Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without meaning to insult @bulkbiker why should he be able to answer your question any more “correctly/factually than anyone else? It’s not an opinion, it’s a matter of science and law.

@carol43 - or any other member - is perfectly at liberty to tag/ask the opinion of whomever they like. Just as others reading the thread are at liberty to place as much or as little weight on said opinion as they choose.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, he is her only patient.

I've had had experience in the past with my mother being full time career for my T2 dad with me as local support & a regular carer package assigned to give my mum "respite." I've done my fair share of "dadsitting" too..

Mental health for the full time carer is imperative.
My sister now takes full time care of my mum & give my sister's family a break for a week or two living in with a visiting carer I normally plan an itinerary we were and was actively looking forward to August whilst my sister & family were on holiday.. Then covid.

I feel your son did the right thing informing you of his situation.
I saw my sister at my BiL's funeral not long ago.. (The last time was Christmas.)

I would have done the same phoned (nay video called.) & informed.

Best wishes with your choice regarding your news. & all the best to your son & his family..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker Just had a row with my son over the phone. He has tested postive as well as his son, aged 5, another two added to the 'cases'. A couple of weeks ago they both had a chest infection but my DIL didn't. He said that he wants us to get a test because we have met up with them. I told him that we do not want a test and he shouted very loudly. Should we be tested?

If it helps you to decide then my place of work asks the following questions (bearing in mind my occupation involves a gazillion close contacts with others in uncontrolled circumstances); Were you within 1 metre of the person who has tested positive in a face to face conversation within the preceding 48 hours OR were you more than 15 minutes in that person's company within the preceding 48 hours? If the answer is yes, then we are told to self isolate followed by a test. If the answer is no then we carry on as normal UNLESS we are displaying any Covid symptoms. x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carol43 - or any other member - is perfectly at liberty to tag/ask the opinion of whomever they like. Just as others reading the thread are at liberty to place as much or as little weight on said opinion as they choose.
Fair point. I wasn’t suggesting she shouldn’t ask or listen to anyone she wishes to ask.

Just making the point that no one person has a monopoly on opinions. Facts of law are another matter

Apologies if it came across otherwise.

Reactions: KK123

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker Just had a row with my son over the phone. He has tested postive as well as his son, aged 5, another two added to the 'cases'. A couple of weeks ago they both had a chest infection but my DIL didn't. He said that he wants us to get a test because we have met up with them. I told him that we do not want a test and he shouted very loudly. Should we be tested?

The advice is-You do not need a test unless you show symptoms. Have you been in close proximity? If yes isolate for 14 days. You may test negative if you tested now but still get it in 13 days. That’s how long this stupid virus can take to show itself. People rushing off getting a test without symptoms are part of the problem. It tells you nothing unless you have symptoms. If you live in an area like I do that has been under watch, now in a high are, you should not have been in close proximity anyway so in that case you will be safe!!!!!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice is-You do not need a test unless you show symptoms. Have you been in close proximity? If yes isolate for 14 days. You may test negative if you tested now but still get it in 13 days. That’s how long this stupid virus can take to show itself. People rushing off getting a test without symptoms are part of the problem. It tells you nothing unless you have symptoms. If you live in an area like I do that has been under watch, now in a high are, you should not have been in close proximity anyway so in that case you will be safe!!!!!

Are there situations where you don't have symptoms but have it in the time it takes for symptoms to appear?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there situations where you don't have symptoms but have it in the time it takes for symptoms to appear?
Of course. You can be asymptomatic but positive if you were tested in that 14 days. In this scenario though you would, under current advice, have no grounds to test so wouldn’t know. The only way you would know you were positive is to lie about symptoms and get a test or be qualified under a research scheme or employment basis. (Eg care home worker)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good reason not to download Serco's app?
I’m sure that’s one reason why people don’t but the app is specifically excluded from the legislation as being a legal requirement to isolate. It is advisory unless nhs employee or agent. Shame but will please people sharing your views.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I actually agree with you on this one....
And having read some similar issues I too have chosen not to download it. But then I go to so few places and in such a way as I personally know anyone who I could possibly expose according to their guidelines (2m 15mins) and would update them as soon as there was any concern anyway. By and large I trust them to do the same, more than I would the app anyway.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And having read some similar issues I too have chosen not to download it. But then I go to so few places and in such a way as I personally know anyone who I could possibly expose according to their guidelines (2m 15mins) and would update them as soon as there was any concern anyway. By and large I trust them to do the same, more than I would the app anyway.
Yes I am very much the same.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We should also be aware that Liverpool's ICU/HDU beds are always 80-90% full at this point of the year (the Liverpool hospitals contend it is the former figure in spite of all the politicians desperate to lock down the city including its own mayor holding out the begging bowl to fund it).
And given the situation with the tests and the difficulty of classification (dying with or of Covid) it is perhaps sensible to look at excess mortality. This was clearly higher in April but has dipped below expected over the high Summer months. It is possible that regardless of the 2nd 'ripple' we might end up with no excess mortality this year in total.