What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had an ice cream maker for years, the kind where you keep the bowl frozen. Couple of quirks to get used to, eg it said add fridge cold mix to the bowl, well any time I did that it froze solid immediately so I used to add room temp mix and it worked fine BUT I cannot think of a single diabetes friendly recipe to use in it. All my old recipes have lashings of sugar and fruit and I don't think sweeteners have the bulk, texture or taste to cover it. There is a restaurateur in Scotland trying to produce commercial no sugar ice cream but its taking months if not years of development.
I haven't used my machine since being diagnosed :(
If anyone here does develop a good recipe let me know. I think there's money to be made in a decent product but its very difficult.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely lunch today. By chance we found cafe in Hungerford in Berkshire that did very diabetes friendly lunches. Choice of chicken, fish or quiche with 3 or 4 side salads only 1 of which had carbs in! The rest were just veggies, fresh and oh so tasty. I had cauliflower tabbouleh, roasted med veg and autumn squash mash (OK so the last wasnt so lc, but I was out and enjoying it!)

It was called Eliane's. Think there one near Ascot too.

D: sausages braised with cabbage and passata. 1 slice lc carrot cake and 1 mouthful hubbys fresh sourdough bread. Luckily it didn't make me want more. In fact I don't miss bread

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had an ice cream maker for years, the kind where you keep the bowl frozen. Couple of quirks to get used to, eg it said add fridge cold mix to the bowl, well any time I did that it froze solid immediately so I used to add room temp mix and it worked fine BUT I cannot think of a single diabetes friendly recipe to use in it. All my old recipes have lashings of sugar and fruit and I don't think sweeteners have the bulk, texture or taste to cover it. There is a restaurateur in Scotland trying to produce commercial no sugar ice cream but its taking months if not years of development.
If anyone here does develop a good recipe let me know. I think there's money to be made in a decent product but its very difficult.

I make icecream (at least I used to when berries were still on the menu) very simply.
It was approx 2/3 frozen fruit and 1/3 double cream, with sweetener to taste. I used remarkably little erythritol.

that would be easily translateable into an icecream maker, I think, if the fruit was pureed first.
It did need to be eaten immediately (oh the hardship!) because it sets solid in the freezer.
I used my vitamix, so it did all the blending and mixing in around 30 seconds.
Theres a youtube vid somewhere... (disappears off to find it)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make icecream (at least I used to when berries were still on the menu) very simply.
It was approx 2/3 frozen fruit and 1/3 double cream, with sweetener to taste. I used remarkably little erythritol.

that would be easily translateable into an icecream maker, I think, if the fruit was pureed first.
It did need to be eaten immediately (oh the hardship!) because it sets solid in the freezer.
I used my vitamix, so it did all the blending and mixing in around 30 seconds.
Theres a youtube vid somewhere... (disappears off to find it)
There's a version of that whizzing frozen berries and cream in a blender with sugar or sweetner to taste. Serve immediately as the textures doest keep well, goes hard and grainy

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Playing catch up again so thought I'd better get something out of the way before I forget! Sunday bed 6.9 FBG 6.3. Boys swimming day which was thankfully bright after yesterday's downpours. @Mrs T 123 - I'm still enjoying having bread just there. Mine are like farmhouse loaf shape. Have you tried the rolls as well? I'd heard about the Vicks thing with the feet but not tried it yet.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toasted with pate.
L. Pre swimming lesson trip - 2 slices SLC bread made into a bacon sandwich with 5 bits of crispy streaky bacon.
D. Usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco as well. Beef olives done in the IP with carrot/onion, peas and a cauliflower mash. DGF lemon and blueberry.

@Annb - so glad to read your DIL is fine. Now to hope for good news for your granddaughter soon.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
snipsnip
it)

Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about adding a little vodka to keep it from freezing solid?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 I know I have an ice cream recipe in my CMT. Loads of cream and chocolate and irresistible so....fatal attraction there. You just stir it in its bowl as it freezes up in the freezer, licking the spoon each time and then there's none left oops!

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Wonderful that your DIL received an all-clear. Any news on your granddaughter?
@ianpspurs -- So sorry to read about your DIL being hospitalized. Hugs. Hope all turns out well.
@Goonergal -- The pousson looks to die for. Happy that you enjoyed the cake.
@DCUKMod -- Definitely agree on the compressor machine. I bought a very simple machine on sale about 12 years ago (one where you have to freeze the bowl). While it works okay, its not optimal -- especially as I usually don't have space in the freezer for the bowl. I also admit the Musso icecream makers are an absolute luxury -- and I probably won't ever make enough icecream in my lifetime to make it worthwhile.
@annabell1 -- I remember egg nog from my time in the States, but don't know if it is the same where you are. Egg liqueur is similar, but also different. It's less sweet, thicker and boozier and contains fewer spices.
@MrsA2 -- It really shouldn't be too hard to make low-carb icecream. I am just planning to exchange the sugar for erythritol and not use any high carb ingredients. So vanilla, chocolate, espresso icecream shouldn't be a problem. Also lemon, lime, raspberry or strawberry sorbet should be fine. Especially looking forward to experimenting a bit.

Have felt little groggy with my beginning cold today, but now feel a bit better. Either the medicine has kicked in or the exercise has helped.

Today's meals ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream an erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese. A small piece of the egg-liqueur cake.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

Late night snack: Some cheese.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ziggy_w hope you continue to improve!
Gnom-gnom has a number of non-churned ice cream recipes; just as you say, erythritol instead of the sugar called for.
I want a Vitamix! My son has one, does that make him more grownup than me??

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Typing this @ 5.20 as I've been awake 2 hrs. Today will be another tea, coffee, bone broth with acv, toast and salad day - mackerel and avocado. @ziggy_w glad you are feeling a little better. DIL appears to be okay as she is resting in hospital but thanks for the concern. She is a nurse (teenage cancer ) and 12+ hr night shifts probably not helpful. Scan showed baby - another girl:arghh:- is fine. We have a cuisinart Ice cream maker somewhere - many things not unboxed until house finished - which works fine. I obviously don't use erith- I think just cream, fruit and stevia/liquid sucralose. We bought it because all the LC bought ice cream I tried were not to my taste. Grandchildren like the home made. @zauberflote just go to Costco and get a vitamix already:angelic:

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

If you can take fruit you can make ice cream with no added sugar. Freeze the fruit and add double cream to it and blitz in a food processor. It makes a soft, fairly sweet ice cream. You can rfeplace the cream with yoghurt, if you prefer. It does need to go into the freezer to firm up but it's very quick and easy.

Alternatively, you could use room temperature fruit and puree it (it's not bad done fairly rustically), then add to whipped double cream and freeze. Takes a bit longer but it works.

These are only if you can take the amount of sugar you find in the fruit. Works for soft fruits, including bananas (these would need to be frozen in fairly small chunks, if you don't want to break the blade on your food processor).

Haven't tried it in an ice cream maker (gave mine away years ago) but there's no reason why it shouldn't work using the room temp method.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast melted cheese on 2 RyVita.

Later on I'll have the sausage and cabbage casserole I made a couple of days ago.

I just realised, I am now taking slightly more of the short acting insulin than I used to take of the previous type. I might as well go back to the Humilin S.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @PenguinMum, @zauberflote and @ianpspurs,

Thanks so much for your kind wishes. It's very much appreciated. Still sneezing, but thinking doesn't feel quite as fuzzy anymore.

Hope you are feeling much better soon. Colds may not be very serious but they can be very miserable.

My cold is still developing (taking its time about it too). Had an awful night (probably partly because of my cold and the viral hangover) and had to get up at 3 am. Everything was just too painful to stay where I was, so I came through to the kitchen and took a full dose of Co-codamol and sat in the chair, hoping it would work - even turned the TV on the lull me to sleep. It worked until Neil wandered through at 4.30. Since then I've been struggling to get going.

Getting up in the middle of the night is always a risky business - that is when I can only stagger around and risk falling over, but at least I am aware of it and go very carefully, hugging the wall where possible and planting my stick very firmly in more open spaces. I really don't know how, or when, it came to this pass. Must have just crept up on me unnoticed.

Waiting for a phone call from a GP - my blood test from last week is back so I need to talk to someone about it. The "new" short acting insulin has almost run out, so I need to call diabetes centre as well to see if I should just go back to the Humilin S.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 - Nigella does plenty of no-churn ice creams. Many involve alcohol, but quite a few are thickened by adding citrus to the cream.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/search?term=no+churn+icecream&occasion=&theme=&members=yes

One such example, very popular in this hacienda when we have grown up guests is: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/no-churn-margarita-ice-cream

Of course for the sugar-swervers amongst us, there needs to be some sweetness meddling. Not having a sweet tooth, I just taste the tip of a teaspoon in the making and that's enough for me.