Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, hope you enjoy what’s left too.
Good morning all.
Younger daughter and family are making the most of their region’s earlier half term and are off to the seaside today for a three days’ break from life in the maelstrom of education: class closures, online tutorials, online lectures, last minute cancellation of part-time zero hour contracts after the prep’s completed, staff vulnerability, sufficient PPE, etc etc. Really hope they have a great time and a different kind of cheerful isolation!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well so much for no effects from the flu jab! I never expect side effects from drugs/vaccinations/medical interventions, but I got them this time. Same as last year actually, which was the first time it'd happened to me. About 8.30/9pm yesterday I started to shiver uncontrollably, no fever, but cold and my arm ached like crazy. Went to bed and, apart from waking up once, slept for ten hours, unheard of for me. Today just feel wiped out, though I do also feel a bit as if I might have a cold. I realise you can't get flu from a vaccination and I might have had a cold coming on anyway (though I don't usually get them), or it could be another bit of the side effects. Having trouble staying warm today too, so I'm having a wholly unproductive day indoors with the heating on - again, unheard of for me at this time of year.

Insult to injury, when I woke in the night I checked with Libre - sensor error, start a new one. So that means a call to Abbott tomorrow as it wasn't going to start ever again, the new one hasn't been soaked and is reading quite high at the moment. I realised how dependent on it I've become when I tested in the night with my meter instead, was 4 something and had no idea whether to eat something as I have a tendency these days for bgs to go down overnight. I didn't and was 7 when I woke up, rising ever since. Oh the joys...

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think the powers that be have kind of admitted that some can have flu like symptoms from getting the vaccine. You can also react to the base ingredients. Different manufacturers put different "other" ingredients into vaccines. If you know the brand name of the one you got you can look up the ingredients. Some people have bad reactions to some vaccines.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Marie, I've no idea but I could check with my surgery. Thankfully feeling much better now!

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ all, mornin’ Karen.
I decided this morning that I’d watch the birds from the bedroom window before looking at my phone. Ring doves, long tailed ****, sparrows, bluetits, a couple of magpies, a wood pigeon, a jackdaw and a sleeping cat on the bed. Much nicer than the news!
Hope you’re flu jab response free today @hh1, that the week before half term’s free of hassles @ Japes, that the sealife’s glorious @Marie 2, and everyone has a good day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, hope your'e all doing ok and keeping safe,

We have a new addition to our family, a rescue cat from the RSPCA, a little girl aged around 14 months and she was found as a stray in another town. She is friendly, quite inquisitive, eats like a horse ( so it goes in one end, then out the other lol ) and at times, she is as mad as a box of frogs :hilarious: :wacky:

Meet Autumn :cat:

Image_1602072557 - Edited.jpg

Image_1602074916 (1) - Edited.jpg
DSC_2704 - Edited.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, good one Karen, ain't that the truth! Don't know where yesterday went, just really busy, and thanks @Fairygodmother, yes, fully recovereed from flu jab reaction, was fine yesterday.

@Robinredbreast she's adorable! Bet you're in love already.

I'm facing the joys of a trip tot he tip today with a monumental amount of garden waste and other assorted rubbish, plus sorting out new tyres for the car, a trip to the charity shop and a few bits of shopping. Hope your day goes well whatever you're doing.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, it's wet wet wet here today, not looking forward to dog walking at all. Woke on 6.1, happy with that, I've moved all the furniture out of my spare room (actually some of it was moved by friends - the wardrobe in particular was beyond me on my own) and the carpet's being taken up this afternoon as I'm having new furniture fitted. My house is therefore a bit of a maze to navigate upstairs as there's stuff everywhere....but this should lead to the grand clear out that others seem to have done during lockdown and I blithely ignored :banghead:

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh we had a whole room (a larger bonus room) stuffed with stuff while they were putting tile into 2 other rooms. Pathways to the windows and closets and a narrow area to sit at a desk. Most has been moved back into them but not everything, We have some stuff we need to look at too. The thrift stores over here don't want things, they are stuffed, more people getting rid of stuff than buying. Goodwill does collect stuff once a month to send overseas, not sure where lol...............

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waves feebly at the world... when will it be half-term?!? This dealing with the world of additional needs education along with the various new routines and wondering just what's going to happen next is definitely more exhausting than usual.

Except half term seems to have filled up with the medical appointments missed/cancelled since March plus I really should book a hair cut and stock up the freezers and cupboards again - the positive cases amongst our staff are slowly increasing, plus our first set of students are now quarantined. Thankfully, no positive student cases yet.

In the meantime, I officially will not be called for routine eye screening this year as I have never had any signs of damage to my eyes. However, I've been reassured if I notice anything to make sure I let them know! I do have a routine regular eye check booked soon - though not in half term!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sending hugs Japes, and hope you remain safe and well, and can get some time to yourself in half term to rest or go for a walk etc between appointments and food shopping. A lot of people are feeling exhausted aren't they?
Regarding routine eye screening, I understand why they've said you won't be called, but with Diabetes you don't always notice anything different in your vision, so it's good you've got a routine regular eye check soon.
Had pain behind my eye last week, and when I rang the opticians mid afternoon I was told to come for an appointment at 9 a.m the next day. Was extremely impressed with the them, and although I've still got pain, nothing unusual was found.

Reactions: Japes and Marie 2