Cholesterol and Statins

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Another cholesterol related question:
Where in the SW can I get an LDL Particle Test? The 'closest' I can find is London and I really don't want to go there just now for obvious reasons. I'm trying all the private hospitals that I know of in my area but am being greeted with "Oh, never heard of that one. . . . " My GP has told me that they won't do it. So frustrating . . .
Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another cholesterol related question:
Where in the SW can I get an LDL Particle Test? The 'closest' I can find is London and I really don't want to go there just now for obvious reasons. I'm trying all the private hospitals that I know of in my area but am being greeted with "Oh, never heard of that one. . . . " My GP has told me that they won't do it. So frustrating . . .
Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Not cheap and I have no idea about these guys or the service they provide but they seem to do it...

https://smartnutrition.co.uk/health...iovascular-risk-assessment/cv-health-profile/

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Another problem now I had an ultra sound scan on my gall gladder on Friday,( following an agonising bout of pain), which showed an inflamed, non~functioning gall bladder full of stones. I'm now waiting for a MRI scan and appointment with a consultant. In the meantime, research suggests a low fat diet until the problem can be treated, so as not stress the gall bladder. How on earth do I balance a LCHF way of eating, which has successfully kept pre~diabetes at bay for 5 years with a low fat diet???

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another problem now I had an ultra sound scan on my gall gladder on Friday,( following an agonising bout of pain), which showed an inflamed, non~functioning gall bladder full of stones. I'm now waiting for a MRI scan and appointment with a consultant. In the meantime, research suggests a low fat diet until the problem can be treated, so as not stress the gall bladder. How on earth do I balance a LCHF way of eating, which has successfully kept pre~diabetes at bay for 5 years with a low fat diet???
As far as I understand LCHF, we increase the fat intake for two basic reasons.
Firstly, the increased fat helps to reduce hunger pangs and reduce carb cravings by hitting the satiety hormones (Grehlin and Leptin). Reducing fat intake will mean greater control of your diet, but this may be offset by the second point

Which is:- increased fat is needed in LCHF to support the fat burning mode (ketosis) and to provide the alternative fuel so that the body is not scavenging muscle tissue for fuel. The answer to this when lowering fat intake is to eat enough carbs to keep your blood glucose above the keto trigger level so that you avoid ketosis. Now that trigger point varies for all of us, but generally it is considered that a carb intake of around 80g per day will be needed. This will still allow resonable control of BGL but not the very low target you may be seeking. However, as a prediabetic this may not be a problem while you wait resolution of the gall bladder issue.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As far as I understand LCHF, we increase the fat intake for two basic reasons.
Firstly, the increased fat helps to reduce hunger pangs and reduce carb cravings by hitting the satiety hormones (Grehlin and Leptin). Reducing fat intake will mean greater control of your diet, but this may be offset by the second point

Which is:- increased fat is needed in LCHF to support the fat burning mode (ketosis) and to provide the alternative fuel so that the body is not scavenging muscle tissue for fuel. The answer to this when lowering fat intake is to eat enough carbs to keep your blood glucose above the keto trigger level so that you avoid ketosis. Now that trigger point varies for all of us, but generally it is considered that a carb intake of around 80g per day will be needed. This will still allow resonable control of BGL but not the very low target you may be seeking. However, as a prediabetic this may not be a problem while you wait resolution of the gall bladder issue.

Many thanks. That is exactly what I am doing! The carbs I am consuming are all wholemeal/high fibre; am also increasing the water intake. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldvatr

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
How about upping your protein intake until it’s resolved? I’m doing higher protein and my BG levels are similar to what they were when I was in ketosis. Just a thought

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good article on Cholesterol and Statins in Psychology Today (from Sept 2017) - not sure if its in this thread already:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201709/low-brain-cholesterol-separating-fact-

I wasn't aware that even Pravastatin (Pravachol) crosses the blood-brain barrier and so interferes with the brain's vital production of Cholesterol.
Sadly the website is correct. but the link is Page Not Found

Edit think this may work
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201906/8-reasons-try-low-carb-mental-health

It's not the same article, but a similar topic by Georgia Ede.

There is also another interesting article on this site
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201903/the-brain-needs-animal-fat

Ahm finally. I think this is the one.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...low-brain-cholesterol-separating-fact-fiction

These all worked on my PC. Let me know if they don't work for you,

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to follow Aseem's diet (PIOPPI) and found this article very interesting. I believe the subject of statin use was discussed in a Commons Select committee last week, and the result was that the current guidelines will remain in place and that there is a new disease being recognized by the healthcare industry. It is NOCEBO which is the condition where there are psychosomatic symptoms of side effects caused by the act of taking a statin and is in effect an antithesis of a placebo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54951648

I wonder who paid for their study?
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14740338.2019.1615053
This one claims the study was not funded. Eh?

This paper was published by Elsevier in 2016
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27578103/
Cannot find the actual study report, but it seems to be a coda to another RCT trial into a type of statin being developed. The term PCSK9 inhibitor is tagged for this abstract.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Oldvatr, post: 2331663, member: 196898" It is NOCEBO which is the condition where there are psychosomatic symptoms of side effects caused by the act of taking a statin and is in effect an antithesis of a placebo.

.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like classic patient blaming to me...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="Oldvatr, post: 2331663, member: 196898" It is NOCEBO which is the condition where there are psychosomatic symptoms of side effects caused by the act of taking a statin and is in effect an antithesis of a placebo.

Sounds like classic patient blaming to me...[/QUOTE]

There was discussion in Gov reported recently, but the original post you put up is dated
Published 03 September 2019) in the BMJ it is behind a paywall.
https://www.bmj.com/content/366/bmj.l5380.full

The TV reported the Nocebo as being the primary outcome from what I remember, but I cannot find any record in Hansard.so it did not get to the floor for debate. Lost without trace it seems.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be a lot of stuff I haven't seen before arriving today..
Lies, more lies and statin statistics.. the harms they can do.
https://www.jpands.org/vol20no2/miller.pdf
That one seems to hit below the belt. Thanks for sharing it. Most of what he writes here I have read from other sources so not a surprise to me, but interesting how efficiently he has collated it all together.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That one seems to hit below the belt. Thanks for sharing it. Most of what he writes here I have read from other sources so not a surprise to me, but interesting how efficiently he has collated it all together.
That's what I though.. a well collated piece.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH was put on a statin after being referred to the chest pain clinic and waited for an angiogram - after much deliberation he decided to take them but lasted 2 weeks before side effects inc nausea and brain fog made him come off them. He had his angiogram a couple of weeks ago and his arteries were clear despite having high cholesterol! It’s worrying how many other patients are taking statins when they don’t need to because they are told to or perceived to have a problem.