually go up a US size if buying when in the US.

B18756D3-7EC8-4B32-B043-071C0078B671.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@DJC3 almond butter has obviously started to grow legs as some ended up in my backpack yesterday afternoon. There is none left :wideyed:. Neither is there any of the extra thick double cream left. So no prizes for guessing what I ate yesterday and early this morning.

Yesterday also involved pork belly slices chopped into pieces, salted and air fried and 2 delicious Barnsley lamb chops. The local butcher really does do amazing lamb.

Today started with almond butter and cream, then some more of the pork belly pieces - one of my favourite meals at the moment. Then nothing until dinner of ribeye steak - a touch on the small side so added a couple of (also small) eggs. Just had 2 squares Lindt 90% - a bar turned up in the post from my Dad!

Editing to say @zauberflote I find US equivalent sizes a bit smaller than UK sizes - for women a US 6 is supposedly a UK 10, and I’d usually go up a US size if buying when in the US.

View attachment 44429

Your steak and eggs meal looks like a happy little face!
Agree that almond butter is sneaky stuff

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.5. FRIDAY - Still a bit stuffy & slightly breathless but overall not too bad. Friday is half day at school so after lunch I can return the boys home (which doesn't really affect Mum & Dad as boys want out to play). Fortunately, yesterday was a lovely day. Quite glad too since, by the time I picked them up at lunchtime, I'd been out since 8.20am going back and forward.
B. TAG and a very quick couple of these Ryvita thins with M&S whipped cheese.
L. After boys were eating (suspect they're growing the amount of food they're putting away) another TAG and a DGF bakewell.
D. Planned meal didn't happen as my salmon fillet was way past its sell by date. Ended up with 6 mini chicken wings, slice of ox tongue, mini mozzarella and 6 bistro tomatoes.
4 raspberries all on their own.

@Annb - I tend to agree with @zauberflote. Stress can be there without knowing it. You have so much going on at the moment you would have to be superhuman not to be stressed. I'm assuming there is no word on DIL or granddaughter yet?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast nut granola, 2 CWC
Lunch Ham and egg mayonnaise on pain Kapnor toast. Guessed the carbs yesterday, it is about 15 g for two slices.
Tea to drink
Cat to vet, microchipped ( that looks painful, it's a big needle) and rabies jab. Didn't make any fuss in the car. But shot out of the box and disappeared into the hedge when we got home.
Several hours, tea ( and biscuits) later he is back as if nothing had happened.
Dinner cod, ratatouille, roasted cauliflower with turmeric and celariac chips.
Wine ,coffee and lemon tea
Poor Cat! Out of curiosity, do you call Cat "Cat" or "Chat"?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: small packet of Cheesies followed by peach chia pudding with vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: strawberry carb killa bar and black coffee
Dinner: cheddar and mozzarella omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That was just a photo out of my recipe app, so, incomplete in most ways . Can you do just egg whites? Or look up vegan egg substitutes maybe.
PS eat the roast veg straight out of the oven and I guarantee you'll burn your tongue on tepid lol
"True to UK size" now I'm in trouble. Maybe there will be a size converter for me-- if they even ship here.
I don't mind eggs - we kept hens and I ate plenty- I just don't "do" eggs in bread. Apart from the Swoon Sister's flaxseed variant which isn't bread but we'll let that pass.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria make another scarf of different silk. Then you will have two when you recover the original!
@DJC3 I had a similar experience just an hour ago! Noticed the jar of tahini in the back corner of the fridge... that seems to have zero carbs but I can't eat too much because it acts like caffeine on my system. :-(
@Goonergal you are as bad as me with the almond butter!!! And thanks for the size equivalents advice.
@Rachox you come up with such delicious fruit combos with your chia pudding/granola! I keep meaning to say, when we go to our son+family's for Sunday lunch, I carry on bravely in your jaffa cake tradition with a little dessert sometimes. ;-)
@maglil55 I don't know how you keep going with the breathlessness. That would put me in a state of true panic.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Poor Cat! Out of curiosity, do you call Cat "Cat" or "Chat"?
We use Cat, but it wouldn't make any difference what we call him, he seems to ignore all vocal signals. While he is not deaf, i have wondered if he is hard of hearing. He can be startled when he should have been aware of a person approaching. Esp if the person is announcing their presence in an attempt to avoid frightening him.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What a difference a day makes ... after such a nice fresh day yesterday it rained the whole day so decided to burn some calories by hoovering the house and cleaning all the floors from top to bottom which I have been putting off until it was a really rainy day like today. From a negative turn it in to a positive. Also walked to and from optician's appointment with my umbrella in hand.

@DJC3 how strange someone parking on your driveway - you better keep your door locked in case they try to take over/come in to your house next. Btw I used to work for solicitors and house sales are always the same right up to the last gasp but no news is good news - you worry when the solicitor phones which they only usually do if there's a problem.

@Goonergal Almond butter - that's a new one on me - I must try it - is it in a jar like peanut butter and what is it usually beside in the supermarket?

Breakfast - 1 slice slc bread toasted with mug of earl grey before rushing out to optician appointment. Was a bit nervous about appointment as my last eye pressure was high end of normal (apparently nothing to do with diabetes) possibly glaucoma and was not any worse today so ok. Also I have had retinopathy on/off since diagnosis (and they have a machine that can see this) so was hoping it was not any worse as hospital appointments for April and July were cancelled and hopefully going ahead November? I have also noticed floaters but today's appointment confirmed all ok and not any worse since last time. Specsavers have a really good machine OCT that can take a picture of the back of your eyes and she confirmed all was ok there too and she explained it all to me which was helpful - so was happy today that I had got that appointment and felt re-assured as who knows when my next appointment will be at the hospital. To get this done it costs £10 but IMO well worth it for the peace of mind until I am back at the hospital.

Dinner - chicken curry with cauliflower rice, 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt and some nuts and I will leave it at that - I have felt hungry all day today.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a very nice dinner of Brussels sprouts with Danish blue and some cubed bacon and a burger with onion, bell pepper, and oyster mushrooms, but had a bit of trouble finishing my plate because ...

[stop reading here if you're about to eat!]

... I somehow fried a slug with my greens! And I only found out because that one piece of oyster mushroom had a weird taste and a strange chewy texture so I spit it out :sour::yuck::woot::hungover:

Still, I told myself to grow up and not a chance there would be a second slug in my meal so I did finish it. But more with trepidation (learnt a new word :happy:) than with enjoyment.
Dogs enjoyed a bite as well, but didn't fancy the spit out slug.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Almond butter - that's a new one on me - I must try it - is it in a jar like peanut butter and what is it usually beside in the supermarket?

Yes, jar like peanut butter and usually next to the peanut and other nut butters. It’s not usually available in the smaller (Metro/Local) branches. It’s a bit lower carb and less sweet than peanut butter, but equally moreish. The lowest carb brand I’ve found is Whole Earth smooth. The Pip&Nut crunchy is my favourite. It ain’t cheap! Especially in trendy London delis.

Hugs for the eye stuff. I have regular hospital checks at the glaucoma clinic - eye pressure always high at the optician. Better on the more sophisticated hospital equipment but still need to be seen. There’s glaucoma in my family and one of my sisters and I both have pigment dispersion syndrome which can be a precursor to glaucoma. All means I get to have my eyes dilated at that clinic as well as at the diabetic eye screening!

My optician has one of those machines too - and a snazzy one that shows close ups of my floaters. Fascinating.

Enjoy the almond butter when you find it!

Reactions: zauberflote

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the attraction of almond butter? I bought a jar months ago, had one spoonful and its been in the back of the fridge since. What am I missing doing to it?

Saturday starts with yoga so after showering etc stretched time until early lunch
Cheese, olives but learned from yesterday's mid afternoon hunger it wasn't enough so quickly threw together a 90 sec microwave bread. That did the trick and nothing else until dinner of more of last nights chicken casserole.

Have visitors tomorrow, one vegetarian, one no nuts, one birthday and one diabetic . Am away in someone else's kitchen so limited ingredients too. Its just as well I like a challenge!.
Have ended up making a nut free carrot cake.....but the wrong size tin, in an AGA, and without some of the coconut flakes recipe wanted. Used extra coconut flour instead. Will 'ice' with cream cheese it tomorrow. Fingers crossed

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.2 FBG was also 7.2. Weather today is really awful. It has been torrential rain all day. I'd hoped to remain indoors but son wanted a trip to Tesco so waterproofs on and out. @annabell1 - that is so weird. Why would the clock change be affected by Covid? @DJC3 - You must have breathed a huge sigh of relief to finally get the London abode completed. It's certainly been a long haul. Mrs T 123 - my Seriously low carb bread appeared today. I'll certainly be buying more of it. Texture is really good and it's good toast as well!
B. TAG and a couple of Ryvita thins with pate. Then....the postie arrived with my Seriously Low Carb bread so I had to have a slice toasted with butter. I like the taste of Skinny Bread better but the texture of this is more bread like.
L. Still pouring down so I had another TAG and a 2 slice sandwich with prawns & lettuce! Joy! DGF lemon and blueberry. My BGs fell at the 1 hr mark from 5.7 to 5 2 as well.
D. Having returned from unplanned trip to Tesco in the pouring rain, I made these beef wraps with the sliced peppers & red onion and the tomato/chilli sauce. Had a few veggie chips. Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and 6 raspberries.

@zauberflote - the breathlessness is not too bad now. It comes on more at night but paracetamol/hot showers/vicks vapour rub sorts it. When I first fell victim to this back in March it was awful. At the point I decamped to another bedroom I was propped up on about 4 pillows and some nights I could barely sleep at all. Contant steaming kept me going. This now is mild.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a difference a day makes ... after such a nice fresh day yesterday it rained the whole day so decided to burn some calories by hoovering the house and cleaning all the floors from top to bottom which I have been putting off until it was a really rainy day like today. From a negative turn it in to a positive. Also walked to and from optician's appointment with my umbrella in hand.

@DJC3 how strange someone parking on your driveway - you better keep your door locked in case they try to take over/come in to your house next. Btw I used to work for solicitors and house sales are always the same right up to the last gasp but no news is good news - you worry when the solicitor phones which they only usually do if there's a problem.

Breakfast - 1 slice slc bread toasted with mug of earl grey before rushing out to optician appointment. Was a bit nervous about appointment as my last eye pressure was high end of normal (apparently nothing to do with diabetes) possibly glaucoma and was not any worse today so ok. Also I have had retinopathy on/off since diagnosis (and they have a machine that can see this) so was hoping it was not any worse as hospital appointments for April and July were cancelled and hopefully going ahead November? I have also noticed floaters but today's appointment confirmed all ok and not any worse since last time. Specsavers have a really good machine OCT that can take a picture of the back of your eyes and she confirmed all was ok there too and she explained it all to me which was helpful - so was happy today that I had got that appointment and felt re-assured as who knows when my next appointment will be at the hospital. To get this done it costs £10 but IMO well worth it for the peace of mind until I am back at the hospital.

Dinner - chicken curry with cauliflower rice, 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt and some nuts and I will leave it at that - I have felt hungry all day today.
I was at Specsavers at Fort Kinaird pre lockdown and they are really good. They did my diabetic check as the Eye Pavilion had kind of "lost" me and should be sorting me out again. Maybe, perhaps, who knows? I'm due an appointment at the Eye Pavilion at the end of this month but I'm going to phone to make sure it's going ahead. I was diagnosed with glaucoma but it's no big deal. The drops they gave me is keeping it in line. I too had more than a few floaters but they seemed to have settled too.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, jar like peanut butter and usually next to the peanut and other nut butters. It’s not usually available in the smaller (Metro/Local) branches. It’s a bit lower carb and less sweet than peanut butter, but equally moreish. The lowest carb brand I’ve found is Whole Earth smooth. The Pip&Nut crunchy is my favourite. It ain’t cheap! Especially in trendy London delis.

Hugs for the eye stuff. I have regular hospital checks at the glaucoma clinic - eye pressure always high at the optician. Better on the more sophisticated hospital equipment but still need to be seen. There’s glaucoma in my family and one of my sisters and I both have pigment dispersion syndrome which can be a precursor to glaucoma. All means I get to have my eyes dilated at that clinic as well as at the diabetic eye screening!

My optician has one of those machines too - and a snazzy one that shows close ups of my floaters. Fascinating.

Enjoy the almond butter when you find it!
Many thanks for that - I seen the floaters too on her machine - have you had yours for a while then and do they come and go or get worse/better at times - sorry, I should have asked her today but it's always when you come out an appointment you have questions. I will calm down about the eye pressure too - it's re-assuring to hear that yours is usually lower at the hospital with their hi tech machines - many thanks - much appreciated.

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at Specsavers at Fort Kinaird pre lockdown and they are really good. They did my diabetic check as the Eye Pavilion had kind of "lost" me and should be sorting me out again. Maybe, perhaps, who knows? I'm due an appointment at the Eye Pavilion at the end of this month but I'm going to phone to make sure it's going ahead. I was diagnosed with glaucoma but it's no big deal. The drops they gave me is keeping it in line. I too had more than a few floaters but they seemed to have settled too.
Many thanks for that - much appreciated - I feel more re-assured now.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@SlimLizzy Awww poor Cat. One of my 16-yr-olds is losing his hearing. Takes him awhile to hear me rattling the kibbles jar. He gets startled too by us approaching. Two of my previous cats were quite blind with cataracts, but they got around just fine. Those were the only two we've ever had who lived their whole lives in one house/yard.
@Mrs T 123 oh boy we get to initiate you into the "too much almond butter was eaten and I swear I won't buy it again" club! Contrary to what @Goonergal says, it is very much more moreish than peanut butter....Glad your eye appt went so well, that sounds like a bargain basement price to me!
@Antje77 I am doing portobellas (however the heck it's spelled!) with blue cheese tomorrow on the grill! Poor little slug.... I'm sure it was very low carb....
@MrsA2 give that almond butter another try someday... you may not have used the right spoon Your carrot cake adventure, AGA included (stalwart you!) sounds like a success will happen.
@maglil55 now I am even more terrified! I had a spell of incredible chest tightness and what I didn't know was wheezing, 23 years ago after a bad cold, which later led to my surprise asthma dx when I went to do allergy testing. I would prop my elbows under me to get to sleep. I have two nice redolent (my favorite non-food smells all in one greasy gooey childhood memory) unopened jars of Vicks now, and should probably buy one of those personal face steamers. Our current other bedroom is the living room sofa...
Goodnight all, and good morning in a few hours!