Nurse appointment

Stephanie 1233

Had the nurse today to do blood work she also checked my blood sugar which was 12.3 I said to her I am checking my sugars four times a day or if I eat something new and then had to see another nurse who said you shouldn't be checking it at all as I am on metformin and don't need to I was confused. But I am still checking it no matter what has anyone else had this ? They also said to me my hbca1was high too even though I have changed my diet .

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Hi, I’m sure you’ll get many more informed answers other than mine but I had a similar experience with my GP and nurse. Told me exactly the same. I’m on Metformin too 500mg 3 x daily. I tried to explain to both of them that unless I know what ‘spikes’ my sugar level it’s like driving blindfolded. They still disagreed but I ignored them. I take my blood levels everyday and know exactly what spikes me and what doesn’t and because of it I’ve reduced my Hba1C considerably. I certainly won’t stop as it helps me immensely.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still test regularly over three years from diagnosis! It keeps me informed about my condition and keeps me on the straight and narrow. The cynic in me says that if your Health Care Professionals agree with testing for type 2s (not on any medication that would risk hypos) then the NHS would have to fund it.

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The general advice from my Nurses and GP's is not to test if your on diet alone or diet and metformin.

The view here is that is bad advice as you don't know how what your eating changes your bloods so you can make changes without testing.

That aside, 12.3 is high and suggests your taking in more carbs then you can process and if they said your HBA1C is high you cant get away from that but i would be wanting to know the exact figure if i were you. Have you been getting such high readings with your own testing?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the nurse today to do blood work she also checked my blood sugar which was 12.3 I said to her I am checking my sugars four times a day or if I eat something new and then had to see another nurse who said you shouldn't be checking it at all as I am on metformin and don't need to I was confused. But I am still checking it no matter what has anyone else had this ? They also said to me my hbca1was high too even though I have changed my diet .

So how would you have known about your reading of 12.3 which is higher than it should be thus allowing you to do something about it AT the time not 3 months later, are you supposed to wait 3 months or more then before getting a summary of how high your readings must have been over the preceding 3 months? Would you mind telling us what you changed your diet from and to, we may be able to give you some tips. x

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
A small comment from me. Would you drive a car without a speedo. No, of course you wouldn't. It's vital to know what you can safely eat and what you can't. Regular testing is vital on a daily basis to keep you on the straight and narrow. I agree entirely with Daibell

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will find that there are still GPs and nurses who believe that. There are some that also understand why you should WANT to check that, but they are restricted in what they can prescribe and so probably don't want t encourage you to tap THEM for the supplies.

For many it is a no brainer. You need to see what spikes you, in what quantity so you can work around it. And for every one of us that finds our way here... there are people who you will meet in the surgery waiting room who will blindly takes the tabs the GP prescribes and keep doing their thing.

They are not the ones dealing with it.. you are, so keep testing. You are doing the right thing.

Stephanie 1233

Thanks for the help much appricated I still tweaking my diet my blood sugars are still quiet high 9.2 but I trying my hardest too thank you for the advice too. I will continue to check my sugars I also have written d airy on what foods spike me or if I try a new food.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the help much appricated I still tweaking my diet my blood sugars are still quiet high 9.2 but I trying my hardest too thank you for the advice too. I will continue to check my sugars I also have written d airy on what foods spike me or if I try a new food.
Good luck with the detective work! Sorting out the root cause may take a while but I agree with the rest. You have to test but also understand what the results mean. Many GPs and nurses are not so keen on the low carb/high fat way of eating which is the logical way for type 2 diabetics to eat IMO and so why would they want diabetics to find out that those healthy low fat wholegrains etc. cause a prolonged spike! And they certainly cannot afford testing strips for such a large segment of the population...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

It's common place advice (Cost cutting advice actually) and it is appalling advice. It just shows a complete lack of knowledge on the subject and these are the people who are supposed to know what they are talking about, but clearly don't.

As has been stated, you can't manage if you don't measure... so good on you for continuing to test. And don't be bullied into not testing, which can happen. This is your health at stake and you can't learn if you don't test. This is in part how T2 becomes progressive....ignoring levels is never a good idea. You can bring a halt to progression and lower Hba1c levels and glucose levels by low carbing and monitoring. You just have to be proactive, and you are doing that!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

A food log is a very good idea I kept a paper food diary/log for some time helped immensely I now use carb manager app on my phone and the mySugr app there are other similar apps available.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/food-diary.html